IGNORED

Quiverful Brits Documentary

Deleted04

http://documentaryheavendotcom/deborah- ... nt-of-god/ (The ending is WEIRD)

A documentary about 13-year-old Deborah Drapper, who, unlike other British teens has never heard of Britney Spears or Victoria Beckham. She has been brought up in a deeply Christian family and her parents have tried to make sure she and her ten brothers and sisters have grown up protected from the sins of the outside world.

Deborah is a bright, confident girl who has big ambitions for her life and the film spends a summer with her as she ventures out in the world to see what life outside her family could be and starts putting her beliefs forward to a wider audience.

Here are some more fundie related docs

http://documentaryheavendotcom/the-virgin-daughters/

http://documentaryheavendotcom/louis-th ... istianity/

http://documentaryheavendotcom/the-tria ... d-haggard/

http://documentaryheaven.dotcom/the-fundamentalists/

http://documentaryheavendotcom/friends-of-god/

http://documentaryheavendotcom/america% ... in-crisis/

http://documentaryheavendotcom/why-i-am ... christian/

Thanks for the links. I've watched them all except The Fundementalists and Friends of God.

And I think the one about Deborah was posted on the old boards. It was a good documentary. For all their fundie-ism, at least they encourage their kids to go to college. I feel for her older brother though. He pings my gaydar lol

The Louis Theroux ones are excellent as well. How he could keep cool around the WBC is beyond me.

I've seen the Deborah one but not some of the others so thanks :). Friends of God is good. It's about Haggard's megachurch, before the scandal was broken. It gives insight into how they promote their agenda. I say agenda because there's a scene where he is having a meeting with some staffers and he specifically tells them to use language that is more palatable to mainstream people in order convert them. He knows how to sell to media that's for sure. He's not stupid.

I've seen the Louis ones at the WBC but not the one linked here so I'm gonna check it out. How he managed to be so nice to them, I'll never know.

Also, I don't think we need to break links to streaming sites just fundie ones.

I've seen the Louis ones at the WBC but not the one linked here so I'm gonna check it out. How he managed to be so nice to them, I'll never know.
Louis Theroux has experience with hate groups, though - I didn't realise until a family friend asked me "Have you seen Louis Theroux's documentary?", I said "Yes", and he start talking about Nazis. He had a series about small weird groups: Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends and other documentaries, obviously - the one my friend was referring to is Louis and the Nazis

I just started watching the documentary but one thing that stands out already is that the young lady didn't want to hold hands with her fiance' because it might 'distract' them. Really? Anyone who gets so turned on just from holding hands that they can't get to know another person has some serious issues. That is one of my problems with the purity movement. It makes the participants sound like sex craved individuals that should be locked away for their own good.

I just started watching the documentary but one thing that stands out already is that the young lady didn't want to hold hands with her fiance' because it might 'distract' them. Really? Anyone who gets so turned on just from holding hands that they can't get to know another person has some serious issues. That is one of my problems with the purity movement. It makes the participants sound like sex craved individuals that should be locked away for their own good.

If people were as unable to control themselves as the fundies make them out to be, there would be orgies in the streets.

My first kiss was special because it was my first but it was also awkward and we clicked teeth together when we tried to open our mouths. It was not romantic in any way.

The first time I kissed my husband, my knees melted but both of us had experience with kissing other people. I can't imagine the first ever kiss of two adults conducted in front of a group of people would be wonderful. Having an audience share the experience feels icky.

Hey, I think that Deborah's older brother has left the household, somewhat. He still attends church, but take a look at his "interests" on his FB profile, for one thing. Also, while he is FB friends with one brother, he's not FB friends with either Deborah or their father Andrew.

en-gb.facebook.com/mattdrapp

Ehh, I take it back. Scrolling further down, he definitely still spends time with the fam. But I am pretty sure that his love for Gaga and Glee is a good sign, if you know what I mean.

A lot of teenagers come across as very self-assured, and Deborah probably hasn't had much experience at being in situations that AREN'T with people who agree with her on everything (the "Duh this was created!" comments are bonding with someone you know agrees with you, but aggressive and annoying with someone you don't know), but mostly she just seemed a really unpleasant, sanctimonious person. I think it WOULD change with time but uh, I wouldn't want to spend time around someone like that.

I loved that the brother was willing to dance to all the other songs, that were probably partially about sex, bodies, maybe violence, but the one with homosexuality and they have to go sit in the corner with lemon-face on.

Sorry to post so much on this one thread, but as I watch the seperate documentaries I keep finding more things that interest me.

Although not knowing who Britney Spears might not seem terrible, I think that pop cultural references help people from the same generation connect. For instance, my daughters have always hated Hannah Montana but they know who she is. The same is true of Britney Spears and Lady Gaga. They might not know who Victoria Beckham is because she hasn't really done anything lately except marry someone rich.

Also, I notice that Deborah goes into the Ray Comfort spiel on 'Have you ever lied, stolen etc." I would never allow my daughters to talk to an adult the way that she did the reporter. Calling the reporter a lying, covetous whatever else is rude. It isn't self assuredness.

I don't know if it's being self assured so much as it is holding the belief that your worldview (or rather the one given to you by your parents) is 100% correct and true in every way. I expect that could lead a person to presume they have the right to talk down to someone and insult them regardless of social mores. I actually felt bad for the girl, near the end (I think) when she was crying about all the lost who will go to hell. She genuinely seemed to believe it was her charge as an individual to save others. That's an awful lot to put on someone barely out of girlhood. But the fact that she was upset suggests she does have compassion for people. That's hopeful. Maybe she will be able to use that compassion to real good one day rather than just evangelize.

I don't know if it's being self assured so much as it is holding the belief that your worldview (or rather the one given to you by your parents) is 100% correct and true in every way. I expect that could lead a person to presume they have the right to talk down to someone and insult them regardless of social mores. I actually felt bad for the girl, near the end (I think) when she was crying about all the lost who will go to hell. She genuinely seemed to believe it was her charge as an individual to save others. That's an awful lot to put on someone barely out of girlhood. But the fact that she was upset suggests she does have compassion for people. That's hopeful. Maybe she will be able to use that compassion to real good one day rather than just evangelize.

I don't blame her. It's her parents that have forgotten to teach her that manners and kindess are a far better way to win someone to her way of thinking than hammering them with words.

The concept of hell frightens a lot of people, not just for themselves but for other people. Imagine if you really believed that an individual was going to be tortured forever if they didn't join your faith. That is a pretty heavy burden for anyone.

On a positive note, her parents aren't trying to keep her from going to college

And I thought the UK was more secular and non-religious, barely anyone in the UK has a religious belief or goes to church. So how did this poor Deborah get sucked into the fundy world?

Thanks for the links. I have been watching more documentaries and shows on extremist behavior. I kind of prefer the ones that are sympathetic to fundamentalism because it's amusing that they seem extreme even with all the editing and careful selection of words.

I think most people believe that their world view is correct. I don't really think mine is completely so (there is ample room for mistake in my brain), but I have a 'questioning' personality type. And there are some world views that I consider w.r.o.n.g. in every way so obviously I have some strong opinions on the matter.

And I thought the UK was more secular and non-religious, barely anyone in the UK has a religious belief or goes to church. So how did this poor Deborah get sucked into the fundy world?

She is only 13 in the documentary. Not everything about her is extreme fundie. She wears pants, for instance and the kids go to college. Also, her family do seem to love one another very much.

Because I like little kids, I would probably enjoy talking to her mom. I've always wanted a big family but that isn't the way life turned out. The need to evangelize and hide little kids from the world would annoy me.

She is only 13 in the documentary. Not everything about her is extreme fundie. She wears pants, for instance and the kids go to college. Also, her family do seem to love one another very much.

Because I have a maternal personality, I would probably enjoy talking to her mom. I've always wanted a big family but that isn't the way life turned out. The need to evangelize and hide little kids from the world would annoy me.

True, but they don't seem to grasp reality, they still have that black-and-white worldview, and the brother seemed to be scared of girls.

True, but they don't seem to grasp reality, they still have that black-and-white worldview, and the brother seemed to be scared of girls.

I agree. That is part of what makes the documentary sad.

Ehh, I take it back. Scrolling further down, he definitely still spends time with the fam. But I am pretty sure that his love for Gaga and Glee is a good sign, if you know what I mean.

I bet after allowing him to go to Uni, none of his other brothers and sisters will be able to escape. ;)

I can only watching bits and pieces as I go about my day. I just got to the part where she said, "you are supposed to belong to your father until you get married." What?

A commentor on the site wrote this and I agree.

I feel quite sad for her, she seems very preoccupied with these big, heavy ideas at such a young age. I can understand her parents and brother are proud of her for having such conviction in her beliefs, but if I was her mother I'd want her to relax and bit more and enjoy things a bit more suited to girls her age. People rightly complain about the oversexualisation of children, and that they are growing up too fast, but I think the same goes for this girl. She isn't enjoying being a kid because she has these very heavy thoughts in her mind all the time.

I think that teaching her that all humans are worthless and doomed to hell is far worse than her sneaking a kiss from a boy her age..

I bet after allowing him to go to Uni, none of his other brothers and sisters will be able to escape. ;)

Word. It looks like he is trying to carve out a path where he can live a fairly mainstream life, be truer to himself, and still hold to some Christian beliefs, and I have to give him credit for that. (Also, as I went farther back, it looks like when he graduated uni this spring he moved back in with the fam for a short time and hated it. He seems very happy to be back working in the same town where he went to school!)

But I also think it's way easier for guys to escape than it is for girls. Especially guys who aren't conforming to the rigid gender expectations. In those cases it isn't so much even an escape as it is being practically pushed out the door. :(

I don't think they'd be that much more unlikely to let their daughters leave and make their own decisions. We don't know much about the older sister, but they don't seem to follow the courtship route, they have genuine affectionate relationships with their kids, and they trust their children to make their own decisions. Deborah spoke of going to university herself, so it's not as if that option has been closed off by her parents (or as if she has decided not to go that route herself).

Archived