IGNORED

Rubies going mainstream (as seen on Yahoo)

MamaJunebug

So, I'm a sucker for home decorating tidbits, and earlier today, Yahoo (IIRC, it might have been a paper Better Homes and Gardens in the MD waiting room) had a series on small living spaces, which linked somewhere to clever re-dos of rooms. Yeah, pretty sure it was Yahoo.

Here's what gave me the heebie-jeebies: One craft room - previously a dining room, but the family didn't need a dining room as much as they needed a craft room, so it became a craft room - was identified as being from a site called "Raising Up Rubies."

This evening, with some trepidation I googled that phrase and here you go:

raisinguprubies.blogspot.com/2012/05/cute-place-to-make-stuff.

The room itself is pretty darned cool if you like that sort of thing. I don't - I have no interest in crafting - but the design, colors, execution are all perfection.

What's not cool is that the mom is raising her daughters to be semi-precious jewels instead of sentient, self-reliant, educated, prepared young women. Ok, ok, hyperbole rules. And the room design are worthy of study. I just hope folks who go there to get ideas for their small spaces / craft areas / what-have-you don't get sucked in by the picture-perfect life of a submissive wifey and her submissive-in-training daughters and the husband who is so manly and hops to the wife's every whim on constructing said room .... ew. Crafts and now perfection. If only I hadn't clicked on that link...

From her "About Me" page:

i do not like capital letters or punctuation

(they're not cute)

I . . . I am at a loss for how to respond to this.

Um, um, um. They're not supposed to be cute; they're supposed to make your writing clearer.

Um, um, um. They're not supposed to be cute; they're supposed to make your writing clearer.

But women aren't supposed to sound too smart! Women are supposed to be cute!

[/sarcasm]

Aren't parentheses and ellipses also punctuation marks?

That's a gorgeous craft room, but what's with using hearts as apostrophes? I guess that comes from the same writing manual as the non-usage of capital letters. :D

Not nearly as impressed with the actual crafts she produces as the crafting room she produces them IN.

My big problem is that I prefer to not be isolated and alone when I craft. It doesn't matter how pretty I make a crafting room, I'll still drag everything out onto the living room floor to create (including sewing machine and serger). My other problem is that just when my babies got big enough to leave my crafting supplies alone, my daughters (and alas only one of my sons) found a love of crafting and have taken to STEALING my crafting supplies everytime I turn around.

I have concluded I cannot be a good mother and a serious crafter as the same time. I'm choosing to hold onto those crafts which are most valuable to my sanity (fiber arts) until they get tossed out of the nest. I intend to be a mean crafting grandma who makes LOTS of homemade stuff for her grandbabies in a rock-awesome crafting area. For now, I prefer to not be stabby and homocidal by investing into a space my children will trash and steal the supplies from. I did just get brave enough and re-arrange my bedroom to create a space for stuff, which is really brave for me.

Seriously though. Her space is gorgeous but her crafts are so blase, imo.

Also, ftr, they make plate hangers. They are quite cheap and QUITE secure. There is NO WAY I would rely upon felt and a hot glue gun to hang porcelain plates on walls, especially above tile floors. My grandmother had decorative plates all over her house my ENTIRE life, long before the internet. I inherited some of those plates, and am actualy waiting for DH to help me hang them. However, my grandmother went old school and actually SECURED her plates. Very cheap, very basic, but secures the plate on the back rim TOP AND BOTTOM so that it will hang on the wall forever, won't damage the plate and no chance of it falling down. I'm stunned that she's espousing felt and hot glue guns to hang plates up.

My response, to myself and out loud, was "OH, FOR FUCK'S SAKE!" It sounds like something Miss Raquel would write, not a grown woman with two children.

The caption above a picture of her and her husband (who is African American):

me & my tall, dark & handsome husband

(heavy on the dark)

(heavier on the handsome)

To the bolded--excusemewhat? :shock: Am I being overly sensitive in thinking that statement is kinda...not cool?

OK, this is just a little thing but it is kind of odd.

That cute little graphic of her and her daughters at the top of the blog? The girls in the picture are distinctly white with little pink cheeks.

Her daughters are actually mixed race and quite dark skinned.

I like the crafts on the blog though :lol:

Well, never mind, I'm sure English punctuation can easily be changed to suit her. :-)

I never understand why people even write this things. It's like saying I don't like having two arms - it's pretty much a given!

I feel compelled to point out that in the online BDSM community submissives do not traditionally use capitals.

Now I have to wonder if there is some black leather hiding under all that pastel.

Edited because I need more coffee to be able to actually spell.

Well, I cried.

That room is sooo full of awesome. People like that usually make me feel inadequate. We're having a good day if our socks match.

But I have noticed that when someone makes that much effort to make a work space look perfect, it's because appearances are inordinately important to them. Substance? Maybe not so much.

Also, it's all about the photography.

Wow. This is one of the most awkward couples' pictures I've ever seen:

3.bp.blogspot.com/-f6SbpuUqHPY/T7hkYrwRqVI/AAAAAAAAAXA/4im_Gnoun34/s1600/me+&+honey.jpg

Surely she could have chosen one where she looked less ... disgusted?

Archived