IGNORED

diary of a pro life girl

merrily

I never call them pro-life. If a woman is at risk of dying from a pregnancy, she would surely prefer that the woman die rather than have an abortion. You can't claim to be pro-life when you actually want more people to die. Further, I've saved more actual lives than any of them have, by voluntarily donating blood as often as possible. And yet I would never advocate that anyone else, anti-abortion folks included, be forced to donate their blood to save the lives of others, even though people surely are dying since they aren't donating.

Sorry how do you know that you have saved more actual lives than "any of them have" by donating blood. That seems a strange claim to make.

Sorry how do you know that you have saved more actual lives than "any of them have" by donating blood. That seems a strange claim to make.

Can't answer for banancat, but being anti-choice ruins lives. Plus most anti-choice people aren't out doing things to improve the lives of women, they just want to ruin them. Sure some are, but most are just out there fucking up the lives of women while claiming that they really do care about women. So so while bananacat might not have saved lives, she has for sure done more to improve lives by donating blood and valuing the quality of life women have.

If she has donated blood a recipient has used, she has saved lives in the plural. It takes you getting to a very bad place for doctors to even consider hanging a unit on you. It's not just traumatic accidents, you can bleed out during birth or during an even routine surgery. If you are on dialysis or some types of chemo you need transfusions just to function. If you are a micropremie, you will most likely need transfusions to live.

As someone who lived another day after a ruptured appendix and a dangerous surgery and recovery, I say thank you to bananacat and all the donors out there. My total in that mess? 6 units of other people's blood who I will never be able to thank.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

If she has donated blood a recipient has used, she has saved lives in the plural. It takes you getting to a very bad place for doctors to even consider hanging a unit on you. It's not just traumatic accidents, you can bleed out during birth or during an even routine surgery. If you are on dialysis or some types of chemo you need transfusions just to function. If you are a micropremie, you will most likely need transfusions to live.

As someone who lived another day after a ruptured appendix and a dangerous surgery and recovery, I say thank you to bananacat and all the donors out there. My total in that mess? 6 units of other people's blood who I will never be able to thank.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

I'm exceedingly grateful to anyone who is willing to donate blood. For cancer patients, particularly during the first year in leukemia treatment, many of them need a unit or two of blood at least once a month. Some lose blood cells so quickly that they require a unit a week. Sickle cell anemia patients are often treated in the same clinic or on the same floor as cancer patients, and require monthly transfusions. The need there is obviously neverending.

Thank you to everyone who has ever donated blood! :mrgreen:

Oh if I could donate blood I would. I felt so super proud when I did... Then I became heavily medicated for some health issues, and years have gone by. When or if I get off my meds in the future, I will wait the recquired 4 months and then head straight to the blood donor clinic and feel like a responsible grown-up again.

This thread has reminded me I need to get back into donating blood. My youngest is old enough and we have a car so I can get to a donation place. I do miss when I was close enough to a donation centre to easily walk. I've been meaning to donate again since my husband had over 30 different kind of transfusions (that we know of, there were probably more during his first surgery) a few years ago. He's not allowed to donate here, which is ridiculous, it's because of the mad cow thing in England 2 decades ago, so I'll do it.

As for this pro-lifer, plus all the others, all I can say to them boils down to "Fuck you.". I haven't had an abortion, but I strongly considered it twice. Once I had a miscarriage and once I eventually chose to keep the baby. I love him dearly, because it was my decision to have him. If I'd been forced to, I might very well be incredibly resentful.

Sounds like ever Pro-Life talking point I've ever heard.

She is bringing nothing new or thoughtful to the table.

Purity is the best. No one should feel it is too difficult to pet a unicorn.

:laughing-rolling:

And yeah... seriously. Wouldn't it be nice to live in a perfect world where nothing bad ever happened. Too bad that's never going to happen.

As a regular blood donor i'd like to encourage those who can to consider donating platelets as well. I've been donating nearly every month going on 10 years now. A lot of people are somewhat reluctant to do it because it is a time commitment (about 1-1/2 to 2 hours) and its usually a two-arm process (I've only done one arm once) but its really not a big deal--it's almost like forced relaxation with cable, music and whatnot--and the staff are so freaking nice and accommodating. It's such a small sacrifice on the part of the donors but it means so much.

As a regular blood donor i'd like to encourage those who can to consider donating platelets as well. I've been donating nearly every month going on 10 years now. A lot of people are somewhat reluctant to do it because it is a time commitment (about 1-1/2 to 2 hours) and its usually a two-arm process (I've only done one arm once) but its really not a big deal--it's almost like forced relaxation with cable, music and whatnot--and the staff are so freaking nice and accommodating. It's such a small sacrifice on the part of the donors but it means so much.

As someone who has had multiple blood and platelet transfusions in the past six years, thank you. Donors like you really make a difference for those of us fighting cancer. :worship: :handgestures-thumbup: :hug:

I survived on blood (and platelet) donations for my first year because I had a disease where I did not make enough blood cells, while waiting for a transplant. I had to have another transfusion a few years ago after surgery. So another post of thanks to everyone who donates blood!

You all make me feel bad. I can't donate blood at all. They won't let me. :cry: If I could, I would. I really would.

Signing up on a bone marrow registry is also very helpful - particularly if you are an ethnic minority.

Sounds like ever Pro-Life talking point I've ever heard.

She is bringing nothing new or thoughtful to the table.

Well, there is nothing really to be brought to that table, actually. They have a half hadful of "reasons" that can be debunked in 3 secs anyway. Doesn't she have anything better to do with her life? She could volunteer to help out in crisis centers for women. That would be a humbling (and uplifting) experience for her.

Archived