IGNORED

Quick someone help right to life rally

doggie

I have empathy for those who regret their abortions. However, just because she did what she views as a mistake, she can absolutely tell *her* children about it and express *her* concerns to them. But because she feels it was a mistake, that doesn't mean it is a mistake for another woman. It is really not that complicated.

I have empathy for those who regret their abortions. However, just because she did what she views as a mistake, she can absolutely tell *her* children about it and express *her* concerns to them. But because she feels it was a mistake, that doesn't mean it is a mistake for another woman. It is really not that complicated.

I wonder if she only regretted it after she found Jesus? that's what i wanted to ask. but we all do regretful things and should we ban it for everyone because of that?

I regret eating the last piece of chocolate tonight so I think everyone should give up eating it.

What I want to know is how the "Right to Life" rally went down in downtown Portland? Was there a huge turnout? Counterprotesters? I lived there for college, and don't remember these kind of events, but I was a student at one of those shameful, aggressively secular bastions of hippie-ness :o , and was perhaps shielded (or shielded myself?) from the crazy. OP, I know you said you were waiting for your train, but any insights?!

One thing I think pro-lifers would have a hard time admitting is that some women regret their choice of adoption. I would never ban adoption based on that.

One thing I think pro-lifers would have a hard time admitting is that some women regret their choice of adoption. I would never ban adoption based on that.

A lot of people regret the choice to even have children. I think this should make having babies illegal.

I regret eating the last piece of chocolate tonight so I think everyone should give up eating it.

This is rather flippant. And it is this kind of remark that gives the anti-abortion side ammunition for the claim that people on the other side do not take the issue seriously.

Whether you are anti-abortion or pro-abortion, comparing it to eating a piece of chocolate does make it sound like you don't understand that it is a serious decision for those who have to make it.

Does that mean I can eat all the chocolate I want as long as I don't eat the last piece?

This is rather flippant. And it is this kind of remark that gives the anti-abortion side ammunition for the claim that people on the other side do not take the issue seriously.

Whether you are anti-abortion or pro-abortion, comparing it to eating a piece of chocolate does make it sound like you don't understand that it is a serious decision for those who have to make it.

Except she was comparing the ridiculous concept of just because someone regrets something everyone else should.

I actually do not give a flying one. It gets quite irritating when pro-choicers get policed for what they SHOULD say or SHOULD feel "not to give ammunition to the other side".

Terranova was pointing out that whether you regret an abortion or really don't care or feel happy about it, it doesn't make any difference to the act itself or the validity of the choice. If I got pregnant I would abort the pregnancy quick smart and I guarantee you that all I'd feel would be a huge sense of relief. The choice would actually be easier for me than eating the last square of chocolate, because there is no way ever that I should carry a baby to term and attempt to parent it (or negotiate the minefield that is adoption). There are multiple reasons for this, but believe you me, no-one who knows me would EVER say I should be a parent.

Should I not say that because it might offend the delicate feelings of someone opposed to abortion? For some people it is actually a simpler choice than eating the last square of chocolate and would cause far less regret. Maybe I'm not "taking it seriously". :roll:

I do appologise for offending you Louisa. I am not in any way comparing eating chocolate to having an abortion. I was giving an :evil-eye: to people who feel that they have the right to impose their beliefs on abortion on anyone at all.

ETA: Treemon and JFC said it better than I can!

I have sympathy for people who make major life decisions that they regret. I have sympathy for people who grieve a loss that I would not grieve. A portion of that sympathy evaporates when people use this experience as an excuse to be a dick to other people.

Also, has anyone else noticed that "I regret [blank] therefore no one should do [blank]" is a line of reasoning that's mostly used to control women? Regretful inked people aren't lined up like props for everyone to see at anti-tattoo rallies, for instance. "I regret investing in _____" isn't a slogan. It's just women who can't be trusted with major decisions.

I have sympathy for people who make major life decisions that they regret. I have sympathy for people who grieve a loss that I would not grieve. A portion of that sympathy evaporates when people use this experience as an excuse to be a dick to other people.

Also, has anyone else noticed that "I regret [blank] therefore no one should do [blank]" is a line of reasoning that's mostly used to control women? Regretful inked people aren't lined up like props for everyone to see at anti-tattoo rallies, for instance. "I regret investing in _____" isn't a slogan. It's just women who can't be trusted with major decisions.

I don't think that's true, in my experience. Many people who are most strongly anti-drug/alcohol and/ or anti-crime are men who were addicted and/or criminals. They tend to be very harsh in their views, feeling it will prevent other people from making the same mistakes. It isn't an issue that daws big protests, but there really aren't many issues that do.

I don't think that's true, in my experience. Many people who are most strongly anti-drug/alcohol and/ or anti-crime are men who were addicted and/or criminals. They tend to be very harsh in their views, feeling it will prevent other people from making the same mistakes. It isn't an issue that daws big protests, but there really aren't many issues that do.

You've got a point there. You also see men who regret pre-marital sex being shown off by the chastity movement. Maybe it's just easier to get away with bad logic when there's a stigma attached to what you're against. It doesn't help that the logic does apply in certain circumstances, like stealing or using heroin, because those behaviours do overwhelmingly lead to bad consequences.

This is a good point, but Minerva's holds because Women Who Regret Stuff is such a major feature of a lot of "journalism". If you read such a tabloid as the Daily Mail, they often run stories such as "Why I regret going back to work after having my baby" "Why I regret my abortion" "Why I regret not being a good role model for my children" "Why I regret letting my teenage daughters dress in short skirts" "Why I regret taking my cheating husband back" in their pages. I don't see them run stories like "Why I regret taking my first drink" or "my first hit" or "Why I really regret my criminal lifestyle". It's women who do the regretting, or at least the public regretting.

You are right that many men who are ex-addicts or ex-criminals deeply regret that and they try to do many good things, such as getting involved in their communities to cut gang violence by encouraging young men out of crime, or becoming drug and alcohol counsellors. I have met some of these guys doing great stuff. But it's not newsy like making women feel guilty for every decision they make is, which IMO tells us something sad about our society.

Archived