IGNORED

Louie Gohmert: ‘Mankind has existed’ fine without sex ed

merrily

always been sex ed: hearing and waking to see your parents having sex because you lived in a one or two room cottage. watching farm animals, fertility rituals or simply marrying at 12 or 13 is education plenty.

the idea that young people were innocent of sex and sexuality is utter nonsense.it was simply a part of life.

Part of sex education is teaching about inappropriate touching. Is Gohmert opposed to that, too?

Mankind also existed fine without penicillin, so should we do away with that?

and chemotherapy. Morphine. Ibuprofen. Caffeine. Literacy.

Hahaha, I read: "without sex", so I was really curious to find out how they would argue that one ;-)

Me too. No sex? A dream world for some fundies, a nightmare for others (Jim Bob).

Children belong to parents versus children belong to the state? How about children are not property!!! I do not own my kids but I do have the privilege of raising them and a responsibility for them.

and chemotherapy. Morphine. Ibuprofen. Caffeine. Literacy.

Christianity...

Me too. No sex? A dream world for some fundies, a nightmare for others (Jim Bob).

Children belong to parents versus children belong to the state? How about children are not property!!! I do not own my kids but I do have the privilege of raising them and a responsibility for them.

If someone can create a way to create babies without sex, it will be Steve Maxwell. I imagine they do it in the dark almost fully clothed.

If someone can create a way to create babies without sex, it will be Steve Maxwell. I imagine they do it in the dark almost fully clothed.

Lights off, door locked, socks on. No talking before or after.

“You don’t have to force this sexuality stuff into their life at such a point,†Gohmert said on the conservative radio program WallBuilders Live.

Translation: I think It is icky and talking about It is ickier, so nobody should talk about It at all. The end.

The Maxwells probably had a kitchen turkey baster & a bathroom cabinet turkey baster. :lol: :ew:

Define "fine", please.

Why teach anything about any type of health? I assume the goal is to teach kids how the human body works, how to stay healthy and how to prevent disease. Well, that's what decent sex ed should be teaching.

So, how are things going in his state of Texas? Are they "fine"? Well, Texas has the 3rd highest teen pregnancy rate of the states. 85 teen per 1,000 will get pregnant. [http] How does this compare to places that offer more comprehensive sex ed, such as the Netherlands? Well, their teen pregnancy rate is 5 per 1,000. [http]. In other words, the teen pregnancy rate in Texas is 17 times higher! Objectively speaking, that's a fail.

The average kid does not live in a bubble. They are getting an education about sex - they are observing parents, seeing whatever they find online, watching TV, reading magazines, talking to friends, etc. It's only in the most insular communities that there is any possibility that kids know nothing. The problem is that horny teens getting sexual messages often don't get the factual information that they need to stay safe and healthy.

“It reminds me so much of the summer that I was an exchange student in the Soviet Union back in the ’70s and I was shocked when they were saying, ‘No, the children don’t belong to parents, they belong to the state’…and I just thought how horribly shocking that was, that of course parents were the ones who love the children, not the state. And I thought thank God that we don’t have that in our country.â€

I think it may be time to revisit the concept of ownership of children, by either the state or the parent. I somehow always thought I owned myself, that my parents, by virtue of giving birth to me (though adoption would do the same thing) were acting as my caregivers and nurtures, not as my owners. And while parents may love their children, the state in the form of society said children live in and become adults in has its own interest in children being educated and sharing the " baseline morals of the society at large (ie, not killing, stealing, raping or damaging other people or their lives) Without this baseline, societies don't work. So, while in the best case scenario, parents love their children, it is important that if they are not loved or nurtured, society does in fact offer a baseline of education and sheltering. And either way, while I am a member of a family and a member of society, I don't belong to either. I belong to myself.

Louie Gohmert might consider the idea that individuals belong to themselves. (although, it is my understanding that many politicians are bought and paid for, so the concept may be alien to him.)

Archived