IGNORED

At Hobby Lobby Gothard approved child discipline implements

SamuraiKatz

These go fast at the Fayetteville Hobby Lobby. Had no idea you could even buy a paddle like this anymore. Conveniently located in the decorative painting dept....

Those are probably bought by sorority members, especially in a college town like Fayetteville. It's a traditional gift for them to buy one and decorate it with their organization's letters (hence it's placement in the decorative paint department), then give it to their Little Sister as a gift. Obviously, that doesn't stop anybody from buying it and using it as a paddle, but it's likely on sale for a non-heinous reason.

Thanks for giving me a plausible reason for those being there. University is in session....Will have to remember to check again next summer.

Those are probably bought by sorority members, especially in a college town like Fayetteville. It's a traditional gift for them to buy one and decorate it with their organization's letters (hence it's placement in the decorative paint department), then give it to their Little Sister as a gift. Obviously, that doesn't stop anybody from buying it and using it as a paddle, but it's likely on sale for a non-heinous reason.

Thiiiiis. I live in a university town and the one of the main bookstores has a department set up for you to order these things.

I have to ask though, never having been in a sorority - what IS the origin of those paddles? Did people used to use them for real? The ones I see by me usually are painted out the wazoo with various three-dimensional wooden letters attached and whatnot, they wouldn't be useful for actual paddling.

Yep, those are sorority paddles. Michael's has them too. As far as the origin though, they were used in hazing rituals and stuff like that. But most Greek organizations have really strict no-hazing policies, so now they're just a remnant from that past. Bigs decorate them for their Littles. Usually you get yours at your initiation.

Guest Anonymous

Hobby Lobby is owned by a couple who contribute to "traditional family" causes and condemn homosexuality. That there made me vow never to give them a penny.

Those paddles aren't meant to actually hit people. Also they're used in a lot of crafts.

My grandma had a paddle hanging in her kitchen. It was a paint stick with a padded pink heart and a cute poem. It was a love paddle and we kids always asked for it because it was cute and funny and fluffy and lacy.

Aren't those paddles actually cricket bats? They figured prominently in a L&O: SVU episode about sociopathic frat boys.

This is a good example a lot of them are serious works of art. I love making paddles!!!

IMG_1075.jpg

Are you a Sigma Kappa?! If so, so am I. :D I'm from the Alpha Gamma chapter at Washington State University. Where are you from?

These go fast at the Fayetteville Hobby Lobby. Had no idea you could even buy a paddle like this anymore. Conveniently located in the decorative painting dept....

When I was a little sprog (not THAT long ago, the eighties) our daycare lady had her husband cut paddles that didn't look much different from that out for all of our parents, and painted our names onto them, and that's what she gave our families for Christmas that year. Not to be cute, to hit us with. Ours was broken over my sister's ass a few moths later.

And this was in a relatively enlightened spot, and nobody involved was particularly religious, let alone a fundie.

So maybe I'm biased, but I don't doubt for a minute that many of those "decorative" paddles get used.

I was just in Hobby Lobby on Friday, and saw those, sorority gifts were what immediately came to mind. Never even occurred to me it might be used for that.

When I was little my grandma had a thin wood paddle. It was similar in size to a ping pong paddle, but shaped more decoratively. On one side was a bunch of stuffing covered with fabric and lace. On the blank side was painted "mommy's paddle" and on the padded side was "grandma's paddle". No one ever actually used it, so it was funny.

My mother never laid a hand on me. My grandmother (who did a little of my raising) also never did. My father spanked me three times in my life. I remember every one. I don't remember at all what it is I did. It hurt like hell. My father also has severe anger issues and was raised with corporal punishment, not just from his parents, but teachers too. But he wouldn't have bought a paddle for it, he used his hands. Once he used a belt.

I have just realised, after seventeen years, that I was given a paddle at a bridal shower held by my parent's (and mine at the time) church. But the lady who gave it to me was a lovely, gentle grandmother. I use it to serve garlic bread. I am sure she would approve.

Yes, they are used in craft projects.

Guest Anonymous

It seems really weird to me, that something traditionally used by people in power to punish and cause pain to weaker people should still be seen as a 'cutesy' craft item.

It reminds me of that compulsive-smiling woman on one of the Amish Documentaries who drew a smiley face on the wooden spoon that she used to beat her children.

One of my sorority sisters is a professional dominatrix, according to her sorority/fraternity paddles are pretty terrible for actual paddling.

Archived