IGNORED

What's the preoccupation with the 1828 Webster's Dictionary?

snozzberry

NO KIDDING.

Of course, they don't care to learn American English as spoken by modern American people, and seem to take a certain pride in not understanding it at times, so using these old dictionaries can only help that project I suppose.

See the use of "oriental" and "perverted" at LiaS.

Commenter: This stance on gay marriage is hateful.

Perry: When was my stance on perversion ever hateful?

... the part where you said 'perversion'? But in a later entry, one of the daughters posted a funny rant about something and said "It's gross, it's mean, it's perverted" in a context where that made no sense. It was a lightbulb moment to me - they use that word to mean 'bad' in general!

OT~I'm currently trying to convince my dad to either buy me or chip in with me on getting me a Complete Compact OED for graduating Uni soon. It's costly, but I really really want one. I don't want a stupid school ring or money. I want the damn dictionary lol :geek:

You could get a subscription to the online edition. I mean, I know it's not the same as having the book in your hands (believe me, I'm all about the tactile experience of books), but then at least you wouldn't have to buy a new edition when it's updated. It's $295/year or $995 for the complete set. Not that I'm trying to sell you anything...

I was (still am, actually) a big encyclopedia reader. When I was a kid, I'd frequently be found sitting on the floor surrounded by open volumes of World Book where I'd been looking up cross-references. I'd just pull out a volume looking for nothing in particular and find interesting stuff.

You and me both! One of my clearest early childhood memories are of the page at the beginning of each volume, that showed the presumed development of the letter through various languages.

And anything about animals was read over and over.

I read the dictionary sometimes, too. I was a word nerd from the time I realized what words were. I always said words were some of my favorite childhood toys.

Archived