IGNORED

Can anybody think of any short stories with a twist?

moodygirl86

"Damn!" yelled Frank as he checked the time. "Move, Selina. Donna'll be here in five. She won't be happy if she sees you."

I gave a leisurely stretch before shifting myself. Donna had ruined everything with her possessiveness. Before she came along, Frank and I used to spend every weekend together. Just at that moment, the doorbell rang and Frank's face lit up - he really did love her.

"Thank God you've stopped that mangy cat from sleeping on the bed!" Donna exclaimed as she walked into the room.

Thanks guys, I loved those, particularly Tobermory! My OP wasn't even long enough to be a story, just a few lines I made up! Not very original, I admit.

Actually, this thread's just reminded me of a short story our English teacher made us read in year nine, but I can't remember the title. It only just occurred to me again tonight because I'm feeling morbid for some reason! The plot revolves around a residential special school - St Angela's/Agnes, or something. The scene is set in the classroom, where the teacher is busy "prattling on about the syllabus" on a telephone, while the pupils are drawing, the pictures "conveying nothing". Two of the kids - a boy called Billy and a girl - are looking out of the window and quietly mouth to each other, "What do we see today? Angels", take each other's hand and step out to meet the "angels". The teacher then realises what they are doing and frantically tries to stop them but is tragically too late. The story concludes with "It would be with her always, Billy and (friend's name) stepping off the window ledge into eternity". Does anyone know the title to this?

• 2 weeks later...

Flannery O'Connor - A Good Man is Hard to Find (short and painful, but worth it)

Joyce Carol Oates - Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been? (I'm amazed more English teachers haven't read or even heard of this story!)

These are two of my favorites.

Another vote for Chopin's "The Story of an Hour", Jackson's "The Lottery," & Bierce's "Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge."

• 4 weeks later...

Any of Roald Dahls short stories. He wrote adult stories while recovering from severe burns. They're hilarious and sobering.

Any of Roald Dahls short stories. He wrote adult stories while recovering from severe burns. They're hilarious and sobering.

Seconding Roald Dahl, his short stories are wonderful.

Stephen King has a lot of short stories, varying in quality, but by the very nature of the genre many of them have twists - and some are a heck of a lot of fun.

"Damn!" yelled Frank as he checked the time. "Move, Selina. Donna'll be here in five. She won't be happy if she sees you."

I gave a leisurely stretch before shifting myself. Donna had ruined everything with her possessiveness. Before she came along, Frank and I used to spend every weekend together. Just at that moment, the doorbell rang and Frank's face lit up - he really did love her.

"Thank God you've stopped that mangy cat from sleeping on the bed!" Donna exclaimed as she walked into the room.

China Mieville's "Looking for Jake". Not classic twists, but stories you will never forget.

I have a collection of short fantasy stories, with the first story being about a very small vampire and his unlikely end.

Also, anything Harlan Ellison.

I'm also reminded of som of Ray Bradbury's short stories..."The Small Assassin" comes to mind

Archived