IGNORED

Why is CJ Mahaney part of a gospel tour in South Africa?

hoipolloi

Looks like some Christians in South Africa are more discerning than others and certainly more discerning than Al Mohler & company (http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/ ... QLxHx3HViL):

Sex scandal clouds visit by church group

Durban - The head of a US church group that is facing a class-action lawsuit over the alleged widescale cover-up of sexual and physical abuse of children will be in South Africa for a gospel tour in April, sparking debate among locals.

The lawsuit against leaders of Sovereign Grace Ministries (SGM) and its churches was filed in October by three alleged victims of abuse, and was amended last Friday to add five others.

SGM’s president and co-founder, Charles Joseph Mahaney, is named as one of the defendants and is also one of five guest speakers at the Rezolution 2013 “What is the gospel?†conference being held in Durban, Cape Town and Joburg in April. However, Mahaney is speaking only in Cape Town and Johannesburg...

Alan Schuster, of Rezolution, said local organisers of the conference were aware of the lawsuit, which he said SGM was “busy sorting outâ€.

He said the action dated back to incidents that allegedly took place 30 years ago.

“We believe in the premise of innocent until proven guilty. I don’t believe we have anything against Mahaney coming to South Africa,†Schuster said....

The head of The Evangelical Alliance of SA, Reverend Moss Nplha, said the conference organisers should be cautious and instead wait until the outcome of the court case.

“Scripture says we are to flee not only evil, but every appearance of it,†he said. “I would be cautious.â€

Indeed, but I'm wondering if it's not just some intra-fundie turf spat. Some of the people listed there in opposition to Mahaney and Co. aren't any less dubious. Still and all, I'm very glad some people are noticing the lawsuit outside this country and it couldn't happen to a better bunch of men.

Archived