IGNORED

Christian Disaster Relief Efforts

rward

So, Joe Klein from Time claimed that no atheists helped victims in OK of tornadoes. The Friendly Atheist proves otherwise. (not breaking link, he'd like us.) http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... tornadoes/

Then this happens in the comments, from an atheist who went to help the Oklahoma tornado victims:

I debated on sharing this. Because, I don't mean any disrespect to anyone who took their time to go to OK. But, our experience was quite a bit different than that of the author of the Time's article.

Truth be told, a lot of people who were there, were there to say they were. Or, so it seemed. It was rather frustrating. My husband and I linked up with a church group down there (Because, that was 96% of groups down there, on the ground.) But, just because they WERE there, doesn't mean too much. (FYI, we had many "walk ins" who linked with the group, as well. And, we were asked to wear their t-shirts proclaiming we were with their church. Even though, we were not. And, we met several others in other church affiliated groups who were doing the same.)

It was disappointing, and we are hoping it was just because it was so soon after, that things had not yet found their "niche" and that groups were still trying to organize effectively. But, the truth is, a lot of these groups spent more time serving the members of their group that came in, than they did people in the communities. My husband and I would go out to the city, and clean up all day long. Come back filthy, disgusting, tired...and the same people who were there in the am when we left, in the parking lots, and set up tents, were STILL there, sitting at the food trailer, eating the foods, and sitting around talking. HUNDREDS, not just 10-12 holding down the fort while others gone. There is no need for hundreds of people to congregate at the tent, and food trailer, all day.

We went out with a team the first day we were there. All we did was walk around and stop people, who were picking up the pieces of their lives, to take 30 minutes out of their day, to pray. To me, that's not an appropriate time. The person praying would give a plug about their church, encourage the person to attend their church now, and give them a business card. Then, we'd discuss why that person's church hadn't come around, wasn't helping them, after we left. What?! Who cares where there church was? Maybe their church was destroyed. (These other church groups were "imported", so to say.) In any case, it truly felt like there was competition...to prove which church was "better" than another. Instead of, "how can we help"...it was, "Let me tell you about our church." (In our experience.)

The second day, we took a group out to the city again, to find a place to clean up. We drove in. Half the team stood around, while about 4 of us worked. Then that half of the team left us there. Without warning, about an hour or so after arriving. My stuff is still in their truck. The other half of the team left my husband and I after another hour or two...and we were there until dark finishing the yard we started. Then we had to WALK back to the set up, where our car was, to call it night because they just left us there.

The next day, we took our own team. A team of walk ups, people who were just looking to volunteer with someone, found the church we were volunteering with. After an hour of church service in the parking lot (Yes, you read that right. A church service talking about how we were the only church there for the long haul. Because, they had just planted a church in the area, and they wanted people to know they were there forever, not just for cleanup.) we were split into groups. We got an AWESOME group. All were Christians, but not affiliated with that particular church. We got ALOT done that day. Busted our hiney's all day long. Came back to the same hundred people at the end of the day, still sitting around, in their clean clothes, not sweaty or dirty, congregated around the food truck and

supply tents.

We had some people show up every day...and not even lift a finger. We had to move our tents from one side of the parking lot, to the other...and a group of people looking to volunteer stopped to help. Got a caravan of their trucks, loaded, drove to the new spot, unloaded, and did it again. They were referred to as "The random black people who asked if they could help." Many of the members of the group sat and watched. Were sunbathing. Literally.

Even the guard was useless down there. On every street corner was 10-15 guard members sitting around, acting like there wasn't 1000 things they could be doing. There was not organization. And, to be honest with you, Team Rubicon was one of the few groups you saw EVERYWHERE...bustin' ass day in, and day out. They weren't

taking breaks every 2 minutes, or standing around. They were in it. It was

actually the first time we had heard of them, and we plan on registering with them for future disaster relief efforts.

We couldn't even get a med kit for a person who was hurt...the guard and air force didn't know where to get one. What?! There were two guys who came to the group every day, dressed in their camis (Not with the OK guard, with another state guard, that was part of the group we joined)...never saw them lift a finger. Those sunbathers I

talked about? We'd leave and they'd be lying on the table...we'd come back and they'd be lying on the table. Eating, listening to their ipods, texting.

My point is, just because you are Christian, doesn't mean you were there helping. And, just because you are Atheist, doesn't mean you weren't.

And, I'd like to believe that the only motivation behind anyone's attendance in OK was just love. Not the love of an Atheist, or a Christian, or a Catholic, etc...but, as a human being who was reaching out to a human being in their time need.

Yeah, feel that Christian love and work ethic!

Doesn't surprise me. Hmm I wonder if Bradrck.org helped.

So, Joe Klein from Time claimed that no atheists helped victims in OK of tornadoes. The Friendly Atheist proves otherwise. (not breaking link, he'd like us.) http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyat ... tornadoes/

What a dickweed Klein is.

I have a good mind to cancel my Time subscription now.

Doesn't surprise me. Hmm I wonder if Bradrck.org helped.

They're really busy over at Bradrick!. Why, they have a fancy map that tells you where the crises are, and they can issue you photo credentials in the event you want to go gawk help. And they're going to have a Bradrick! store, where you can buy all sorts of manly costumes tools to help you in responding to emergencies. And, of course, they have to make time to procreate, ensuring future generations of Bradrick! responders (but only male offspring are quailified, obviously). Clearly, they're just too busy to actually show up and do actual physical work, aside from (maybe) clearing a paper jam in the copier.

Dying to see what kind of merchandise they're going to sell in their online store, which has been under development for ages. Perhaps Bradrick! is in deep fellowship consultation with Doug (Phillips who is a tool) to choose just the right, stylish yet manly, items to sell. Will there be a selection of tools? I have a feeling there will be quite a few...

Edited because I forgot the ! in Bradrick!.

My first thought was why did the journalist feel it was important to put people religious leanings or the religious affliations of the organizations in the article. Basically if my house had been destroyed and I needed help rebuilding my first question is not going to be what diety do you believe in. It is going to be what can you do to help and how can I repay you once on my feet.

Sad but unsurprising.

I've noticed with this and the Joplin tornado that a lot of people go there essentially just to look and take pictures and then come back acting like they did something wonderful.

Archived