IGNORED

A Very Duggar Easter

GeoBQn

The latest Parentables article is about how the Duggars celebrate Easter.

Instead of doing the typical egg hunt and candy, we’ve made our own way of celebrating Easter. We call it Resurrection Sunday because we really want the children to know why we’re celebrating Easter. We like to explain to the children that this is a celebration of the resurrection of Christ. Jim Bob and I really wanted the kids to understand the true meaning of Easter, that it isn’t about all the candy and eggs.

Ok, not all about the candy and eggs, no egg hunts or candy . . .

We also love to make cookies and decorate them; they’ll be in the shape of a cross or a heart to symbolize Easter. The older ones help their little siblings with the cookies and crafts and share their Easter memories. I love to listen to them talk about how they used to ice their cookies or do their crafts when they were little. It’s such a sweet way to make memories.

So no candy or eggs, but they do bake cookies and decorate them.

We don’t do candy or Easter baskets for the kids, instead we make individual bags filled with their favorite treats. Not candy, but other goodies that the kids don’t get much any other time of the year. Snacks like beef jerky, canned potato chips and pickles, of course! The Duggars all love pickles. Most of the time in our house, we’ll buy the large containers of cheaper pickles. But at Easter, we splurge on little jars of the more expensive, refrigerated pickles. Each child will get their own jar with their name on it. I put it all together in a pretty treat bag for each of them and decorate them with a cross on the outside.

So they don't do candy or "Easter baskets," but they still provide individual bags of treats. Because baskets and bags are COMPLETELY different. I'm Jewish and have absolutely no connection with Easter, but an Easter "bag" filled with beef jerky, canned potato chips, and pickles sounds . . . off. Like getting raisins and a toothbrush while trick-or-treating on Halloween.

So the bottom line is, substituting egg hunts and Easter baskets of candy with decorating cookies and bags of treats = having an Easter that is totally unique to your family. Got it.

parentables.howstuffworks.com/family-matters/how-duggars-celebrate-easter.html

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pickles! Each child gets a small "expensive"? jar of pickles. As a treat? :lol: To celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ? Mullet said that out loud? Wow! Because eggs and candy is waaaay too confusing to celebrate Easter/Resurrection Sunday/Chocolate Bunny Day? Yeah, cleared that up for me Mullet, cleared it up. :angry-banghead:

LOL. Sugar is sugar, Duggars - cookies in the shape of a cross are not holier than Cadbury Eggs. Goofballs.

Nothing says Christ is Risen like a jar of Claussens. :lol:

You can't tell me that fundie families don't do exactly what the rest of us do...run out and stock up on candy this week while it's 50% off.

other goodies that the kids don’t get much any other time of the year. Snacks like beef jerky, canned potato chips and pickles, of course

Umm, from what is shown on tv it looks like they eat that kind of crap all the time, special treats my ass!

Jesus Christ is risen today

Beeeeef jerrrrrrkkkyy

Our triumphant pickle day

Beeeeef jerrrrrrkkkyy

Who did once upon the cross

Beeeeef jerrrrrrkkkyy

Munch on canned potato chips

Beeeeef jerrrrrrkkkyy

See it's biblical

Nothing says celebrating the joy of resurrection, hope and new life like dried beef.

No Christmas Trees at Christmas, and now no Easter Egg Hunts? There is no reason to suck the joy out of everything. I understand why parents want to keep the focus on Christ, but can't they do that while letting their kids have fun dying Easter Egss and getting a basket of candy?

They could just dye their eggs red. That is what is traditionally done for Greek Easter. The red dye symbolizes the blood of Christ, while the egg symbolizes new life. That seems to be a better way of celebrating the joy of resurrection, than giving your kids a paper bag filled with dried beef and expensive pickles!

The part about them getting "expensive, refrigerated pickles" confused me. Does that mean the kids are each getting a jar of pickles that aren't shelf-stable and have to be eaten in a week?

OK, Duggars, I'm a gonna let you in on a little secret. If you give your kids on Easter Sunday (sorry, Resurrection Day) a bag of treats that they like instead of a basket of treats that they like, you're just giving them an Easter Bag instead of an Easter Basket. My 10 month old son got an Easter Basket with *gasp* no candy in it this year, because he's only 10 months old. It was still an Easter Basket. But you keep telling yourselves it's Totally Different because there's no candy in there! And it's a bag, not a basket! TOTALLY different thing!

I'm Orthodox. We supplied the red eggs for pascha during the years we had chickens. : ) Then there's the fun game you play with them during the Pascha feast after the Liturgy...everyone knocks their eggs together end to end and the person with the egg that lasts the longest uncracked wins. A nun friend of ours has a wooden red egg and she loves to spring it on newcomers. :lol:

Heck, we bring baskets full of gourmet meats, cheeses, pastries, chocolate, champagne, wine and vodka to the Easter services. The priest blesses them after the service and then the partying commences, usually lasting until around 5am. I never really knew the joy of CELEBRATING the Resurrection until we were Orthodox.

My 3 year old granddaughter got a small amount of candy, books and a stuffed animal in her Easter basket. She also hunted for Easter eggs that were filled with quarters, dimes and nickels for her piggy bank. We did this on Saturday. On Sunday, we went to church and focused on the resurrection. She got a small Easter basket at church that had some candy, and a book about the resurrection. She was thrilled, by the way.

Someone should probably tell Famy that the kids aren't allowed eggs and treats. She posted some pic on IG of a bunch of the j'kids "decorating" Josh's house with plastic eggs.

And I know these parentables are never anything new, but really, pickles again? It's like they just take a bunch of buzzwords that the Duggars mention all the time, put them in a bag, and draw out a handful to write an article about. Reality never even enters the picture.

My son was never big on sweets, so his Easter baskets & Christmas stockings always had stuff like snack crackers, pistachio nuts (his favorite), and yes, even beef jerky. I guess I'm more godly than I thought.

And I'm as far from a foodie as you can get, but is there such a thing as "expensive" pickles? I thought pickles were pickles.

Beeeeef jerrrrrrkkkyy

Beeeeef jerrrrrrkkkyy

Beeeeef jerrrrrrkkkyy

Beeeeef jerrrrrrkkkyy

See it's biblical

Totally just sang this out loud. Glad no one else is home. :D

Glad they're keeping it holy. Nothing says "set apart" like an Easter bag full of jerky and pickles. :evil-eye:

Resurrection bags. :lol: Because when you think of the death of Christ, Pringles, beef jerky and pickles are the first things that come to mind.

opQIFXc.jpg

This is the expression on the face of a pickle that ends up in a Duggar family jar.

I wonder if the Mullet goes for the pickle chips rather than the pickle spears, because the pickle spears might be....suggestive.

Beeeeef jerrrrrrkkkyy

Beeeeef jerrrrrrkkkyy

Beeeeef jerrrrrrkkkyy

Beeeeef jerrrrrrkkkyy

See it's biblical

This right here? Is just one reason I've been having so much fun here. Aside from reading about all the crazies. :lol:

Brilliant people around here.

Archived