IGNORED

Marriage for same-sex couples was finally adopted in France!

Marianne

Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité !

Yesterday, the National Assembly has adopted by a formal vote the "project of law to open the marriage at the same-sexe couples" (projet de loi visant à ouvrir le mariage aux personnes de même sexe.)

For : 331 voices (and two voice of UMP deputies who UMP deputies who confuse "for" and "against "!

Against : 225 voices

Abstention : 10 voices

The debates between deputies were violent, there were shots exchanged. To the Assembly, waiting homosexual, but also neo-Nazi, etc ... There had riots.

It is a great joyce today to the homosexual community in France (I'm a part of this communities). After several months to hear, see, feel, homophobia, we just hope for peace, equality, peace ... and love !

:clap: :clap:

I was in Paris last year when Hollande was elected and was able to partake in the celebrations at Place de la Bastille. It was so cool to see. I saw pictures of a similarly large crowd at Place de la Bastille yesterday and so wished I could have been there to see it!

Congratulations!

I hope the UK process isn't delayed (I think it's at the committee stage at the moment?). Hope more of mainland Europe follows suit, I'm very surprised that Germany hasn't. Also Australia, please!

Congratulations!

I hope the UK process isn't delayed (I think it's at the committee stage at the moment?). Hope more of mainland Europe follows suit, I'm very surprised that Germany hasn't. Also Australia, please!

That surprises me too about Germany, considering Berlin is and has long been a LGBT-friendly city, almost like a free town (fristad?) for LGBT-people (mostly from Europe). At least that's the impression I got from Berlin during my short stay there. Each and single one I met and talked to was LGBT (I visited my Swedish queer friend from high school who lived with three gay men).

Btw. I find it quite depressing that most of Europe hasn't legalized same-sex marriage yet. I guess I should be more optimistic though... but France just seems like a really small victory...

*throws confetti*

Congratulations! I hope that we in the U.S. can join the equality party in the not-too-distant future.

It may be small, but small victories lead to large ones. No one ever accomplished anything big without knocking out some little stuff first.

I'm optimistic about the rest of Europe, but I think it'll be a while before it hits the states.

Viva La France! :gay-umbrella:

It looks like Rhode Island will be the 10th US state to legalize gay marriage. Unfortunately, it looks like the battle is one state at a time here.

That surprises me too about Germany, considering Berlin is and has long been a LGBT-friendly city, almost like a free town (fristad?) for LGBT-people (mostly from Europe). At least that's the impression I got from Berlin during my short stay there. Each and single one I met and talked to was LGBT (I visited my Swedish queer friend from high school who lived with three gay men).

Germany has some kind of civil union system I think. Maybe the church tax....thing is stopping more progress in Germany?

:clap: :clap:

I was in Paris last year when Hollande was elected and was able to partake in the celebrations at Place de la Bastille. It was so cool to see. I saw pictures of a similarly large crowd at Place de la Bastille yesterday and so wished I could have been there to see it!

You're really a lucky man ! Even if I wasn't for Holland (I was for Mélenchon), I would have dreamed of being on the Place de la Bastille !

Here in my city (Toulouse), we saw the passage of the law in a gay-friendly bar, where the owner led the champagne. There were several gay flag in the streets, and a small demonstration of joy in front of the town hall with the mayor. After months of demonstrations of hatred, it's good !

For Germany, a friend told us that it was the Protestant Church lobbied against a gay marriage. In France we are helped by secularism. Spain (a very caholiques countries), the bishops were not united against the marriage, which helped Zapatero to pass the law.

Yeah !

I'm so happy too, it's finally done !!

:happy-jumpeveryone:

We had such a hard time this past months with so much hate and homophobia shown on the streets !!!

:gay-rainbow:

I voted for Mélenchon too Marianne :D ;)

It may be small, but small victories lead to large ones. No one ever accomplished anything big without knocking out some little stuff first.

I'm optimistic about the rest of Europe, but I think it'll be a while before it hits the states.

Great point! I hope you are right about the rest of Europe. Congrats France and congrats Marianne!

Sometimes it seems like two steps forward and one step back, but the overall trend is inching in a good direction. There's a very stark graphic of the difference here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:World ... y_laws.svg (wikipedia). In huge swathes of the world, being gay still puts you in serious danger.

Archived