IGNORED

Bugs/worms in berries?

Lainey

I'm really not sure where to post this anymore...it's related to food, but not really related to a hobby, so I decided to put it here.

This past weekend, my husband and I went berry picking for saskatoons. We got two buckets (one each), and they're gorgeous and tasty. Unfortunately, suddenly I've been seeing and hearing all these anecdotes about worms inside saskatoon (and other) berries, and now I'm all paranoid. I think there may have been one in one of the berries I looked at. I can't really tell.

Does anyone know how pervasive this is? And what are they? I am so sad about those beautiful berries being ruined. :( I think I would have preferred to remain blissfully ignorant.

We don't have saskatoons in our area, but it has been recommended to me for other types of berries that you lay all your berries out on a sheet pan/cookie sheet overnight to give the bugs time to leave the fruit before using. I'm not really sure if it works (and I don't really like the idea of having all the creepy-crawlies in my kitchen) but it might be worth a try.

We don't have saskatoons in our area, but it has been recommended to me for other types of berries that you lay all your berries out on a sheet pan/cookie sheet overnight to give the bugs time to leave the fruit before using. I'm not really sure if it works (and I don't really like the idea of having all the creepy-crawlies in my kitchen) but it might be worth a try.

What about the worms inside the berries? I don't want the creepy-crawlies in my kitchen, either. :?

I am so sad. I can't bring myself to eat them now. :(

I did read that soaking them in salt water draws the bugs/worms out, but I already soaked one bucket worth in vinegar water, which just killed whatever was in there. It didn't draw anything out as far as I can tell.

Archived