IGNORED

Same-sex couple files complaint against Gresham bakery

doggie

We have all seen this before of course but at least in Oregon it is against the law. But myself if you see crosses and such all over the place it may not be a good idea to try to get a same sex wedding cake. I mean you need to take a hint here. If the business did what they did they broke the law but you need a bit of common sense too.

http://www.oregonlive.com/gresham/index ... plain.html

The state attorney general’s office is investigating a complaint against a Gresham bakery after a Portland woman said the business refused to make a cake for her wedding to another woman.

Laurel Bowman said her fiancée and her fiancée’s mother went to Sweet Cakes by Melissa, 44 N.E. Division St., for a cake testing on Jan. 17. When the owner discovered the cake was for a same-sex marriage, he called the couple “abominations unto the lord,†according to the consumer complaint filed the next day.

“We were then informed that our money was not equal,†Bowman wrote. “My fiancée was reduced to tears.â€

Bowman said the couple initially chose to have their cake made by Sweet Cakes because they bought a wedding cake for $250 years earlier without incident. But that was for the fiancée’s mom and her husband.

Aaron Klein, who has owned the Gresham bakery with his wife, Melissa, for about five years, said Friday the business sells pastries and cakes to customers of all sexual orientations. But same-sex marriage goes against their Christian faith, he said, and they’ve turned down requests in the past to bake cakes for those occasions.

“I believe marriage is a religious institution between a man and woman as stated in the Bible,†Klein said. “When someone tells me that their definition is something different, I strongly disagree. I don’t think I should be penalized for that.â€

Klein denies calling the couple “abominations†or saying that their money wasn’t equal. He said he told them that his business doesn’t sell cakes for same-sex marriages and that he was sorry for wasting their time.

State law says it is a violation for a business to deny “full and equal accommodations†for customers based on race, religion, gender, sexual orientation and other factors.

Klein said he and his wife make no secret about their beliefs at the bakery, pointing to crosses on the walls of the store and its website that says they “strongly believe that when a man and woman come together to be joined as one, it is truly one of the most special days of their lives.â€

Bowman, her fiancée and their Portland attorney, Paul Thompson, all declined comment Friday.

The attorney general’s office is waiting for Sweet Cakes’ official account of the encounter before taking action. If the agency finds cause, it has the option of filing a discrimination complaint with the state Bureau of Labor and Industries.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it's against the law (which I believe it should be), then it's against the law.

It's no different to me than if they'd denied an interracial couple a cake because they felt it was against their Christian beliefs.

But myself if you see crosses and such all over the place it may not be a good idea to try to get a same sex wedding cake. I mean you need to take a hint here. If the business did what they did they broke the law but you need a bit of common sense too.

Why? Not all Christians are against gay marriage so why should seeing a cross in the store automatically make you think they wouldn't make a cake for a same sex wedding? Use common sense.

If it's against the law (which I believe it should be), then it's against the law.

It's no different to me than if they'd denied an interracial couple a cake because they felt it was against their Christian beliefs.

Of course. but what I am saying is why would you go to a business that is displaying crosses and such that you pretty much know will not approve of you? myself I would not want to go there I would find a friendlier place to go. why give them the business?

Why? Not all Christians are against gay marriage so why should seeing a cross in the store automatically make you think they wouldn't make a cake for a same sex wedding? Use common sense.

In my experience if a business is so openly displaying their faith They are the shove it down your throat no tolerance type.

In my experience if a business is so openly displaying their faith They are the shove it down your throat no tolerance type.

Your experience is not everyone else's experience.

Plus, they could have just not seen the crosses. The only place I check out the decor in is the local Chinese buffet place, because I like Chinese art and figurines. The rest of the stores I go to could have wall-size murals of the Last Supper painted on the door and I'd be oblivious. I assume these women were busy looking at, you know, the cakes.

Damn, valsa got there first! I agree, you can't say that just because a business crosses etc on the walls that they are homophobic. Plus it says in the article that they chose the bakery because relatives had previously had a really nice wedding cake from there.

Edited for clarity.

Guest Anonymous

Your experience is not everyone else's experience.

Plus, they could have just not seen the crosses. The only place I check out the decor in is the local Chinese buffet place, because I like Chinese art and figurines. The rest of the stores I go to could have wall-size murals of the Last Supper painted on the door and I'd be oblivious. I assume these women were busy looking at, you know, the cakes.

If a business doesn't want to be fined then they should obey the law. THAT is the common-sense moral to this story, IMO.

I think if you run a business for the public, you should not be allowed to discriminate, like how it would be wrong to create a store that is for white people only.

How were they supposed to know that the business owners weren't just very devout Episcopalians or United Church of Christ (to name two Christian denominations that celebrate all marriages equally)?

Putting crosses up in your business isn't a clue that you're not going to provide service to all customers, and nor should it be.

I think if you run a business for the public, you should not be allowed to discriminate, like how it would be wrong to create a store that is for white people only.

QFT. If there's a law prohibiting discrimination, they shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose the products they will sell to particular types of people.

And I agree with posters above: I rarely notice the decor, and if there were conspicuous religious symbols in the place, I would not automatically assume they would not sale anyone anyfuckingthing they have on offer.

Edited because "sell" and "sale" are not the same.

Also, the couple stated in the article that they previously purchased a cake from the business with out issue. Granted, it was for a woman to man marriage of a family member.

I'm sick and tired of people who work or own businesses who CHOOSE to discriminate against same sex marriage, women's reproductive health, etc. Pisses me off!

I wonder if the whole Chick-fil-a/affordable care birth control debates have bolstered business-owners like these folks. They've seen people go out of their way to shop at Hobby Lobby or Chick-fil-a. Plenty of free publicity on those coat-tails.

Or maybe they're just .

Consumers should not have to find out in advance if they will be welcome at a particular establishment. They should not have to search the interior of a business for cues that 'their kind' aren't welcome. Discrimination on this level hasn't been acceptable in the US for a long time now. Furthermore, consumers should not have a pass some kind of morality means test in order to do business with company. If owners are not willing to do business in 2013 America, if they're not willing to fully abide by all state and federal anti-discrimination laws, they should close their doors.

The idea that a cross on the wall of a business is a clue that the owner is a bigot is offensive.

Sorry to be thick but what does mean? Posters have been using it a lot lately and I don't get why :S

Violet: It's in reference to a short-lived blog that went up and was subsequently taken down within the last two weeks, that basically was a "Snark on Free Jinger" site.

No cursing was allowed, and any foul language was [redacted]. :D

Once you can see "Chatter," you can check out the thread.

Edited for spelling.

Sorry to be thick but what does mean? Posters have been using it a lot lately and I don't get why :S

Its from the short-lived Free Jinger Digest. They didn't like swearing and replaced 'inappropriate' words with .

I just started working as a travel agent and the way I see, gay marriage becoming legal would be a boon for the travel industry. When a couple gets married what do they do next? They go on a honeymoon. Who helps plan and book honeymoons? Travel Agents. Same logic should be applied for wedding planners, caterers, bakeries, reception hall owners etc.

Violet: It's in reference to a short-lived blog that went up and was subsequently taken down within the last two weeks, that basically was a "Snark on Free Jinger" site.

No cursing was allowed, and any foul language was [redacted]. :D

Once you can see "Chatter," you can check out the thread.

Edited for spelling.

Its from the short-lived Free Jinger Digest. They didn't like swearing and replaced 'inappropriate' words with .

Thank you! :)

Edited because I'm second-guessing my ability to speak English...

Oh and Spash, yeah that's true! Such a shame that these crazy homophobes can't even see that. Funny how such religious folk cry persecution (like the whole insurance paying for contraception thing) yet discriminating against someone because of their sexuality = totally okay. :roll:

I'm in the minority here in that I feel torn about the anti-discrimination laws regulating private businesses. I feel any businesses receiving government money should follow anti-bias laws, but that private businesses should be able to pick their clientele and be denied any government money if they decide to follow discriminatory business. If such a business did discriminate against gays or blacks or buddhists, then it's my right as a consumer to no longer patronize that business and to have the local community shun them. It's a matter of principle for me, that government should have its limits when dealing with private businesses that receive no help from them. The gay couple should leave and make sure everyone know of the poor service they receive. In the catering business, poor of word of mouth will close down a business faster than any state attorney lawsuit.

These idiots don't realize that gay commerce is already going on all around them. What if it was a grocery store? "I'm sorry, mame, but we have received information that those Lil Smokies will be served at a gay wedding. You're going to have to leave." "I'm sorry, sir, but the word around town is you're kind of faggie. We don't tolerate man-love in this bowling alley." Even the fundies I know would think that is ridiculous.

Bakeries seem different, because their service is more personalized, but they're treated exactly the same under the law.

I'm in the minority here in that I feel torn about the anti-discrimination laws regulating private businesses. I feel any businesses receiving government money should follow anti-bias laws, but that private businesses should be able to pick their clientele and be denied any government money if they decide to follow discriminatory business. If such a business did discriminate against gays or blacks or buddhists, then it's my right as a consumer to no longer patronize that business and to have the local community shun them. It's a matter of principle for me, that government should have its limits when dealing with private businesses that receive no help from them. The gay couple should leave and make sure everyone know of the poor service they receive. In the catering business, poor of word of mouth will close down a business faster than any state attorney lawsuit.

But I would argue that it's not true that some private businesses receive "no" help from the government. Every business uses common infrastructure, which was originally paid for/developed/produced by the government.

I guess I can see your point somewhat, but I find it hard to stomach that, for example, a hamburger joint could refuse to serve to women who happen to walk in holding hands. Or if a black person came into their establishment (and the owner happened to be racist). Or pick your exclusion.

Sorry, but anyone who discriminates against same sex couples in business is just as bad as those who discriminate based on race.

And from a business point of view, that's money lost on you.

Archived