IGNORED

Exchange students killed in place crash?

hahe77

Seen this on facebook... "Turns out the girls who were killed in the Asiana wreck were supposed to be staying with host families near us to learn the language and culture through a very patriarchal "christian" church."

The poster went on to say "They'd still be alive if a handful of religious assholes weren't trying to take over the world."

Anyone know if there is truth to the above statement?

Seen this on facebook... "Turns out the girls who were killed in the Asiana wreck were supposed to be staying with host families near us to learn the language and culture through a very patriarchal "christian" church."

The poster went on to say "They'd still be alive if a handful of religious assholes weren't trying to take over the world."

I don't know anything about this, except that CNN said that 2 Chinese women were killed.

However: This statement seems to be an inappropriate stretch. A plane crash is a plane crash, terribly tragic, highly unfortunate, but nevertheless an ACCIDENT. And the NTSB I am sure is investigating the actual cause(s). Very early reports sound like pilot inexperience might be part of it. Better to let NTSB find the actual causes than to blame "religion" in this case. Really.

I don't know anything about this, except that CNN said that 2 Chinese women were killed.

However: This statement seems to be an inappropriate stretch. A plane crash is a plane crash, terribly tragic, highly unfortunate, but nevertheless an ACCIDENT. And the NTSB I am sure is investigating the actual cause(s). Very early reports sound like pilot inexperience might be part of it. Better to let NTSB find the actual causes than to blame "religion" in this case. Really.

ITA - it's a total stretch.

I don't think my facebook friend (nor I) are blaming or believe the crash to be caused by the patriarchal host parents.

I read the name of the school they were going to a summer camp at on CNN last night. It was in the Los Angeles area. I don't have time to find it again, but I am sure you could if you are interested and do some digging.

Here you go, westvalleychristianschool.com/index.php

I saw it while reading the news before I go to work

So if they were coming to volunteer for, I don't know, a liberal civil rights organization, then who would be responsible for their deaths? It's not like this was a junkyard plane chartered by a fundie group to save money and piloted by a 16-year-old with a licence from SOTDRT.

I just read this morning that the pilot was in training. What does that have to do with religious assholes (other than whoever posted this bile on FB)?

People assumed early on that it was terrorist-related simply because it was a plane crash. They probably thought that too, before the info was released about the training pilot.

I think what it meant was: if the girls weren't coming to learn English at a patriarchal church, they would not have been on the plane that crashed.

Place crash?

Simple typo. I didn't even notice it, my brain read it as plane.

That's a bit much, in my opinion.

WTF? They died because of a plane crash, period. Their religious activities did not cause the crash. People fly on planes every day, for tons of different reasons. Flying on a commercial airline is a low-risk activity that reasonable people do. What if, God forbid, the plane had crashed when we flew to visit my parents last spring. Would my inlaws have said, "they'd still be alive if it wasn't for HER parents"? [i sincerely hope the answer would be NO!] Unless you are opposed to flying and driving in general, there is no reasonable connection between the religious activity and the deaths.

As far as your Facebook friend is concerned, exploiting a tragedy like that to make a religious/political statement is disgusting.

I think what it meant was: if the girls weren't coming to learn English at a patriarchal church, they would not have been on the plane that crashed.

Yeah, exactly. And it's a ridiculous statement. It's basically the equivalent of saying that if the kids at Sandy Hook had been homeschooled they wouldn't be dead.

It is absurd to place any kind of blame on religion, etc. It was an inexperienced pilot that approached the runway too short. That is all.

I've been on that exact Asiana flight from Seoul (flight 214) and many others from Seoul to san fran (I used to have a lot of project work in Korea). The approach to the runway is a bit scary.

The night before the plane crash, I was at a vespers service where the speaker suggested that God only spares the planes because of even one righteous person on them. He suggested that if righteous people didn't fly so much, there would be more plane crashes.

When this news broke, at least one of my friends remembered him saying that.

I thought it was offensive then, but I find it worse now. First off, Out of 300 some people, I have a hard time believing there were no Christians. Second off, fuck him, fuck him, fuck him.

Archived