IGNORED

Christians boycott Starbucks right now.

doggie

Christians boycott Starbucks right now.

Somehow I think this is going to fail worse then the Chik-fil-a boycott. of course it was not ok the boycott chicken but its prettily fine to boycott coffee.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/0 ... 79537.html

Coffee-drinking Christians, take note: There's apparently "no way" a truly righteous Christian can drink Starbucks beverages.

At least, that's the opinion of former evangelical pastor and conservative activist David Barton, whose May 19 sermon on pious caffeine consumption was recently posted online.

Speaking at Whitesburg Baptist Church, Barton said that Starbucks was "pouring money" into the destruction of traditional marriage, according to video of the speech.

"The question is, 'Can a Christian give money to a group he knows will use it to attack what God supports?'" Barton said. "If you know that when you buy a cup of Starbucks, 5, 10, 15 cents is going to be used to defeat marriage, can you do that? The answer is 'no.'"

In January of 2012, Starbucks was one of several companies that publicly supported Washington state's same-sex marriage bill, CNN notes. Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz then re-affirmed his company's support for same-sex equality during the annual shareholders meeting in March of 2013.

As a result of the franchise and Schultz' statements, "there's no way a Christian can help support what is attacking God," Barton continued. "I'm sorry, you've got to find some other coffee to drink. You can't drink Starbucks and be Biblically correct on this thing. It's just a real simple principle."

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Barton is not the only one who has objected to Starbucks' support of gay marriage.

In March, TheTeaParty.net, a large Tea Party organization, linked to a "Dump Starbucks" boycott site on Facebook, Mediaite reports. As of Monday afternoon, the "Dump Starbucks" website had more than 63,000 pledges.

Barton, meanwhile, has been a clear opponent of gay marriage for several years. In April, Barton claimed that gay marriage is unconstitutional because it goes against "natural law." He has also compared homosexuality to the choice of smoking cigarettes and stated that same-sex marriage is similar to marriage between a horse and a dog.

I think Michelle and Jimbob will have to sleep with one eye open if they even suggest it to their daughters.

More for the rest of us. I like local places better, but sometimes 'bucks just does the best sweet drinks

Are they going to give up on all corporations that support gay marriage and give partner benefits, because they will be limited on what they can buy. Also if money motivated what they found socially acceptable, shouldn't their churches be growing by leaps and bounds.

I'm semi-addicted to this (limited time!) caramel drink with caramel crunchies. I had $35 in Starbucks gift cards stashed up, so I am over-indulging lately.

I never specifically boycotted Chick-fil-a, but never ate there, either. I guess they did change their stance on the gays, though, so I would say the boycott worked.

Oh if only I still lived down south... then I could have Starbucks coffee at Copenhagen (Kastrup) airport. I miss those times, when I could get home quicker by going through Denmark instead of waiting for the morning train to take me further in Sweden. I miss almost living in Denmark. Damn it.

I find Starbucks too weak. I always need an extra shot in my flat white. There are better places round here.

Well, judging by the line of minivans with the fish decals in the Starburcks drive-thru in the small mid-western town I was in this weekend, I don't think the word is really out there yet.

I find Starbucks too weak. I always need an extra shot in my flat white. There are better places round here.

Not here. :( But then I do happen to live back with my parents in the deep, deep forests in the middle of nowhere. We have Espresso house (Swedish coffee brand) but it's just meeh.

They do love their boycotts, don't they. Holding on to relevence I suspect. Considering all the good that Starbucks does in terms of charity, this seems misguided. Myself, I don't go to Starbucks unless I have a gift card. I am not a coffee afficiandado and drink only one cup a day and don't care what it tastes like. I think I drink it out of habit at this point. I am a huge fan of chai frappucinos, though, so I avoid Starbucks for that reason. I would order one every day if I let myself.

I find it too strong. :lol: Different strokes, I guess.

I love the local Starbucks' soy lattes. I don't know if it's technique or the brand of soy milk, but their soy latte is so fluffy and delicious, it's totally worth the 20 minute wait in line and the $5. It's so hard to restrain myself to 1 or 2 a week.

I'm not really a coffee person, but we have one right next to our office and I do admit a weakness for their chocolate smoothies.

More for the rest of us. I like local places better, but sometimes 'bucks just does the best sweet drinks

Seconded. I don't care for their hot chocolate (too bitter), and even I can make better coffee (though I'm terrible at it), but if I want a frappacino or other sweetened coffee drink, I'm headed right to Starbucks.

Shoot, this thread is making me want one right now. And if I can enrage a homophobic, fundamentalist idiot while getting my sweet coffee drink fix, then so much the better. :disgust:

Currently boycotting Starbucks because of their tax avoidance in the UK, but I would love to support companies that support marriage equality. SIGH.

Don't tell Jinger, although Tonnitown probably doesn't have a starbucks so no harm done.

I don't mind starbucks, it's my favorite around Christmas. I prefer a Canadian national chain called second cup better. The coffee is fair trade as well.

I'm semi-addicted to this (limited time!) caramel drink with caramel crunchies. I had $35 in Starbucks gift cards stashed up, so I am over-indulging lately.

I never specifically boycotted Chick-fil-a, but never ate there, either. I guess they did change their stance on the gays, though, so I would say the boycott worked.

Their limited time mocha cookie one is AMAZING, too

When I want something that actually tastes like coffee, I go to the local chain (which happily also has much higher quality food at a cheaper price than Starbucks, too!), when I want something sweet, I go to Starbucks. I've sampled around and Starbucks has the best pumpkin late, hands down. I've never found another place that does a decent cinnamon late, either. I'm lucky to live in a city that rivals Seattle for sheer number of coffee shops and I like to try new ones when I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm a Christian. and I love Starbucks...but, then again, I also believe that the Earth is older the 4,000 years old, and that the Great Flood didn't actually cover the entire globe, so what do I know??...

Starbucks is overpriced and overcrowded. That being said, I do enjoy showing up at my fundie family's house with it because it annoys them so much.

I make my own coffee because I'm a cheapskate but I wouldn't boycott Starbucks and will go if invited. It's like these people look for something to zero in on and make a CAUSE out of, even though they completely ignore 99% of the other stuff they do that is exactly the same thing.

If it wasn't 105 degrees here, I would go to my local Starbucks just to offset the boycott.

I find it too strong. :lol: Different strokes, I guess.

I love the local Starbucks' soy lattes. I don't know if it's technique or the brand of soy milk, but their soy latte is so fluffy and delicious, it's totally worth the 20 minute wait in line and the $5. It's so hard to restrain myself to 1 or 2 a week.

I find Starbucks a bit on the strong side too. But I love their pumpkin lattes and peppermint mochas.

I make my own coffee because I'm a cheapskate but I wouldn't boycott Starbucks and will go if invited. It's like these people look for something to zero in on and make a CAUSE out of, even though they completely ignore 99% of the other stuff they do that is exactly the same thing.

I'm surprised it's taken the Christian right this long to organize a boycott of one of the many pro-marriage equality companies out there. Maybe it's taken them this long to decide which one to go for.

I wonder if Smuggar will join the boycott. Something tells me he's going to stay quiet on this one.

Well, judging by the line of minivans with the fish decals in the Starburcks drive-thru in the small mid-western town I was in this weekend, I don't think the word is really out there yet.

Maybe they're the kind of Christian who actually loves their neighbour...

Archived