IGNORED

ONLY Homeschooling builds character!

OkToBeTakei

generationcedar.com/main/2013/01/education-why-character-matters-most.html

As usual she spouts of the 'facts' of this based on anecdotal evidence from her friends. Because that always makes people believe you. Right.

So after the one, 'My friend' told me this and he owns a business SO it must be true absolutely everywhere all over the world. She backs it up with the classic my sister said so (wait for the killer line.....wait) MANY OTHERS TOO.

That's it I am totally convinced by this highly intelligent argument. :lol:

The rest is the usual why the Government is evil and the bible and people like this creature who starve and hit their kids all in the name of character are right.

Strangely similar to Anna T's post at the moment. Even her readers have called her out, pointing out that while homeschooling is a valid choice, it doesn't mean that everything about public schools is evil. For so many speshul snowflakes with so many experiences of being persecuted for being different they are certainly completely oblivious to their own participation in the persecution of others.

Maybe the reason her "friend" is having interviews where people "sit there like it doesn’t really matter to them whether they get hired." is because the people he is choosing to interview DON'T particularly want to work for his company. I've had interviews at places that weren't my first or second or even really a choice at all. One of those positions was a Christian owned and apparently operated. After my first interview, I figured it might be okay to work their for a while, it was clean (unlike fast food) and had air conditioning, and the people seemed pleasant if not actually nice. After I arrived for my second interview, I was asked to fill out some paperwork. Nothing like hiring paperwork, no, this was basically a test. On Christian books, none of which I had read. It also asked me to list the last five books I read. Which was, at the time, Harry Potter 1-4. And I, of course, being a smart kid, did not list those and instead racked my brain for Christian Books. All I could think of was The Chronicles of Narnia.

During the interview, I had a hard time talking and the interviewer was treating me like I was the dumbest person to walk on the face of the earth, which did not help my confidence level. I felt super awkward and kind of 'ragamuffin-y'. I'm sure that I did not come off as a shining beacon of my education (both public and private.)

Anyway, I figure that people who have a hard time in interviews are either shy, don't really want the job for whatever reason, or they are ill prepared. Even extroverted people have 'off-days'. It is not indicative of the culture at large if you can't find the perfect person for your open position. We've gone through eight people in four years at my place for an admin position that is actually overpaid. I don't blame the school system.

Maybe the reason her "friend" is having interviews where people "sit there like it doesn’t really matter to them whether they get hired." is because the people he is choosing to interview DON'T particularly want to work for his company. I've had interviews at places that weren't my first or second or even really a choice at all. One of those positions was a Christian owned and apparently operated. After my first interview, I figured it might be okay to work their for a while, it was clean (unlike fast food) and had air conditioning, and the people seemed pleasant if not actually nice. After I arrived for my second interview, I was asked to fill out some paperwork. Nothing like hiring paperwork, no, this was basically a test. On Christian books, none of which I had read. It also asked me to list the last five books I read. Which was, at the time, Harry Potter 1-4. And I, of course, being a smart kid, did not list those and instead racked my brain for Christian Books. All I could think of was The Chronicles of Narnia.

During the interview, I had a hard time talking and the interviewer was treating me like I was the dumbest person to walk on the face of the earth, which did not help my confidence level. I felt super awkward and kind of 'ragamuffin-y'. I'm sure that I did not come off as a shining beacon of my education (both public and private.)

Anyway, I figure that people who have a hard time in interviews are either shy, don't really want the job for whatever reason, or they are ill prepared. Even extroverted people have 'off-days'. It is not indicative of the culture at large if you can't find the perfect person for your open position. We've gone through eight people in four years at my place for an admin position that is actually overpaid. I don't blame the school system.

Great points. If Kelly's friend is having hard time finding worthy candidates via his interviews he might want to take a good look at himself. He may be the problem. People often have very good BS detectors; they can often tell right away that a certain company might not be the right fit just from the interview itself and therefore, not exert themselves that much during the interview.

A few years ago, I interviewed for a copywriting position for a local food company. I was interviewed by two people. The second person I interviewed with put me at ease, seemed really interested in what I could bring to the company, and carefully answered the questions I asked.

However, the first interview was abominable. The interviewer treated me as if I had committed a horrible crime. I felt like a perp being interogated by someone on "Law and Order: SVU." I'm used to tough interviews, and I'm usually well-prepared, but this interview put a really bad taste in my mouth.

Confirmation bias at its best! Funny how anecdotes only count in Kelly's favor. Went to public school and turned out bad? Public school is evil! Went to public school and turned out good? Miraculous exception that somehow proves the rule!

Not to mention that I pretty much ignore any argument that boils down to a rant against "young people nowadays."

Seriously, I really wish people would stop trying to mask their ideological premises with "argument", "observation", and "statistics" that are clearly nothing of the sort.

Hah, bollocks, Kelly.

I'm a graduate. I have a Scottish MA in what is regarded as a very difficult discipline. I have qualifications I got after receiving my graduate degree and I have studied internationally. I'm hoping, one day, to get back to academia.

You know what I get? "Oh well we only take graduates for this job so you'll be OK". That's not anything fancy like deciding budgets or policy issues or running a business or being a journalist. That is being what I have been, a shop assistant, a security guard and someone who does the photocopying. Reason being, those are the only jobs you'll get an interview for. Good luck with the SOTDRT making all your male kids just like Bill Gates. There's...a fair bit of competition.

It's called "a recession caused by late stage capitalism". It's not called MOAR HOMESKOOLIN NEEDED. If you write a sentence like "Yoor will get yous payment's as sune as we gets rond to thet" your character can be as Godly as an extremely Godly thing, and you won't even get to interview.

Think on.

The blog post is as inane as most of her drivel but the comments are hysterical. Especially the comments about how one poor girl had a couple of years of public schooling and it so invaded her being that it made her completely internalize the humanist concept that she could be anything she wanted. So when she went to college she decided to be a drunk floozie.

People have a choice in how to live their lives. You can deal with that by giving kids the tools to make good and healthy choices or you can try skip giving them those tools and convince them they are not allowed to have choices in the first place because it's terrible bad. The whole idea that public education is horrible specifically because it teaches kids that they can be anything they want - is completely lost on me. Maybe it is a cultural difference.

Most collegiate drunk floozies- the ones that I knew anyway- were more or less done with that behavior by senior year of college. All of them had more education of better quality (not to mention more realistic knowledge of how the world works) than any of the SODRT "graduates" we snark on here.

Most of the drunk floozies I knew could manage to be a drunk floozie AND a successful college student. Many--actually, all but one of them is in a good career now.

So, if people don't share her opinions and values then they obviously lack character...?

I know, it is like they don't know what that word means!

ETA okay, it's probably one of those words that the definition changes from person to person, but her definition is way too narrow

Most of the drunk floozies I knew could manage to be a drunk floozie AND a successful college student. Many--actually, all but one of them is in a good career now.

Yeah, most first year uni students (male and female) have a period of drunken flooziness and go on to be productive citizens. It's part of their education.

Archived