IGNORED

New-to-you Knitting (or Crocheting) Techniques

Terrasola

Has anyone learned/tried any new knitting or crocheting techniques or stitches lately, or taught any to others? Did they work out well or are they something to share in stuff-I-fucked-up?

Yesterday I taught 2 people in our knitting club at work the SSK. What was great is that I FINALLY learned why it doesn't always work for me and why I don't like it: I sometimes put the left needle in the back when I should put in front when knitting the 2 stitches on the right needle together (after having slipped them onto the right needle). Now I will feel more confident in using this technique, which gives the opposite slant to that of a K2tog.

It is really cool that there seems to be a resurgence of interest in the yarn arts, at least where I am located. It is such a stress reliever, at least for me and I have found that the feeling I get when knitting and crocheting is similar to that of certain types of meditation. Anyone else feel the same?

Has anyone learned/tried any new knitting or crocheting techniques or stitches lately, or taught any to others? Did they work out well or are they something to share in stuff-I-fucked-up?

Yesterday I taught 2 people in our knitting club at work the SSK. What was great is that I FINALLY learned why it doesn't always work for me and why I don't like it: I sometimes put the left needle in the back when I should put in front when knitting the 2 stitches on the right needle together (after having slipped them onto the right needle). Now I will feel more confident in using this technique, which gives the opposite slant to that of a K2tog.

It is really cool that there seems to be a resurgence of interest in the yarn arts, at least where I am located. It is such a stress reliever, at least for me and I have found that the feeling I get when knitting and crocheting is similar to that of certain types of meditation. Anyone else feel the same?

I haven't taught anyone too recently, but I did teach my last physical therapist. Part of my therapy was just sitting having heat and ultrasound and ultrasound thingy on my shoulder and back. It's hard for me to just sit and do nothing so I always had some little crochet project or another with me to work on during that part of my therapy.

She was amazed at how fast I crocheted (I had therapy 2 times a week and almost always brought in a different project each day) and showed particular interest in one thing I was making, so I told her I could teach her to do it. So we scheduled my last session for a Saturday, when she wasn't busy and I took her in yarn and printed off a bunch of easy patterns for her and taught her the basics, which was pretty fun.

I love to crochet and agree it's very relaxing. Knitting is not relaxing for me because I am so rusty at it, but it will get there for me too.

I'm really new to knitting but I've been trying to teach myself the wrap and turn thing because I want to make that spiral scarf that was posted here. It seems awfully tough to go back and pick up the wrap part, but I'm going to keep trying. I bought some really pointy bamboo needles today, so maybe that will work better.

Any of y'all on Ravelry? I LOVE Ravelry. If there's a pattern for it, you'll find it there! lol

I haven't tried any new techniques lately, really. I would like to learn how to do thrummed mittens. I've also never done entrelac, which I'd like to try. My favorite technique is colorwork of any and all kinds. And I hate cables. With a passion. Seriously. I'd rather spend a day Howler-sitting with no J'slaves to help than knit another cable. lol

• 2 weeks later...

I am on Ravelry. It's a great source for patterns and knitting help.

I just started doing the garterlac dishcloth from Ravelry which is entrelac only with all knit stitches. Thanks to online tutorials and pictures, I finally think I got the hang of it after I had to unravel it a couple of times. Have boatloads of variegated cotton yarn that I have to use up and this is a good pattern for that type of yarn.

Whenever I want to try a new stitch or pattern, I start with a dishcloth; that way if it's a disaster or I don't like it, at least it's a small project that I can quit early and I haven't spent a lot of time.

• 2 months later...

Another Ravelry junkie here. I have the supplies to try a shawl I just love on that site, but I have been chasing after other amusements on my new Kindle.

• 4 weeks later...
I am on Ravelry. It's a great source for patterns and knitting help.

I just started doing the garterlac dishcloth from Ravelry which is entrelac only with all knit stitches. Thanks to online tutorials and pictures, I finally think I got the hang of it after I had to unravel it a couple of times. Have boatloads of variegated cotton yarn that I have to use up and this is a good pattern for that type of yarn.

Whenever I want to try a new stitch or pattern, I start with a dishcloth; that way if it's a disaster or I don't like it, at least it's a small project that I can quit early and I haven't spent a lot of time.

Dishcloths are the way to go to try out and practice new stitches. :)

• 11 months later...

I hope it's ok to revive an old thread like this…

I just learned to knit in the past few months.

(finally! I took a class 6 years ago, didn't practice, forgot everything, took another class 3 years ago, didn't practice, forgot everything, then just recently decided this.is.the.time and I want to get past those initial struggles and get to where I can have fun with it and make some useful stuff. yay for persistence!)

Anyway, I'm practicing different stitches by making a scarf that has several square sections about 8" by 8" each, and each section is a different stitch. Kind of like a stitch sampler.

So far I've got garter stitch, stockinette, seed stitch (USA version), 2x2 ribbing, and I'm now working on a square of basketweave stitch. Next I will do a square of linen stitch, and then depending on how I like the length of the scarf so far, I'll either stop there or find one or two more stitches to practice, until it's a good length.

It's for me since it's got plenty of mistakes in it, but it's very satisfying to see the squares have fewer and fewer errors as I make my way along, plus I like feeling familiar with the basics before I move on to more complex projects.

• 4 months later...

I never quite got the feel for knitting, but learned to crochet through youtube. My first thing was a hat, a 13 year old kid had uploaded instructions and went from there. I still get my patterns through youtube lol

Crochet and Ravelry addict for sure. I recently taught myself how to do crochet graphghan work. So far, I've completed a blanket with our family last name and "Est. [year]" on it, and a silhouette dancer for my daughter. I've also crocheted a hat with my son's name on it, and another with my dd's team name on it. My next project is a photo-ghan that has my son and his birth sister on it (adopted into 2 different families.)

As for knitting, I piddle with it all the time, but just can't seem to master it. I've made a few pairs of fingerless gloves. I do continental, and also do my pearl stitches with a behind the needle insert. Yeah, I'm all over the place, lol.

EDITED TO ADD: I taught all of my kids to crochet as well (two girls, two boys).

• 1 month later...

I have crocheted forever (but just started it up again recently)

just learned to knit about a week ago!!! took a class this last weekend too,

I'm already on raverly WAY too much...crazy.

My mom taught me the basics of knitting when I was younger. In the last few years, I've picked it up again. I usually just make things we need...hats, mitts and scarves for us, a baby blanket when I was pregnant with my son, baby blankets for friends who were expecting, that kind of thing. I've been toying with the thought of making stuff to sell, but I just don't think I'll have the time to keep up with orders. It'd be different if I could make what I want and then sell it, rather than take orders for specific items and have a deadline.

• 3 months later...

Maybe for new stitches, but not for the basics. I just inherited my grandmother's knitting needles and a bunch of cotton yarn, so I thought I'd give knitting a try after years of crochet. I had zero luck, until I pulled out some acrylic from my yarn stash, because the cotton had no give to it, making it a giant pain to work with. Maybe I'll use the cotton to crochet some dish cloths in some new stitches. I've been meaning to practice some nice shell stiches. :lol:

• 8 months later...

(hope it's okay to revive an oldish thread)

Knitting in general is new to me. So far I've got the knit stitch, purl, and that's it. I"m going to try to find some in-person classes to go to, since I learned on Youtube.

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/7/2015 at 5:49 PM, FrumperSeamstress said:

(hope it's okay to revive an oldish thread)

Knitting in general is new to me. So far I've got the knit stitch, purl, and that's it. I"m going to try to find some in-person classes to go to, since I learned on Youtube.

Welcome to it, it is so addicting!!!! jump on Ravelry.com, it'll be your new favorite site.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a sock  knitter and I recently discovered the fish lips kiss heel method. I'm a total convert now. I love that there's no picking up stitches with this. The instructions sound very confusing, but once I just did it without thinking too much about each step, it worked out perfectly.

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 11:07 AM, lascuba said:

I'm a sock  knitter and I recently discovered the fish lips kiss heel method. I'm a total convert now. I love that there's no picking up stitches with this. The instructions sound very confusing, but once I just did it without thinking too much about each step, it worked out perfectly.

Fish Lips Kiss Heel method? Never heard of that one...got a link?

I'm usually crocheting away merrily, but I do have some needles too. Not very good at knitting, my tension's all wrong and by the end I end up with these giant loops. One of these days i will get my butt to a class to figure out where i'm going wrong. I feel like once this one thing is sorted then I can make things and not have crazy weird end loops. Haven't been able to google/ravelry/youtube a solution yet, think I need some in-person help.

Good at crochet though, so there's that. I recently got a rigid heddle loom and I have a spinning wheel too. Idk, I like yarn at pretty much all the stages. ;)

Here you go: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/fish-lips-kiss-heel The instructions go into making a cardboard cutout for the foot you're knitting for, which I haven't done since it doesn't seem to make much difference for top-down socks. 

I have the tension problem with crocheting. I just can't get a good grip on the yarn. I also have a hard time keeping track of my stitches when they're not on a needle, so if I lose count or make a mistake, it's all over...I have to start over because I have no idea how to count back to figure out where I went wrong. 

On February 2, 2016 at 9:07 AM, lascuba said:

I am new to sock knitting. One top down pair done. Currently almost done my first toe ups. Two at a time. Just tried the fleegle heel, also no stitches to pick up. 

I am a crocheter and I recently was searching for a way to make the bottom and top edges of my afghan stitch blankets not curl. I came across a Purl stitch for crocheting and lo and behold...no more curling edges.

This is the last blanket I crocheted.56b6df4fc7b5f_MiloBlanket2.thumb.jpg.100

On 2/7/2016 at 9:41 PM, TeaGrannie said:

I am new to sock knitting. One top down pair done. Currently almost done my first toe ups. Two at a time. Just tried the fleegle heel, also no stitches to pick up. 

I really like the fleegle on my toe-ups...I hate picking up stitiches.

I have the fish lips heel pattern, but haven't tried it yet.

• 9 months later...

I am currently working on a pair of slippers for my mil.  it's a more complex fair isle pattern than i've done before.  Which is fine.  but it requires steeking (cutting your finished pieces) then sewing it up.  I'm so scared!  I have the tops finished and started the sole today.  then it's time to cut.....

Using steeks always sounds terrifying. Actually cutting a knitted project would freak me out! :shocked:

• 1 month later...

I took a class on Brioche this past Monday.

I've done it before as part of a project, but wanted to learn to cast on in two colours and get a better handle on the technique.

The class was really helpful and after Christmas, I'm going to start a brioche scarf ('cause you know knitting a whole darn scarf is a good way to learn a new technique).

• 9 months later...

I taught myself to purl backward for my current project. I knit Continental and my current project is the Gaskell shawl that has a shortrow ruffled edge. Flipping the entire piece around for 5 stitches was getting annoying, so I just figured out how to purl backward so I didn't have to bother anymore. 

Before that I learned Amy Ocker's circular cast-on which was quite fun once I got the swing of it. I wish I'd tried to learn on something other than my black DK alpaca yarn at night though!

Archived