IGNORED

diary of a pro life girl

merrily

prolife-girl.blogspot.de/2011/07/10-reasons-to-be-pro-life.html :doh:

1. The right to life trumps every other right, since you can't have rights if you're dead.

You can't have rights if you don't have a brain that allows you to feel pain or think

2. Women often feel that they have no choice but to abort - where are their options? No one should feel that it is too difficult to have a baby

Who the hell is she to tell someone what they can and can't feel?

4. Life begins at conception - and personhood begins when life begins. Insisting otherwise simply imposes subjective ideas on the status of our fellow human beings.

I disagree strongly with her statement here. Personhood is different than being human. Sperm is human and alive. Personhood is when your brain can feel pain and experience some sort of recognition that you exist. I can understand the controversy over late term abortions but not early abortions.

6. Abortion survivors, and other children whose mothers wanted to abort them, should never feel like they shouldn't have been born.

Again she is confusing how she wants the world to be and how it is.

7. Fathers have no control over the fate of their children if the mothers decide to "terminate" them, and that is not fair.

So, should dads have the right to force the mothers of their children to get an abortion? Women carry the lives for nine months. It is our bodies that are used and in some cases endangered by what is ultimately a parasite. Yes, that is not the warm, fuzzy view of pregnancy that fundies put forth but it is true. It should be the woman's choice because she is the one whose body is being used. Maybe she wants to argue or more father's rights or men to be able to opt out of taking financial care of nonplanned pregnancies because that seems to be where her argument leads.

10. Being pro-life is being pro-women - pregnancy is a natural, beautiful fact of life, and something only women can do! It is not a disease, and it doesn't need to be "cured". It is an amazing gift.

I am one of those women who detested being pregnant. For most of my pregnancy I vomited and felt out of sorts. At night my legs ached and my back hurt as soon as my belly got big. It wasn't just uncomfortable but very, very unpleasant. I chose to have my children but luckily I had the choice.

Interesting find. Although I completely disagree with her, she is well-spoken.

Eh, I just think she is regurgitating talking points. I've seen all those arguments at some point, and she doesn't even try to back up anything with facts. It's all emotion based crap that denies that women are sentient beings as well and paints a rosy picture of pregnancy and childbirth.

If she really wanted to reduce the number of abortions in this country she would have written about supporting birth control education initiatives.

I am so sick of the term 'pro life'. People who are pro choice don't advocate baby killing. The point is who gets to make the decision -- the mother and father or the government or some other third party. Once we cross over to letting the government have a say in pregnancy, talk about a slippery slope. Will doctors have to report women who don't eat healthy, who drink, who smoke, who don't take care of their bodies during pregnancy? Since having a baby apparently trumps the mother's life, will a mother's medical records no longer be private? Will they be jailed? This is just one more area where people who claim to hate the government want it to intervene when they disagree with other people's individual choices.

I have the perfect solution for anti-choicers. Provide women with an absolute, fool-proof, 100% guarantee that she will never, ever, ever have an unwanted pregnancy or one in which the fetus is non-viable, or perfect conception AND gestation outside of a woman's body, effectively taking her out of the equation (except for agreeing to produce a child in the first place). Unless and until either or both of those options is a reality, then the LIVING, BREATHING, THINKING woman is the ONLY person who should be in control of her body.

Eh, I just think she is regurgitating talking points. I've seen all those arguments at some point, and she doesn't even try to back up anything with facts. It's all emotion based crap that denies that women are sentient beings as well and paints a rosy picture of pregnancy and childbirth.

If she really wanted to reduce the number of abortions in this country she would have written about supporting birth control education initiatives.

I agree. She isn't putting forth any new argument against abortion.

I never call them pro-life. If a woman is at risk of dying from a pregnancy, she would surely prefer that the woman die rather than have an abortion. You can't claim to be pro-life when you actually want more people to die. Further, I've saved more actual lives than any of them have, by voluntarily donating blood as often as possible. And yet I would never advocate that anyone else, anti-abortion folks included, be forced to donate their blood to save the lives of others, even though people surely are dying since they aren't donating.

Guest Anonymous
5. Women who choose to go through with their pregnancy are looked down upon because they could have had it easier if they chose an abortion - like that's really being pro-choice.

This is just ridiculous. She seems to be saying that pro-choice people don't like it when women have babies. How could that possibly be true? How would that be sustainable?

10. Being pro-life is being pro-women - pregnancy is a natural, beautiful fact of life, and something only women can do! It is not a disease, and it doesn't need to be "cured". It is an amazing gift.

Stuff that is 'natural' and 'beautiful' can still be dangerous and life-threatening. Also, I don't think anyone really speaks in terms of curing pregnancy.

Offensive thing of the day: The picture in the side bar of a black baby with its hand in a fist and the words 'We Shall Overcome'. It's from an organisation called Abolish Human Abortion (abolishhumanabortion.com/). I clicked through to the website and these were the first words that I saw:

Following in the footsteps of former abolitionist movements, we aim to end one of the greatest human miseries and moral evils ever to be entrenched in our world.

(The quote is snipped but the emphasis is from the original.)

I clicked around the website a bit more and found classic abolitionist pictures ('Am I not a man and a brother?', a slave with a whip-scarred back, slaves packed onto a slave ship) plastered over with anti-choice propaganda. They manage to both literally and figuratively obscure the horrors of slavery with their anti-choice bullshit. :angry-banghead:

I know I've strayed a bit from the pro-life girl blog. I need to vent my anger about this so I don't explode.

2. Women often feel that they have no choice but to abort - where are their options? No one should feel that it is too difficult to have a baby

So the solution is to make a law that causes women to feel they have no option than to birth a baby?

6. Abortion survivors, and other children whose mothers wanted to abort them, should never feel like they shouldn't have been born.

But currently women who want to have abortions generally get them, I would think. Therefore outlawing abortions would create MORE children whose mother wanted an abortion and who feel unloved.

Her arguments really make no sense. Like most pro-life (and fundie) arguments, her point really boils down to "I think abortion is icky."

Blah bleeh bläääh :puke-front: I can't deal with this "pro-life"-fakery anymore. It's just so fake. There's no real concern for humanity.

1. The right to life trumps every other right, since you can't have rights if you're dead.

Exactly. My right to life triumphs a non-viable fetus. I can't have rights if I die during pregnancy.

. Women often feel that they have no choice but to abort - where are their options? No one should feel that it is too difficult to have a baby.

Many women abort for this very reason. So, what are you going to do about it? Are you offering to pay for some of the expenses? Free childcare? Educational opportunities? Better jobs? Insurance? Better housing? Having a baby is very difficult. It's expensive and time-consuming. Your life will not be just yours anymore. I admit there's few reasons I would ever consider abortion personally because I really want to be a mother and have a condition that cause infertility, so any pregnancy would be wonderful for me. But I want to make that sacrifice, no matter how difficult it is, because I want to be a mother and am I choosing to bring a child into the world should nature allow it. But that's the thing. It's my choice. Not everyone wants to make that choice and that's okay. That's why I am still pro-choice all the way with abortion or not. I am very pro-life for all living beings on Earth. I'm the person who feels bad about killing spiders and ants and feels sad to see a dead worm on the road. Yeah, I'm pathetic. That's why I would much rather a woman who does not want to be a parent abort early on. Better an abortion at 8 weeks gestation than murdered at two months while a living, breathing human.

3. No one can look at pictures or videos of abortions and not feel uncomfortable about the practice.

Usually there's nothing to see unless it's past the first trimester. I know people who have miscarried in the first trimester and there's not really anything there but tissues and blood and icky stuff. It's not pretty, but I don't feel upset. I feel upset for the wannabe parents who are upset at losing the chance to have a child right now. That's what's sad. When a couple loses a pregnancy they really wanted and are upset at the loss of a chance to be parent (or be parent again).

4. Life begins at conception - and personhood begins when life begins. Insisting otherwise simply imposes subjective ideas on the status of our fellow human beings.

No, it doesn't. Even when a human loses their ability to think and/or breath (vegetative state, coma and/or life support), we still value them because they were once living, breathing, thinking human beings. Even newborns can think. They are just new, but they are learning quickly. At 10 weeks gestation, there's not any chance for survival outside their womb and no one yet knows them or loves them yet. I am be excited about the prospect of a coming baby, but at 10 weeks I can't feel it, though I may have heard a heartbeat. That's it. It's still difficult to see on an ultrasound and not much it there yet. It still looks like an alien being at that point. I wouldn't be showing and no one would even know I was expecting unless I told them. I wouldn't yet know that alien creature that's invaded my body, though I would certainly be excited to see just who that alien fetus will be one day and what their personality will be like. The start of a chance of life begins at conception. There's still little guarantee that a life will ever come from that chance. Too many things are still likely to go wrong. Until the fetus exits my womb, it is not a full person yet.

Women who choose to go through with their pregnancy are looked down upon because they could have had it easier if they chose an abortion - like that's really being pro-choice.

This is total bullshit. Name five people who turn their noses up on women who are pregnant. Yeah, didn't think so. I am thrilled for women who want to have a baby. I am happy for those happy about a life situation that they are looking forward to having. I know a woman a year older than me with PCOS and she just found out she is pregnant and she is thrilled. I am beyond thrilled for her since she thought she never could become pregnant. Not one person is looking down on her for it. Please. Come up with a real argument.

That can happen without mothers who considered an abortion too. Woman my sister knows said she say nothing on the ultrasound, but a boy hasn't been ruled out yet. Hopefully it won't be. With a huge smile to boot. Gee, if it's a girl, imagine how she's going to feel when she comes across that message one day. Not much better to know your parents were disappointed you weren't the gender they wanted.

7. Fathers have no control over the fate of their children if the mothers decide to "terminate" them, and that is not fair.

Life's not fair. Women are the ones who have to carry the pregnancy and as such, they decide whether or not to continue being pregnant. Tough luck. Fathers skip out all the time on carrying for the children they helped create and that's not fair either. Life sucks. Bury your head in the sand with the ostrich or learn to suck with it.

8. Abortions aren't the simple, painless medical procedures that some pro-choicers make them out to be.

Neither is pregnancy and childbirth. Did you know childbirth is one of the most painful things a human body can endure?

9. Everyone deserves to have their chance at life protected - even those who are handicapped, unwanted, or inconvenient, and especially those who are helpless and voiceless.

Every person who's a living person, should be protected. Zygotes are not the same as someone with a physical or mental disability or illness.

Dart frogs are natural and beautiful, but touch one and you'll regret it.

I am so sick of the term 'pro life'. People who are pro choice don't advocate baby killing. The point is who gets to make the decision -- the mother and father or the government or some other third party. Once we cross over to letting the government have a say in pregnancy, talk about a slippery slope. Will doctors have to report women who don't eat healthy, who drink, who smoke, who don't take care of their bodies during pregnancy? Since having a baby apparently trumps the mother's life, will a mother's medical records no longer be private? Will they be jailed? This is just one more area where people who claim to hate the government want it to intervene when they disagree with other people's individual choices.

And they are pro birth not pro life. If they valued life they would advocate social and economic policies that gave all children a fighting chance

Arsenic is also natural. It's even an element, listed on the Periodic Table of Elements, but I don't suspect she'd know that, chemistry being science and all.

Anonymous1 April 2013 12:56

In addition to no. 3, who can watch someone give birth and not feel uncomfortable?

When I did my obstetrics clinical in nursing school, all my classmates were amazed by the childbirths they observed. Not me. I hated it. So much pain for the mom-to-be. Couldn't wait for the semester to be over.

From the comments:

Am I the only one who laughs at the people who rhapsodize about the natural beauty of pregnancy when they have never been pregnant? I mean, it can be a really fun experience but it can also suck.

One of the problems that can't be solved with pretty words. There's a lot of them out here in the real world.

I know some people love being pregnant, but it was kind of meh for me. Plus my foot grew and I could no longer wear my favorite shoes.

There are some things I've asked anti-choice people and still want to ask. Unsurprisingly, no pro-life/anti-choice people have given me an answer.

1. Why not find ways to keep women who don't want or can't safely have children from getting pregnant? Why not birth control for both men and women?

2. Why not find ways to stop birth control abuse? Both genders have been known to sabatoge birth control pills, condoms, and things like that. Why not at least raise awareness about it?

3. Why not put medical studies into what genes cause what physical deformities in infants?

4. Why not research what causes medical mental problems in infants?

5. Why not raise awareness in pregnancy related complications?

6. Teach sex-ed to students! They need to know sperm plus egg equals baby! Ignorance can be dangerous!

7. Stop shaming women and children!

8. Is this really about the babies or controlling women?

I never call them pro-life. If a woman is at risk of dying from a pregnancy, she would surely prefer that the woman die rather than have an abortion. You can't claim to be pro-life when you actually want more people to die. Further, I've saved more actual lives than any of them have, by voluntarily donating blood as often as possible. And yet I would never advocate that anyone else, anti-abortion folks included, be forced to donate their blood to save the lives of others, even though people surely are dying since they aren't donating.

I refuse to take prolifers seriously until they advocate for forced organ and blood donation. That wiuld be prolife. These idiots are just misogynists with better PR.

I've found that the most effective tool against (most) anti-abortion people is to ask, "So, if you believe that a fetus is equal to someone who is already born, then by extension you must support that any woman and doctor (and possibly man, if the father is involved) who procures/performs an abortion should be charged with first degree murder and punished accordingly."

That usually shuts them up. If they answer "yes," then you know they're delusional and/or cruel and there's really no other recourse other than to give them side eye and say, "Let me know how that works out for you." If they answer "no, but..." (most of the time, in my experience) then it's proof positive that when it comes down to it, even THEY don't think of fetuses as fully equivalent to a born person.

I refuse to take prolifers seriously until they advocate for forced organ and blood donation. That wiuld be prolife. These idiots are just misogynists with better PR.

They would also have to be vegans before I can take them seriously. A full-grown pig knows more than a human fetus. So, how can they justify eating pork? :cray-cray:

I've had it with these brainwashed fundies with poor education that spew this bullshit trying to get people to think their way

How shallow is thy thinking?

Suicide is sad. No one should feel that it is too difficult to live.

Divorce is bad. No one should feel that it is too difficult to stay married.

Birth control is not necessary. No one should feel that it is too difficult to raise 20 children.

Purity is the best. No one should feel it is too difficult to pet a unicorn.

Agreed however I don't believe that a fetus is alive since it can't live outside of the mother's body.

2. Women often feel that they have no choice but to abort - where are their options? No one should feel that it is too difficult to have a baby.

Have you taken care of a baby? It's hard work even if we improved things so that the financial aspects were provided for it's still going to change a person's life so it should be their choice if they want that change or not.

3. No one can look at pictures or videos of abortions and not feel uncomfortable about the practice.

Have you ever watched a birth? It's pretty disgusting too especially the placenta.

If it can't live on it's own then I don't consider it alive. Even people who use machines to keep them alive still are using machines not a host body. If it's growing inside my body then it's my choice what to do with it. And you definately can't consider the group of cells, which it is early on to be on the same level as a person.

5. Women who choose to go through with their pregnancy are looked down upon because they could have had it easier if they chose an abortion - like that's really being pro-choice.

Hmmm I'm very pro-choice yet have had two pregnancies that ended in birth. However I wanted those babies and wanted to be pregnant.

Lots of people feel like they shouldn't have been born. My stepbrother found out at one point that he was an accident. While my stepmother never mentioned considering an abortion I still think he felt unwanted. Perhaps if BC was more effective there would be fewer unwanted children.

They also don't get to through the amazing process of pregnancy. My husband will never feel a baby move inside his belly or experience the pain of labor. Life is unfair.

8. Abortions aren't the simple, painless medical procedures that some pro-choicers make them out to be.

And pregnancy isn't a joyous experience that so many anti-abortionist make it out to be either!

9. Everyone deserves to have their chance at life protected - even those who are handicapped, unwanted, or inconvenient, and especially those who are helpless and voiceless.

Once they are born then I'm 100% against killing the handicapped. Before they're born then it's up to the person who has to undergo the pregnancy.

You've clearly never been pregnant and had horrible morning sickness. Puking up everything you eat really takes away the beauty away. And is probably grosser then a lot of abortion procedures.

Archived