IGNORED

Am I the only one? - Appreciating Fundies

LadyBBR

I am just wondering if I am the only one here who kinda appreciates some of the fundie blogs we watch. :o I have learned all kinds of things about cooking, better housekeeping, and sometimes even parenting. I really only go to the blogs of the people I have a fondness of - Resolved to Worship, A Rather Unusual Maiden, Lockwood family in Mexico, Tomato Soupcake, Halle the Homemaker. I still visit Meredith's blogs to get a few recipes. I feel like even though I might not agree with a lot of their theology, as a (liberal, feminist) Christian I admire their optimism, spirituality, pursuit of better housekeeping skills and organization. I am sickened by those who bash and judge others (Zhu Zhu, Generation Cedar, Stacey McDonald) though I did like Zhu Zhu's menu planning idea that I found when I was bored the other day and went over there. Maybe just like many of them feel sorry for us lost souls, I feel sorry for their legalistic bondage.

I've gotten some kick ass recipes and housekeeping tips from them. I don't think I'd take parenting or homeschooling advice from a fundie, but they can clean a toilet like no other.

I don't read a whole lot of fundie blogs. I would get totally sucked in, and I just don't have time for that. However, my favorite bread recipe that I make for Thanksgiving and potlucks came from a fundie blog.

I have found some great recipes and learned some money saving tips and a few health tips, of course with the health tips I do some more research and use common sense. (IE - I'm not throwing out my microwave despite Jessica and ZsuZsu's claims, however I have been using honey more after reading about it's benefits on a few fundie blogs.)

I also have gotten interested in sewing a little more after reading about some projects on a few blogs.

I haven't learned anything from fundie blogs. Honestly, when they offer parenting advice I would do the opposite. For things like cleaning and cooking, it's really not rocket science and stuff that you can figure out on your own or with a quick google search.

I don't visit them unless it's someone who is really bringing the evil or crazy, like Emma who adopted the children from Haiti. I am grateful for those FJers who do, though, because that's how I get most of my information on fundie blogs. :D

Meredith's blog lead me to the best cheesecake recipe I have ever had. Otherwise, I like reading fundie blogs to get an opposite view from my own, which I think it is good to have.

I love Linds @ Passionate Homemaking and she's got a recipe for just about anything you need. Since I'm not a parent, I've never checked out her disciplining advice (don't know how much she has or what she uses) but the girl is one smart cookie when it comes to saving money at home.

Yes, that's the other big thing I learn - saving money and living on a budget. Hey, if they can feed a gazillion people on barely anything, I should be thankful for my $800/month food budget instead of whining, right? Of course, I sometime wonder if the kids are living on meger rations.

I don't believe I've learned anything from any of them other than a further understanding of my own values and where they come from.

Archived