IGNORED

More dumb things Fundies say...

divadivine

I know there was a thread somewhere with words/phrases Fundies say. I don't have the patience to find it now. I was reading the Morton blog when I spied this gem

"P.S. I have just breakfasted on a piece of hot toast and a cup of steaming orange spice tea. I feel incredible English this morning. (Happy hellos to everyone across the pond this morning! Love!)"

Who the fuck says "breakfasted"? Seriously? Dined. Yes. Ate. Yes. Feasted. Yes. Breakfasted. Hell to the NO! Addie I hope you read here because I want to tell you this: YOU'RE A DUMBASS! Go to a real school and learn proper English. Jesus will be with you and protect you from the worldly nonbelievers. I hope Jesus will give you a swift kick in the ass first because you're a stupid MOFO.

Sorry, had to get that one off my chest.

To see the literary master at work, check out the link:

mortonclanthree.blogspot.com/2013/09/photography-session-91713-weslea-and-co.html

Um...yeah. It's completely correct, although not common in the US. I'm American, and I sometimes use 'breakfasted.' And I'm NOT fundie in any way, shape, or form. I'm just an Anglophile who reads a lot of British novels and magazines. :lol:

This reminds me of the time an American jumped all over me for using 'spelt' as the past tense of 'spell'. Whoops. It's always good to google before you assume something's wrong. It might have saved you a lot of rage. ;)

I think that was the grammar police equivalent of not snopesing a forwarded email before posting it.

If "snopesing" isn't a real word, it should be.

It is proper English, but the usage of the word by a teenager from Georgia on a family blog is an annoying affectation. I think it's a result of reading Jane Austin in a vacuum and getting all of your history lessons from Vision Forum.

It is proper English, but the usage of the word by a teenager from Georgia on a family blog is an annoying affectation. I think it's a result of reading Jane Austin in a vacuum and getting all of your history lessons from Vision Forum.

I agree with you 100%

If it means a kid is reading and expanding their vocabulary I'm all for it, and just from the original quote it sounds like she knows it is in more common usage in England.

I just saw some depressing statistic on the news about the minuscule percentage of adults who continue to read books for pleasure after they graduate. I don't remember where it was, but it was something like 20% of people continue to read after they graduate college.

Well, if she wanted to go real oldschool, she could even say " I broke my fast on eggs and toast." I'm surprised not more of the VFs at least do, what with it's quasi-religious connotations. I fast for Jesus every night! Woo!

If it means a kid is reading and expanding their vocabulary I'm all for it, and just from the original quote it sounds like she knows it is in more common usage in England.

I just saw some depressing statistic on the news about the minuscule percentage of adults who continue to read books for pleasure after they graduate. I don't remember where it was, but it was something like 20% of people continue to read after they graduate college.

This.

There's a LOT about fundies to snark on, but using a word found in Jane Austen (or whereever it was she found it) that we don't use much here in the US isn't something I'd personally want to snark on. I'd just be glad she's reading something besides The Moodys Clean The Ceiling Fan Blades.

Archived