IGNORED

International House of Prayer comes to my area

meda

I am completely horrified that this cult has planted in my neck of the woods. Granted, this is pretty conservative part of NY, bit it's still a college town in the godless Northeast.

/www.plattsburghhop.com

I wouldn't be surprised if IHOP expands to more areas. There are local Christian affiliates in various cities that air the prayer room activities. I still remember that thread from last year about a KC murder investigation linked to IHOP. I did some additional reading and found out about the cult rumors. Former IHoppers have blogged about their experiences which mention constant security guards and I recall something about employees being paid low.

One of my sisters lives near a large church building that was sold to an IHOP chapter.

So far the only trouble has been that the IHOP also bought an outdated firehouse where it planned/plans to house its "preaching students." Neighbors - in an established, middle-class subdiv - have asked who exactly is going to be there and what kind of control the church exerts over the tenants. Not sure what's transpired, since.

Given the number of oddballs who've been involved with offshoot religious organizations as disciples and acolytes, I can understand their trepidation. I'll have to see what's been going on there since the firehouse purchase.

Sister says the street sign adverts the prayer room, and that she rarely notices anywhere near to a full parking lot on Sundays. Can't recall any further info, as she doesn't pass by that often.

I went on a trip with a bunch of fundies (didn't know they were) who went to Florida for an IHOP convention. They said that Satan was inside of me and locked me out of the room while I visited my aunt in Tampa. They thought I was a drag queen because I wear makeup and I went to a drag show. I ended up staying with my aunt for an extra two days and then went back to NY.

I posted about my experience here. It really was cray. I will forever judge IHOP.

I went on a trip with a bunch of fundies (didn't know they were) who went to Florida for an IHOP convention. They said that Satan was inside of me and locked me out of the room while I visited my aunt in Tampa. They thought I was a drag queen because I wear makeup and I went to a drag show. I ended up staying with my aunt for an extra two days and then went back to NY.

I posted about my experience here. It really was cray. I will forever judge IHOP.

I remember you telling that story. I'm so sorry that happened to you.

My fundie-lite high school boyfriend took me to IHop after prom. A REAL IHop, that smelled of melted butter with 5 syrups on the table, none of this second-string religious stuff. I was wearing a Jessica McClintock "prairie style" prom dress. I really added a touch of class to the place.

I like that IHOP. Crazy, culty IHOP, no.

If it weren't for my aunt, I have noooo idea what would have happened. And because the main girl's dad owned the timeshare, she could do whatever she wanted with the room. What really pisses me off is that everyone was crying about me leaving. Um if you really cared that much, the keys wouldn't have been changed. Oh well.

I wouldn't be surprised if IHOP expands to more areas. There are local Christian affiliates in various cities that air the prayer room activities. I still remember that thread from last year about a KC murder investigation linked to IHOP. I did some additional reading and found out about the cult rumors. Former IHoppers have blogged about their experiences which mention constant security guards and I recall something about employees being paid low.

I have heard/read that some of the interns/low level staffers/"Students" pay to work there.... will see what I can find.

standupforthetruth.com/2012/04/is-ihop-a-cult-one-interns-story/

Each intern paid $4,500 to attend a 6 month internship. This covered some books/teaching material we were given as well as food, lodging etc. Check this out though: Every intern lived in the Hernhutt apartments (located next door) which IHOP owned anyway so the only expense was utilities and general upkeep. There was no rent. Plus when there was a mandatory fasting day, weekend, week, etc. no meals were served. So those who didn’t choose to fast had to go out and buy food and no interns were not allowed to have jobs so this got to be a big expense since there wasn’t extra money to live on.

I lived in a 2-bedroom apartment. It housed 6 girls from the ages of 20-23. 4 of us shared one room and 2 shared another. The prayer room costs nothing to attend and is free and open to the public. So hmmm….$4,500 for meals, my electric bill and some IHOP books. I currently live in my own apartment, pay all of my own bills including rent, food, gasoline, renter’s insurance, credit card bills, student loans, electric, cell phone, etc etc and ALL of that costs me approximately $1,500 a month. So basic math says that someone was getting a big paycheck because my expenses would have never cost that in an internship program where we were given so little.

You too could be an intern. ihopkc.org/ihopu/internships/internships-at-a-glance/

Archived