IGNORED

Top 13 Pro-Life Moments of the Year

Rachel333

I think the best part about their attempt at GIF-ing like the kids these days is that Christina Aguilera and Tina Fey are both known to be pro-choice, and I'm just going to take a wild stab in the dark that Rebel Wilson is to. :shifty-kitty:

I think the best part about their attempt at GIF-ing like the kids these days is that Christina Aguilera and Tina Fey are both known to be pro-choice, and I'm just going to take a wild stab in the dark that Rebel Wilson is to. :shifty-kitty:

They also dared to put Dame Maggie Smith in there. No one blasphemes the name of the dame.

Can someone go take this post down in the comments section? I marked it as "fail" on buzzfeed. I hate that they post that bullshit. Also notice how they used smiling happy anti-choicers and made us pro-choicers look like angry biznatches. UGH.

Delurking to say, I am so tired of seeing kermit gosnell in prolife stuff talking about the horror and cruelty of later term abortion.

No. Just no.

I really wish the anti-choice movement (and the media for that matter) would stop referring to Kermit Gosnell as an abortion doctor. He was a sociopathic murderer. He killed living babies. Women who went to him likely felt as though they had no other options and, in my opinion, it speaks more to how poor our health care and social services are. Acting like this is common or routine is wrong and harmful, but these people don't care.

I am disappointed in Buzzfeed for running this. I know its a sponsored post and Buzzfeed is a click bait site, but I really did think they would better than this.

If abortion was illegal, peoples only options would be to either try to do it themselves, go to a shady backstreet doctor like Kermit Gosnell, or give birth and abandon or kill the baby. Not everyone says "I cant abort, so I might as well keep this baby, all I need is someone to provide me with diapers"

If abortion was illegal, peoples only options would be to either try to do it themselves, go to a shady backstreet doctor like Kermit Gosnell, or give birth and abandon or kill the baby. Not everyone says "I cant abort, so I might as well keep this baby, all I need is someone to provide me with diapers"

The anti-choice movement never talks about this. When I was involved in the movement it was always just implied that if abortion was illegal then everyone would magically just want to keep their babies. The more hard-core anti-choice people do not give one shit if women die a botched illegal abortion, but many of the people in the movement just haven't ever thought about it deeply and would be horrified at women dying. The things that will actually lower the abortion rates most conservative, "pro-life" Republicans fight against all while acting like making abortion illegal is the magic pill that will end abortion.

The anti-choice movement never talks about this. When I was involved in the movement it was always just implied that if abortion was illegal then everyone would magically just want to keep their babies. The more hard-core anti-choice people do not give one shit if women die a botched illegal abortion, but many of the people in the movement just haven't ever thought about it deeply and would be horrified at women dying. The things that will actually lower the abortion rates most conservative, "pro-life" Republicans fight against all while acting like making abortion illegal is the magic pill that will end abortion.

Formergothardite, you are absolutely right. I just posted on here that I had a "pro lifer" flat out say that she thought these women deserved to die. When I was more pro life oriented I definitely just never thought about it. Honestly, it really didn't cross my mind because it was all about the "babies."

Or they make adoption look so easy, which is just denying the reality of that too. Most of them just run their mouths and sneakily restrict the law. How about healthcare, support services and pregnancy prevention? Oh wait, I forgot, birth control is murder now according to the die hards. :orly:

I really wish the anti-choice movement (and the media for that matter) would stop referring to Kermit Gosnell as an abortion doctor. He was a sociopathic murderer. He killed living babies. Women who went to him likely felt as though they had no other options and, in my opinion, it speaks more to how poor our health care and social services are. Acting like this is common or routine is wrong and harmful, but these people don't care.

I am disappointed in Buzzfeed for running this. I know its a sponsored post and Buzzfeed is a click bait site, but I really did think they would better than this.

There had been complaints about Gosnell for years, but the state didn't bother to investigate until they had info he was running a pill mill. They can't tolerate a pill mill, oh no!, but they let poor women suffer and die for years without doing a d@mn thing about it.

I've heard forced birthers say that the state didn't interfere earlier b/c they were afraid of feminists, but that didn't have a thing to do with state inaction. They just didn't care what happened to impoverished women desperate enough to go to that butcher.

Someone posted this on my facebook page with "that's why we should not trust the U.S. sites ...". Good, Buzzfeed... (My friend reaction's stupid, but THIS POST.)

Also, I'll boycott it. So sad, but I have had abortions, I feel good about it, and I am proud to live somewhere where abortion is free, anonymous, and accessible to all, I am convinced that it should be everywhere so. A site that mixes fascist ideals and Maggie Smith make me sick.

Buzzfeed is kind of a dumb click-baity site that cares more about page views and social media sharing than anything else (and yet I will still look at the 50 Cutest Rabbit Gifs type of articles every time), but if anything I feel like the official site leans fairly liberal. They do have a large LGBT section. This was posted by National Right to Life (Buzzfeed posts: http://www.buzzfeed.com/nationalrighttolife), not the site itself, though I think it does still have to be approved.

Like I said, though, it's all about the web traffic for them, so I doubt they care where their views are coming from.

Buzzfeed is kind of a dumb click-baity site that cares more about page views and social media sharing than anything else (and yet I will still look at the 50 Cutest Rabbit Gifs type of articles every time), but if anything I feel like the official site leans fairly liberal. They do have a large LGBT section. This was posted by National Right to Life (Buzzfeed posts: http://www.buzzfeed.com/nationalrighttolife), not the site itself, though I think it does still have to be approved.

Like I said, though, it's all about the web traffic for them, so I doubt they care where their views are coming from.

While its true that Buzzfeed feeds on click bait, it is also true that they have a huge foot in the social news market for the millennial generation. Everyone I know in my peer group checks that site with regular frequency, and site statistics support that, as it is one of the top 100 sites visited in America. The listicle format is perfect for study breaks because the posts are short and quick to read and often don't have a lot of text. Yes its stupid, but it has a huge presence on facebook and twitter feeds. Seeing something like this on a site like Buzzfeed makes me worried that it can insidiously creep into the consciousness of people who click onto the site for "The Most Important Cats of 2013". Its actually one of the better marketing strategies that the anti-choice movement has made, but it still makes me upset to see it on a site that reaches so many people of a certain demographic.

Yeah, it is actually a bit of a bigger deal than I thought it was at first. I assumed anyone could just post to the Community section of the site, but users and their potential posts have to be approved first, so it seems that someone from Buzzfeed had to find this acceptable.

Its actually one of the better marketing strategies that the anti-choice movement has made, but it still makes me upset to see it on a site that reaches so many people of a certain demographic.

I take comfort in the fact that, while this is true, they still manage to utterly fail at it, as most anti-choice/conservative social media strategies do. They are trying to emulate a style that they don't understand to reach a demographic that they think so little of that they honestly think half-hearted attempts at being "cool" will win the kids over to their side.

ETA: I just looked at NRTL's Buzzfeed page and their asinine "14 reasons people with Down Syndrome are awesome" and I just need to rage about how much I HATE the fetishization of people who have Down Syndrome by the anti-choice movement. :angry-banghead: It always comes of as infatilizing and patronizing. Grah!

ETA: I just looked at NRTL's Buzzfeed page and their asinine "14 reasons people with Down Syndrome are awesome" and I just need to rage about how much I HATE the fetishization of people who have Down Syndrome by the anti-choice movement. :angry-banghead: It always comes of as infatilizing and patronizing. Grah!

A friend works for a disability day centre & says that this kind of thing is a huge problem. People like people with Down Syndrome because they are seen to be cute, cheerful & able to do 'normal' things, so lots of attention gets focused on them. But it means that people with less socially acceptable disabilities get ignored.

I work with a little boy who has Down syndrome .

For parents, it is a pain because they are old ( the boy is 5 years old , the mother is 48 years old and the father is 61 ... ), they are tired and exhausted because it requires a lot of time. The boy ... We can't say anything to him, he answer "it's not my fault, I'm sick. " " You hit your friend ! " "It's not my fault , I'm sick ! " And he smiled , and everyone is " he's so brave and cute " , so you can't tell him anything . I don't like working with him (and yet , I have a group of child with autism group (me, a psychologist and a therapist for 7 children) , so normally I used to interract with disabilities mental. But they, the director of the music school is never "proud" of the children , because an autistic child is less smiling than a normal child, then it does not deserve attention. I can't support it.) I don't like when you put the child ahead because " he has Down syndrome , it is so adoraaaable " . This is a child like another , I would like one day we stop seeing him as the " cute " , and see that it is sometimes unbearable and manipulative (and very intelligent. ) and sometimes adorables.

A friend works for a disability day centre & says that this kind of thing is a huge problem. People like people with Down Syndrome because they are seen to be cute, cheerful & able to do 'normal' things, so lots of attention gets focused on them. But it means that people with less socially acceptable disabilities get ignored.

That's definitely a huge problem, and then there's the fact that, like everyone else, people with Down Syndrome can be angry or grumpy or even just an asshole. They're people, but these groups treat them like cute mascots for their cause.

Oh god, that makes me rage. I used to regularly babysit a kid who had DS and he was indeed awesome, but not because he happened to have DS. He was awesome because he was a great individual kid who was kind and thoughtful and affectionate. Fetishising people with DS isn't going to make those people feel good about themselves or convince people who would abort a baby with DS to do otherwise. So basically the only reason for that article to exist is so they can pat themselves on the back about what awesome tolerant Christians they are.

Formergothardite, you are absolutely right. I just posted on here that I had a "pro lifer" flat out say that she thought these women deserved to die.

And of course many of them think that women who have successful abortions still deserve to die, or be tortured. This article features responses from one of my "favorite" facebook pages, Life Begins at Conception. The page actually claims to be supportive of post-abortive women, but are way more concerned with increasing their number of "fans" than enforcing any posting rules. Generally they are only supportive of women who had abortions if those women claim to regret their decision and now advocate a prolife stance.

Archived