IGNORED

CollegeMinus - Scholarship

memmy

CollegeMinus doesn't have majors and doesn't grant degrees. It's just a guided study program that helps people pass CLEP tests. They encourage their students to apply at the regionally accredited Thomas Edison State College because TESC is probably the most accepting of CLEP credits, transfers, and other non-traditional forms of education. Even TESC would require you to do something more than CLEP tests, though, so you still end up doing more work beyond what CollegeMinus provides.

In theory, you could take your CM credits to any school and finish your degree there, but most legit schools limit the number of CLEP credits you can use toward your degree or graduation requirements. I can't imagine CM would actually be a more affordable option than community college or, you know, just taking the CLEP tests on your own. Using CM is basically the equivalent of trying to earn a degree by taking courses from the Maxwells :?

Ok, thanks. Don't the Duggers try to make it sound like they're actually doing college online, though? (I don't watch the show, so get most of my info on here.) So basically they're paying to be helped through some tests that give them some college credits that they'll probably never transfer, eh? (I'm Canadian and can turn everything into a question.) Like if I say "I'm well-read and have watched a few Yale courses online -- without writing essays and reading 12 assigned tomes -- college couldn't teach me anything."

I'm not sure where some of you got the idea that CollegePlus is a real college that grants degrees.

From the website:

"While CollegePlus guides you through your studies, your degree will be granted by a regionally accredited institution. All our students graduate from regionally accredited colleges and universities, as they award the most recognized degrees in America."

http://www.collegeplus.org/howitworks

While this is true, pretty much all of their advertising is geared to making it seem like you can get your degree from them. I mean, look at what was posted here: asking what you want to be and them saying they will help you get there implies that after you finish with them you are ready for a career.

And certainly the Duggars talk about them doing CM like they will wind up with a degree once they are finished. They say the kids are taking college courses online, but that's not what this is.

It's highly misleading, even if they put somewhere on there website that you won't get a degree.

I've never figured out, for the Duggars anyway, the purpose of doing CM. They aren't headed to university, so why bother to essentially CLEP out of classes?

(I know, I know, I am trying to insert logic into the situation....)

I think we can tie that to 1) they were paid to shill for the program, 2) another see we really do educate our children to the naysayers, and 3) they had free access so shut up any kids who wanted more education by saying here do this "college" work.

CollegeMinus doesn't have majors and doesn't grant degrees. It's just a guided study program that helps people pass CLEP tests. They encourage their students to apply at the regionally accredited Thomas Edison State College because TESC is probably the most accepting of CLEP credits, transfers, and other non-traditional forms of education. Even TESC would require you to do something more than CLEP tests, though, so you still end up doing more work beyond what CollegeMinus provides.

In theory, you could take your CM credits to any school and finish your degree there, but most legit schools limit the number of CLEP credits you can use toward your degree or graduation requirements. I can't imagine CM would actually be a more affordable option than community college or, you know, just taking the CLEP tests on your own. Using CM is basically the equivalent of trying to earn a degree by taking courses from the Maxwells :?

Even at TESC you need to have a high school diploma or GED, except in some very rare cases, and you can use only 60 CLEP credits max. You still need to have a major, pass upper-level tests (or transfer credits), and take at least one course through the school. So even with those very lax rules, I can't see any Duggar getting a degree even if they could pass the lower-level tests, which I highly doubt.

Archived