IGNORED

Priestly duties?

1004srs

http://cjonline.com/news/2013-06-18/bru ... w-celibacy

I didn't break the link since it is a newspaper - from WBC's hometown!

For what its worth - I know Father Bill. Not personally, but as a priest. My interactions with him lead me to think he's a really nice man and a good priest.

Men become priests when they are college age, normally. I do think the celibacy thing should no longer be in place. It isn't natural and people do want to connect with others.

Too bad they seem to be throwing him under the bus.

Men may DECIDE to become priests when they are college age, though not all are that young. However, prior to ordination, they complete undergraduate seminary degrees and typically at least one master's degree. So they are not ordained at the typical 18-22 college age.

I didn't read the article as his being thrown under the bus. It said he will have some time for counseling, prayer, etc...I have known multiple priests who have left their parishes for a time or resigned from their parishes in order to be treated for a variety of issues including depression and anxiety disorder, and alcoholism. And they are all back in full time ministry now, including my own parish's priest.

As for celibacy, that is a complex issue particularly because this is a universal church. It is not viewed as a defining issue everywhere. Any change in the celibacy requirements, additionally, would likely mirror the Orthodox approach which is that a married man may be ordained but an unmarried ordained man may not subsequently marry. So even if the Pope announced tomorrow that celibacy was not required, it would not be followed by his making a dinner date and it would not change the situation for the priest in this article.

I don't know. Archbishop Nauman shouldn't have publicized this, imo. I know him fairly well and totally disagree with the decision to publish this.

In my religion, priests may marry, but if they do they can only go so far up the ladder. They'll remain parish priests only. I'm not too sure of the complete time frame they have to make this decision, but while it's before ordination, the man needs to be a certain age and he needs to have thought it out completely. You can't change your mind once decided.

We had a young priest in our parish a few years ago. Nice guy, everyone liked him (rare for this church...). Due to a shortage of men committing themselves to the priesthood, he was rushed through the ordination process and forced to choose a path before the official guidelines set. He was told by his supereiors that if he chose to be a celibate priest, due to the rush job put on him, they would come up with a special dispensation and allow him to renege and become a non-celibate priest. He made his choice (celibate) came to the parish and started in the job. He then met a woman and fell in love. His superiors reneged on their end of the bargain and gave him a new choice. Stay where you are and be a priest or choose the woman and leave the priesthood. He left. It's a shame because he was a nice guy, dedicated and good at his job. He got screwed over by the church leaders (big surprise). If the churches keep treating their priests like this they are going to be facing a real dilemma when they run out. Already there are many parishes that share priests due to shortage.

Celibacy is not (for many people) a natural thing. It's asking way too much of someone to forgo sexual intimacy for a lifetime.

Archived