IGNORED

Olympics and Fundies

Markie

With the Winter Olympics beginning tomorrow, I was wondering if Fundies follow the Olympics or if they have issues with them? I am sure many are in line with Russia's treatment of gays. The Winter uniforms are more modest than the Summer ones. I seem to remember Kristina's hubby getting his knickers in a knot about the London Olympics commemorating National Health Care. Have any Fundies been blogging about the Sochi Olympics?

Doug Wilson might blog about the Olympics. IIRC, he did some post a couple of years back in which he trashed male figure skaters.

Doug Wilson might blog about the Olympics. IIRC, he did some post a couple of years back in which he trashed male figure skaters.

That's interesting because Scott Hamilton is a member of the Church of Christ and campaigned for Romney...

I remember what Kristina's husband did. It's was one of the first things I read on this site. Considering many don't watch TV some might not realize its going on. But I agree that they probably agree w/ Russia & gays.

A friend of mine was confronted at her evangelical "Bible" church for her love of the Olympics. They told her the whole thing had "pagan origins" and was unacceptable. I heard the same thing from some Christian school co-workers way back when.

I'm sure some of them would object to people like Holly Brooks and Kikkan Randall who are 31 and not popping out babies. Holly actually got married and *gasp* continued to train for the Olympics. Which she started at age 27, unlike other most Olympians. The time and expense of being an Olympic athlete takes away from The Family Unit, which we all know is the real god/idol of fundamental christians.

That's interesting because Scott Hamilton is a member of the Church of Christ and campaigned for Romney...

So that just blew my mind. I always assumed he is gay and just very private about it, and not because I think all male figure skaters are gay (hello, Phillipe Caldeloro).

So that just blew my mind. I always assumed he is gay and just very private about it, and not because I think all male figure skaters are gay (hello, Phillipe Caldeloro).

Scott skated in that god-awful polyester jumpsuit thing in the 1984 Olympics precisely because he wanted to avoid that stereotype of male skaters.

He is now married with a couple of kids.

I question that he is all that far right wing Christian, though. He lived with one girlfriend for over ten years prior to meeting his wife. He was with her when he published his memoir in 1999.

I remember what Kristina's husband did. It's was one of the first things I read on this site. Considering many don't watch TV some might not realize its going on. But I agree that they probably agree w/ Russia & gays.

I had forgotten that her husband had done some really crazy rant that didn't make a lot of sense. Does he still have a public FB? I don't hear much about Kristina anymore.

Scott skated in that god-awful polyester jumpsuit thing in the 1984 Olympics precisely because he wanted to avoid that stereotype of male skaters.

He is now married with a couple of kids.

I question that he is all that far right wing Christian, though. He lived with one girlfriend for over ten years prior to meeting his wife. He was with her when he published his memoir in 1999.

I was born in 1982, so I don't really remember his competitive skating years. I pretty much only know him from his commentary and media appearances. I guess I never paid enough attention to hear him talking about his family, and his mannerism have always set off my gaydar (I really hate that term, but can't think of a better way to articulate). Now that I'm seeing him with new eyes/perspective, I'm wondering if the mannerisms I attributed to gender non-conformity really come from a somewhat sheltered upbringing (physically small kid, suffered serious/mysterious illness early in life).

I was born in 1982, so I don't really remember his competitive skating years. I pretty much only know him from his commentary and media appearances. I guess I never paid enough attention to hear him talking about his family, and his mannerism have always set off my gaydar (I really hate that term, but can't think of a better way to articulate). Now that I'm seeing him with new eyes/perspective, I'm wondering if the mannerisms I attributed to gender non-conformity really come from a somewhat sheltered upbringing (physically small kid, suffered serious/mysterious illness early in life).

He doesn't talk about his family when commentating. Can't think of any reference ever. He does sometimes tweet about them, though.

GeoBQn wrote:I doubt it, since broomball is not yet an Olympic event.

Curling uses brooms. And it is played on ice.

Aren't you to take a shot of whisky for each end of curling? :naughty: Picture Josh Duggar. :lol:

No he's definitely Church of Christ. The thing about the CoC is that each denomination is independent. You will find some that are very Fundy to almost mainstream. The one I attended many years ago was fundie-lite. I'm assuming that he is closer to fundie-lite.

No he's definitely Church of Christ. The thing about the CoC is that each denomination is independent. You will find some that are very Fundy to almost mainstream. The one I attended many years ago was fundie-lite. I'm assuming that he is closer to fundie-lite.

Given that he doesn't openly preach about his conversion (and as a serious fan of skating, I've been paying attention), I would guess that he is in a more mainstream congregation. The Church of Christ in question is one of the groups that came from the Campbellite/Restoration movement. They include congregations called "Church of Christ", "Christian (Disciples of Christ), and just "Christian Church". Meanwhile there is another group called the Church of Christ that usually includes the words "Meets Here" on their buildings (because the church is the people...). The latter group is fundy. The first three are a mix of mainstream and evangelical. On top of that, there is the United Church of Christ which is mainstream Congregationalism.

Slightly off topic, but since we are talking about Scott Hamilton, can I just say how much I love him as a commentator? So passionate about skating, kind and fair to all the participants without being a sycophant.

Maybe Fundies won't watch ice skating because they skate to music and they dance. Their loss. Skating is a thing of beauty. Off topic but of interest, I'm old enough to remember that back in the day the skaters were required to slowly skate actual figures on the ice and then the judges would come onto the ice and examine the figures and score them. I can't remember what the figures were other than the figure eight. I remember it as boring to watch, though. Thank goodness they eliminated that portion of the judging.

Maybe Fundies won't watch ice skating because they skate to music and they dance. Their loss. Skating is a thing of beauty. Off topic but of interest, I'm old enough to remember that back in the day the skaters were required to slowly skate actual figures on the ice and then the judges would come onto the ice and examine the figures and score them. I can't remember what the figures were other than the figure eight. I remember it as boring to watch, though. Thank goodness they eliminated that portion of the judging.

Wow, I didn't know that was the origin of "figure" skating. Were there also more interesting parts with jumps and spins and things?

As to the fundies--the only thing I remember a fundie-lite friend saying about the Olympics was that her parents said the Russians had rigged all the outcomes. This was in the time of Oksana Baiul, I think, and I doubt it was fundie-specific. And now Wikipedia tells me she skated for Ukraine anyway!

Archived