IGNORED

La. Teacher Tells Buddhist Student He's 'Stupid' And Bible I

Californiacicle

Here's the ACLU's press release:

https://www.aclu.org/religion-belief/la ... hool-board

If you scroll down to the bottom, you can read the lawsuit and see the exhibits.

Exhibit C has the Jesus picture, which is an abominable piece of dreck. Not even going to call it art. With all the great masterpieces of Jesus out there, they went with that???

https://www.aclu.org/religion-belief/la ... us-picture

Links not broken because the ACLU is probably thrilled people are looking at their lawsuit!

And the school board issued a statement. We can see where they're going with this.

Superintendent Sara Ebarb was unavailable Wednesday for comment, but on a statement released by the board on Thursday reads, "The Sabine Parish School Board has only recently been made aware of the lawsuit filed by the ACLU. A lawsuit only represents one side's allegations, and the board is disappointed that the ACLU chose to file suit without even contacting it regarding the facts.

The school system recognizes the rights of all students to exercise the religion of their choice and will defend the lawsuit vigorously."

http://www.ksla.com/story/24523749/sabi ... harassment

The argument is going to be that the school district is allowing the students to express their religious beliefs in school. The reality is that this isn't going to work--exhibits A and B show a *teacher's* test. And the school district controls the venue by allowing signs in the hall, the Jesus pictures, the scrolling Bible verses, etc. The Sabine Parish School Board would do well to settle this case yesterday, based on previous case law.

Have mercy that science teacher makes me ashamed to be called a science teacher. How dare she make fun of her student , we are there to be an adult and teach tolerance and compassion to our students along with the subject matter. When i read the title I was really hoping it was not Louisiana.

That's really classy, really mature. :roll:

At first I thought it was a religious school simply because of the name "Sabine Parish School Board" (where I live the school boards/districts go by numbers), but even if it was a religious school, why the fuck is the teacher making fun of her student? I can't even wrap my head around this stupidity!

the parents let this happen so they need to be held accountable too. but of course if you are a good christian this is just fine. Because we all know if kids just pray in school they all will be fantastic kids.

That's really classy, really mature. :roll:

At first I thought it was a religious school simply because of the name "Sabine Parish School Board" (where I live the school boards/districts go by numbers), but even if it was a religious school, why the fuck is the teacher making fun of her student? I can't even wrap my head around this stupidity!

Due to its Catholic history, Louisiana uses the word "parish" where other states would refer to "districts".

Due to its Catholic history, Louisiana uses the word "parish" where other states would refer to "districts".

Or county. Louisiana doesn't have counties, per se; they have parishes, e.g. Chinquapin Parish (in Steel Magnolias).

Or county. Louisiana doesn't have counties, per se; they have parishes, e.g. Chinquapin Parish (in Steel Magnolias).

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for clearing that up for me. :) Figured it had to do with the Catholic history somewhat. I'm on the West Coast of Canada, so no counties here, school districts are numbered (the Catholic school districts have their church's parish as well as the city school district number), and if any teacher did anything like that they'd loose their job - there was one teacher who actually got suspended for repeatedly calling a student named Anna "Anna-Banana" when she raised her hand to answer questions.

science teacher Rita Roark at Negreet High School, teaches students that evolution is “impossible†while the Bible is “100 percent true.

Why would they hire this person as a science teacher in the first place? If a science teacher doesn't accept evolution, they shouldn't a science teacher. We wouldn't let someone be a math teacher if they disbelieved in the existence of addition and taught that it didn't exist.

Why would they hire this person as a science teacher in the first place? If a science teacher doesn't accept evolution, they shouldn't a science teacher. We wouldn't let someone be a math teacher if they disbelieved in the existence of addition and taught that it didn't exist.

It's from Wikipedia, but still...

The Louisiana Science Education Act, Act 473 (SB733) of 2008[1] is a controversial law passed by the Louisiana Legislature on June 11, 2008 and signed into law by Governor Bobby Jindal on June 25. The act allows public school teachers to use supplemental materials in the science classroom which are critical of established science on such topics as the theory of evolution and global warming.[2][3] Louisiana was the first state to have passed a law of this type.

It's from Wikipedia, but still...

I hope the Jewish FJites won't mind if I borrow a Yiddishism, but Oy Vey!

• 3 weeks later...

There really are two different Americas aren't there? I live in a "conservative" area of a blue state and this sort of stuff wouldn't fly for an instant.

the parents let this happen so they need to be held accountable too. but of course if you are a good christian this is just fine. Because we all know if kids just pray in school they all will be fantastic kids.

I have always found it ironic, that the kids (and the parents) who bitched about not having compulsory prayer in school, were usually amoral assholes.

There really are two different Americas aren't there? I live in a "conservative" area of a blue state and this sort of stuff wouldn't fly for an instant.

Definitely. That teacher would never have been hired where I live, because we teach only evolution, period, and displaying religious things or putting down anyone's religious beliefs in public school is socially taboo.

• 1 month later...

The student won his settlement.

thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/03/19/3416146/bhuddhist-student-wins-settlement-with-louisiana-school-district-that-called-his-religion-stupid/

saw that man that's great though I bet the kid is getting hell from other christian students you know the only moral people.

In my experience the kids who scream the loudest about prayer are always the biggest assholes.

Archived