IGNORED

Whiner Lady's Rear End.

OkToBeTakei

zachsgang.blogspot.co.uk/

I love having my agenda on the back of my car.....

But it has come at a price! Several weeks ago, someone actually keyed the side of my car in the Target parking lot!

OH NOES!!!

And since I was parked in a wide open spot with the cart return to one side, I have to assume my car was keyed due to my "advertising." Oh well! That just makes me want to add more ;)

Yup. Totally makes absolute sense.

Would YOU want to drive behind me?

Sure. I like to laugh at stupid. Makes my day.

I assume that anyone with multiple political or religious bumper stickers, even if they are all for candidates/causes I espouse, is an asshole. Because it basically means that on several separate occasions they thought to themselves "You know what would be cool? If I could piss off a bunch of strangers as I drive around town every day!"

Also for some reason they all tend to drive for crap.

Every time I see this, whether on a bumper sticker or on FB I just sigh. This goes against the whole idea of "The Great American Melting Pot" ideal I grew up with and try to still believe in. I have a legitimate question for those FJ's living in other countries. "Certain" types of conservatives always seem to be the most vocal in your face people and I wonder if those outside of the U.S. see this as representative of Americans as a whole, or does your average Brit, German, Korean etc recognize that they are are a small shouty segment of the population. I know that every country and culture has their own conservative, paranoid, our way is best brand of crazy but they don't seem to get as much exposure.

Every time I see this, whether on a bumper sticker or on FB I just sigh. This goes against the whole idea of "The Great American Melting Pot" ideal I grew up with and try to still believe in. I have a legitimate question for those FJ's living in other countries. "Certain" types of conservatives always seem to be the most vocal in your face people and I wonder if those outside of the U.S. see this as representative of Americans as a whole, or does your average Brit, German, Korean etc recognize that they are are a small shouty segment of the population. I know that every country and culture has their own conservative, paranoid, our way is best brand of crazy but they don't seem to get as much exposure.

I'm Belgian, currently living in the UK. I would not say I see those Americans as representative of the culture as a whole - I have many American friends and studied in the US for almost two years, so I am well aware of the fact that some people are just assholes and that there's many lovely Americans out there.

My family and friends who do not have a similar amount of exposure to American people, however, are increasingly baffled at how conservative that country seems to be, especially the past ten years or so. Things like the lack of universal healthcare or gay marriage or the huge ongoing abortion debate are very odd to a lot of people I know, including my grandparents (who are by European norms hardly left-wing radicals!). They know, rationally, that most Americans are probably not that conservative, but at the same time, I can see some generalization going on.

I'm Belgian, currently living in the UK. I would not say I see those Americans as representative of the culture as a whole - I have many American friends and studied in the US for almost two years, so I am well aware of the fact that some people are just assholes and that there's many lovely Americans out there.

My family and friends who do not have a similar amount of exposure to American people, however, are increasingly baffled at how conservative that country seems to be, especially the past ten years or so. Things like the lack of universal healthcare or gay marriage or the huge ongoing abortion debate are very odd to a lot of people I know, including my grandparents (who are by European norms hardly left-wing radicals!). They know, rationally, that most Americans are probably not that conservative, but at the same time, I can see some generalization going on.

I am also baffled at how conservative my country seems to be. I think that a lot of that perception comes from the prolific posting they do on FB. For every 1 post my more liberal friends make there are 5 by my conservative ones. I don't want to derail the thread but you also mentioned universal health care. That is the one thing that my SO and friends are ashamed of. I think that fact that we don't have universal health care makes us the laughing stock of the rest of the industrialized world. How can we be taken seriously when we can't/won't provide basic health care for all of our citizens?

edited because my space bar is sticking.

I am also baffled at how conservative my country seems to be. I think that a lot of that perception comes from the prolific posting they do on FB. For every 1 post my more liberal friends make there are 5 by my conservative ones. I don't want to derail the thread but you also mentioned universal health care. That is the one thing that my SO and friends are ashamed of. I think that fact that we don't have universal health care makes us the laughing stock of the rest of the industrialized world. How can we be taken seriously when we can't/won't provide basic health care for all of our citizens?

I think in the case of many Belgians, especially older ones, it's so shocking because they honestly did not realize this was something America didn't have. Same in many ways with gay marriage. These are people who remember being liberated by Americans at the end of WW2. These are people who had relatives who moved to America as late as the 1910s and 1920s. They grew up thinking America was one Cool and Progressive Place. Then they found out these things. It's shocking. You should hear my grandpa go on about it.

What did the bumper sticker say?

One Don't Tread On Me, one NRA sticker, one "I'm the conservative idiot you fear" (well, that was the gist), and one family of republican elephants with "I'm raising my family right". Nice, huh? Oh, and Christian fishy.

One Don't Tread On Me, one NRA sticker, one "I'm the conservative idiot you fear" (well, that was the gist), and one family of republican elephants with "I'm raising my family right". Nice, huh? Oh, and Christian fishy.

I like how even she identifies herself as an idiot. At least she's not ashamed of it. :lol:

But I think another piece is what gets covered in the news. Here in the US we don't hear much about Belgium except for Flemish/French controversies or when nationalists get bent out of shape about Muslims. "Most people in country pleasant, go about their business without bothering others" isn't news.

I agree with all of the above. It's really surprising to me how much better the far right is at utilizing social media ! How does that even make sense ? And the tenacity is amazing. The conservatives ( who in my fb friends tend more towards libertarian/teabagger than religious extremists -so I don't really see any anti-gay /anti-choice messages ) will post the most bizarre and ridiculous nonsense for weeks and weeks and weeks - often with incredibly paranoid and unbelievable statistics/facts attached. Drives me nuts.

What did the bumper sticker say?

She has several: "I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, flag-waving conservative you were warned about", "don't tread on me", "I'm raising my kids right" (with GOP elephants), an NRA sticker, and a Jesus fish.

I'm not big on bumper stickers. Not big on those stick figure families or "baby on board" things either. That said, I do have one of those chrome things of my alma mater's logo, so I guess I can't say too much.

No matter how strongly I feel about issues, I can't imagine having a political bumper sticker - too many assholes with road rage.

I'm another person baffled by how conservative the US is. It makes me nervous and embarrassed. I also agree that the right is good at getting tons of social media posts - the right wing people I know on facebook post all the time. I have several people blocked from appearing on my newsfeed (grew up in a conservative area, went to college with a lot of conservatives, have a conservative family). That said, I think those of us on the left make it seem even louder by reposting them to comment on things (it's hard not to post a ridiculous article and say "really?!?!")

Oh, and Christian fishy.

Kind of off-topic, but this reminded me of a great bumper sticker I saw the other day. It was one of the Darwin fish, and below it it said, "We have the fossils. We win."

She has several: "I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, flag-waving conservative you were warned about", "don't tread on me", "I'm raising my kids right" (with GOP elephants), an NRA sticker, and a Jesus fish.

I'm not big on bumper stickers. Not big on those stick figure families or "baby on board" things either. That said, I do have one of those chrome things of my alma mater's logo, so I guess I can't say too much.

No matter how strongly I feel about issues, I can't imagine having a political bumper sticker - too many assholes with road rage.

I'm another person baffled by how conservative the US is. It makes me nervous and embarrassed. I also agree that the right is good at getting tons of social media posts - the right wing people I know on facebook post all the time. I have several people blocked from appearing on my newsfeed (grew up in a conservative area, went to college with a lot of conservatives, have a conservative family). That said, I think those of us on the left make it seem even louder by reposting them to comment on things (it's hard not to post a ridiculous article and say "really?!?!")

I hate "baby on board"! It's so smug. If you're so worried about the precious new life in your car, maybe you should drive better and not take it upon yourself to admonish the rest of the world for their obviously inadequately baby-loving driving?

That said, if her car really was keyed, that's rude. People should be allowed to tacky up their car without fear that their property will be vandalized. OTOH, people sometimes have different definitions of "keying": once an acquaintance claimed her car had been keyed but when I saw it it turned out to be a little inch-long scratch. :roll:

I hate "baby on board"! It's so smug. If you're so worried about the precious new life in your car, maybe you should drive better and not take it upon yourself to admonish the rest of the world for their obviously inadequately baby-loving driving?

I thought the ostensible purpose was not to tell people to be careful drivers but to alert rescue workers, in the event of a crash, to any missing little passengers who might be in their carseats somewhere away from the vehicle.

I thought the ostensible purpose was not to tell people to be careful drivers but to alert rescue workers, in the event of a crash, to any missing little passengers who might be in their carseats somewhere away from the vehicle.

Snopes covered the origin of baby on board: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/babysign.asp

anyway, even if that had been the origin, I've never heard of someone taking off the sign when there isn't a baby in the car.

I think part of my frustration with Baby on Board is that I've been cut off by so many of them. There seems to be a disproportionate number of idiots who wait to merge until the last minute or who try and cut in front of a line who have Baby on Board signs.

Snopes.com says there's a story that the stickers were created after a baby died of exposure because it wasn't found in a crash, but the story is labeled as false. Some people could be buying it because they heard the urban legend, but Toys'R'Us markets it as a way to make other drivers safer http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=3505891 . The former would be less annoying than the latter.

ETA: Sorry, Megan cross-posted with me, didn't mean to repeat or gang up or anything.

I have to fight that urge daily! I refuse to add fuel to the fire and besides, the circular reasoning they use gives me a migraine.

WOOHOO!

Ha ha.....someone called me "paranoid." I like to think I'm "prepared." Not sure what part of my bumper stickers make me paranoid......since when is speaking out for your beliefs a crime? This IS still America after all :) Oh yeah, but I almost forgot....only the liberals get to have their voices heard ;) The rest of us are just crazy!!

At least she has insight :lol:

Oh my, I suspect Whiner lady plays to the crowd. She really should get back to talking about her square footage. Somebody send her the link to that Survivalist Community.

Archived