IGNORED

The reality of "The Good Old Days"

Meeka

I have a picture of myself in an 80s poodle perm. Trust us youngster, the 80s was nothing to get nostalgic about. :P

I was married in 1985. My poodle perm lives on in my wedding album. When I was a kid, we were all obsessed with the 50's. (the happy days era) My mom told me "I don't know why you kids think the 50's were so great, I think the 20's were much more interesting." She never lived in the 20's, and I never lived in the 50's.

I was married in 1985. My poodle perm lives on in my wedding album. When I was a kid, we were all obsessed with the 50's. (the happy days era) My mom told me "I don't know why you kids think the 50's were so great, I think the 20's were much more interesting." She never lived in the 20's, and I never lived in the 50's.

The grass is always greener?

I loved the 1980s. It gave us many original TV, music, and movies that actually made sense. It was also the decade that gave us the personal PC. Some things seem cheesy today but the 80s were riveting. The only bad thing was the Bush and Reagan years. That I could do without.

I loved the 1980s. It gave us many original TV, music, and movies that actually made sense. It was also the decade that gave us the personal PC. Some things seem cheesy today but the 80s were riveting. The only bad thing was the Bush and Reagan years. That I could do without.

I grew up in the 80's (born in 1976). It was the first decade I remember. And yes Reagan and Bush were downers.

Just in case they argue that it was life in the cities that was rough 100 years ago and they plan on pursuing a rural idyll, here are some happy folks from St. Kilda (remotest islands in the UK) circa 1909

4540165606.jpg

The grass is always greener?

Pretty much. When I think of the 50's, I think of poodle skirts and malt shops. What my mom remembers is being a young mother trying to make ends meet. When my mom thinks of the 20's, she thinks of flappers and parties. I'm sure my grandma remembered going to work at a young age, to help out her family.

I feel the same way about the 80's. I found a bunch of made-of-TV movies on YouTube yesterday & as I'm watching them I keep thinking "they don't make these kind of movies anymore."

I was an 80s teen and I agree with everything you said. I didn't have a poodle perm since my hair is naturally curly. I miss the days when having curly hair was considered a good thing and people actually paid for curls instead of flatironing it to death. I loved the new wave music. I even liked a lot of the clothes. The mid 80s were when I first started becoming aware of fashion.

So funny what u talk about the 80's hair. I know someone who still does her hair that way. I actually saw her recently & I knew it was her from the hair.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! :lol: I really like to pretend the 80's never happened!

Yeah, I was gonna say "Well, we had REALLY bad clothes and hairstyles...." :lol:

But in the Olden Days Everybody was Nice and Nobody Screwed Around. That's why, when Grandma came home and told her mother that Grandma and Grandpa had sneaked off to Town Hall and gotten married, my very Italian Catholic Great-Grandma asked, full of genuine concern, "Maggie--are you in trouble?"

Hah! When my great grandfather (the aforementioned "do you have schools in your country" man) was a young man, a stranger came up to him one day and said "you don't know me, but I'm your brother".

Turns out that his father had gotten himself into a bit of a situation, two girls pregnant at the same time. Happily, the other girl already had a new guy who didn't care that she was pregnant, loved her, loved the baby, and was glad to get married. So he married the one who didn't have a new boyfriend.

Maybe things were just dandy in the Old Days for white people who had plenty of money, good health, and functional, intact families. The trouble is, I don't think that describes most people...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! :lol: I really like to pretend the 80's never happened!

Ahh... the Poodle Perm!! (I do not miss those days!)

When my sister (10 years younger) started dressing like the "80's" (or how they portray the 80's now) I just shuddered... Man, the 80's weren't even cool when they were happening the first time around!

Archived