IGNORED

Recommend me a fake Christmas Tree?

keen23

Where's a good place to get a good looking, reasonably priced fake Christmas tree? Pre-lit, 7-8 feet tall. I have a budget of $200.

This I know. But last year the clearance sales were wiped out.

Yes though I saw a ton of them last year it was crazy. one store had them 50% a couple days before Christmas and 75% after. I doubt there are really brands of the trees. so you can't pick quality really unless maybe you go to a higher end store.

Where do you live? I looked into ordering one off Amazon last year but they wouldn't ship to Canada. There were certainly a number of reasonably priced options though.

I ended up getting a 3' one for 25 dollars at Michaels crafts of all places, because they happened to be having a 50% off sale that weekend (in November). They had taller trees on sale too, all pre-lit.Maybe you have somewhere similar to check?

I'm in the US. There's a Big Lots right down the road. I'll check that out. Someone IRL suggested Home Depot- which is also local for me. I'm just really tired of the ugly, falling apart one that we've had for years. Petty and a real First World Problem, I know.

If you intend to keep it more than a few years, don't buy a pre-lit tree. My husband bought one six years ago (before we were married). By the fourth year, hardly any of the lights worked and replacing the bulbs as the instructions said made no difference. We ended up removing all the lights and buying different lights. It took hours and wire cutters to get the damn things off.

Target has some decent ones. BF and I are getting a pretty full-looking 4 foot for ~$60 and they had larger versions of that tree. (Target is our only option since we're sans car ATM)

If you intend to keep it more than a few years, don't buy a pre-lit tree. My husband bought one six years ago (before we were married). By the fourth year, hardly any of the lights worked and replacing the bulbs as the instructions said made no difference. We ended up removing all the lights and buying different lights. It took hours and wire cutters to get the damn things off.

That's what the headship and I wound up doing. We still have our pre-lit tree, but we stripped it bare with wire cutters after all the lights went out. Overall, I think it's better to just get a tree that isn't pre-lit and string a separate strand of lights or two because they will eventually burn out.

In my area, Big Lots, Wal-Mart and Sam's have the best prices on the trees, but if you are lucky enough to have K-Mart, I'd try there. They have really good holiday stuff for some of the best prices.

It's so odd to me to hear about folks having issues with their pre-lit trees. I love ours and they have just seemed to keep going and going. *knock wood* For us they really spared us the 'Christmas Cursing' as my dad, the perfectionist engineer, wrestled with getting them on just exactly right. We've got a 7 footer (from K-mart) and a 4 footer in a planter (from Target), both pre-lit, and we love 'em.

The only tricky thing was finding a topper for the little tree, but ultimately I wired two gold beaded star-shaped ornaments together, leaving a gap at the bottom and it works just fine. I just slide the top of the tree into the gap at the bottom. And since the topper is an openwork design, the lights at the top of the tree even shine through it and make it glow.

Archived