IGNORED

Abortion, choice and morality (article)

purpleeee

Toronto Star: http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/201 ... ht_me.html

The writer describes her three abortions – the first scared, illegal and in the context of sexual abuse. The second because she could, in the suddenly freer atmosphere of the 70s. The third was a natural miscarriage, but she says “Did this take the decision out of my hands? No. I had already made the decision.â€

And that’s her main point, that free choice is unbelievably important:

Taking it out of the realm of choice, making it a criminal offence, destroys moral agency. What you choose to do with a choice like that makes you what you are...

...I became responsible for myself and for the choices I make. I was more thoughtful, and much less judgmental of the choices others make. I learned so much more from this abortion, than I could ever have learned from the first one. And that all came from choice.

I agree with her that there is far more understanding and learning available in a choice made freely than in an act done in a context of no choice. Having faith in someone’s ability to go through this process is where fundy thought breaks down – beyond the whole issue in thinking they know how the process should end, it seems there is absolutely no trust in others. Or perhaps, in themselves.

Thank you for sharing the article. I appreciate the author's candor. You can tell that each of the three experiences helped her grow as a person and confirmed her need for choice.

Archived