IGNORED

Emma's wacky diet blog

oscar

So, I've spent some time on Emma's diet blog, phase4life.blogspot.com/ and guess what? It's wacky!

Evidently, Emma has had her family diagnosed with a large number of food allergies and intolerances via ALCAT testing at Meridian Valley Labs. Meridian Valley seems to promote nonstandard ideas about allergies and hormone replacement, and ALCAT is characterized as an "unproven method" for diagnosing allergies. Studies in the peer-reviewed literature indicate that this test lacks clinical efficacy and should not be used to guide therapeutic decisions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antigen_le ... ibody_test

Just to be perfectly clear, I believe that food allergies are real and potentially serious, and that some people have allergies and intolerances that are nonstandard or manifest with atypical symptoms. I have a life-threatening food allergy, and once had to be rushed to the hospital after being lied to by someone who believed allergies were something people faked to get attention. So I certainly don't think that people with food allergies are attention-seekers or faking it!

Perhaps Emma and her family have severe food allergies. But given Emma's emotional issues surrounding food, the medically questionable nature of their allergy testing, her admissions of doctor-shopping, and the fact that she believes prayer can cure food allergies, it seems she is using dietary restrictions as a means to exert control over her children and family. Most of her recipes look tasty and not like slop, and I don't think she's depriving her kids like Emily seemed to, but she does not seem to be encouraging a healthy relationship with food.

My husband was not well for over 2 years with Chronic Fatigue Disorder and depression. However, through prayer the Holy Spirit lead me to a cause of my husband's declining health. I figured out after watching a program called "Mystery Diagnosis" that he probably had a mold/fungus problem. After researching I found the FUNGUS LINK . You can read about our findings to optimum health at my blog page Phase4Life.

phase4life.blogspot.com/2009/09/false-negavtive-celiac-test.html

If you suspect you have Celiac never give up on trying new doctors or being retested over the years. My son is allergic to ALL grains, including rice. He is ony 3 I got him tested for Celiac and came back negative. I will keep him on a wheat/grain free diet so that hopefully doesn't develop Celiac. I've also read if you have a biopsy done and they test a undamaged spot your test will come back false negative.

http://phase4life.blogspot.com/2011/02/ ... pdate.html

I use to have severe reactions from wheat and dairy, but after a prayer group prayed for me I was finally able to eat it again with out severe reactions, but after about 6 months I could feel that I was over doing it.

I know this is far less exciting than other aspects of Emma drama, but I just wanted to mention it in case she locks down the food blog too. (atifamily.com goes straight to the wordpress login page now. I take this as a good sign.)

False negatives to Celiac testing is very common. I was lucky I manifested the skin symptoms which are easier to biopsy.

However, if she took her son off all grains, then duh, he's going to have a false positive because the blood test tests for the presence of a reaction.

This all fits into her narcissistic personality.

Why do I think that Emma's family is going to have every anti-establishment disease that ever comes the pike? People who follow highly restrictive diets without sound diagnosis tend to have control issues. Sound familiar, Emma?

She is a whackadoodle of the highest order. I think we should take up a collection for the future therapy costs her children will incur.

Being active in the autism community has given me an insight into all the quackery surrounding many so called food intolerances.

First off, I will say that some food intolerances do exist.

Food allergies do exist.

An allergy and an intolerance is not the same thing.

I am completely confused how her son has tested for all these allergies when he hasn't had proper allergy testing done. Many of the home kits and the mail order kits are very shady to say the least. Proper intolerances and allergies need to be tested, physically, by a doctor and not by a urine/skin prick test which is then sent off to a 'lab'.

But then again, it is ALL about Emma and her attention seeking narcissism. So she isn't going to go to a reputable paediatrician to have her son diagnosed is she?

But hey, if she wants to make more work for herself (oh she is SUCH a martyr) by grinding her own spelt grain and knitting her own muesli knickers, knock yourself out bitch.

How many blogs does this woman have? 7 or 8 ?? No wonder she didn't have any time to love her adopted children, they probably interfered with her blogging time!

"But hey, if she wants to make more work for herself (oh she is SUCH a martyr) by grinding her own spelt grain and knitting her own muesli knickers, knock yourself out bitch."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

While I'd never think of Emma as funny, the knickers comment made me laugh harder that I have in a long time.... well done!

I would say the majority of people don't fake food allergies, but as the others said above, given Emma's track record, it is entirely probable that at least half, if not more, of these "allergies" are simply delusional on her part. :-P I had a fundie friend who a few years ago was terribly desperate to get married (at about 19), though she has been slowly moving out of fundie-dom... anyhow, we met this guy that summer who had a wheat allergy. It was pretty extreme, he had been hospitalized several times before for eating food with wheat in it, so his diet is strictly no wheat. Anyhow, about a week or so after he left (he lived in another state), my friend developed a sudden wheat allergy! She changed her whole diet, everything she ate.... That lasted about 6 months or so. :-P

Interestingly, during that time period, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs came out in theaters, and me and my BIL totally cracked up at one of the lines...

"You really thought having allergies would make you more attractive?"

Why do I think that Emma's family is going to have every anti-establishment disease that ever comes the pike? People who follow highly restrictive diets without sound diagnosis tend to have control issues. Sound familiar, Emma?

I'm waiting for her to get Morgellons. :banana-explosion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morgellons

(And word up to luckylibrarian for posting this at the same time I did.)

Yeah, anytime I have medical needs I go straight to prayer and "Mystery Diagnosis" too.

Toss in a little anointing oil? Problem solved!

phase4life.blogspot.com/2009/03/progress-report.html

I gave up on Doctors years ago as a matter of fact when I do go to my family Doctor the first thing she asks me is, What's your diagnosis? Thankfully she allows me to practice my natural medicine under her watchful eye.

She seems to believe that her highs and lows in energy, mood and activity level are symptoms of mycotoxin poisoning, and this seems to be the primary motivator for undertaking rounds of restrictive "phase dieting." I wonder if it is not the foods consumed but the control ritual that causes her to feel more steady while on the phase diet.

She also made extensive changes to her house and property because she believed there was a toxic mold problem.

phase4life.blogspot.com/2009/04/environmental-mold-may-be-causing-your.html

I chose to post this because some people are unware of how toxic mold is to your health. My husband used a bathroom in our home for 2 years that was infested with mold. It was the last room in the house to be remodeled and it was "his bathroom" I wouldn't go into it because I thought it was gross. After he was sick for two years I was reading up on mold symptoms and realized he had almost everyone! After learning about the mold connection he ripped up the carpet and found mold all under the carpet that was into the sub floor. If you walked into that bathroom today you would hit dirt and only see studs! The condition of the bathroom was from previous home owners. We now have done everything in our power to make our property safe from harmful molds. We've even begun to cut down all the trees around the house to dry out our property. And as you know, we've started a FUNGUS FREE life diet plan. The results have been miraculous! PLease note the video is for an advertisment for a company that I'm not endorsing. As a matter of fact I know nothing about their services.

A house desecrated by mildew, mold, or fungus would be a defiled place to live in, so drastic measures had to be taken. Leviticus 14:45 Is Fungus the Missing Link to health?

Being active in the autism community has given me an insight into all the quackery surrounding many so called food intolerances.

Oh my gosh, yes! I've had people look at me appalled that I'm not trying every new Autism diet under the son. But eating isn't my kids problem. His Autism symptoms aren't caused by leaky guy, or anything else. It's a difference in his brain. And all the diets in the world aren't going to cure him. If it works for someone else's kid, more power to them. But that's not my kid, and my focus is on giving him the skills he needs to navigate the world he lives in, plus the knowledge that he is loved and accepted just the way he is, for who he is, with Autism.

But there are people out there whose kids are totally healthy and they're still looking for all the crazy allergies and such. Why? I don't get it.

Grrrr, I'm vulnerable to this particular brand of faulty thinking.

I sympathize with younger women who are attracted to dietary trends, but I think for most of us it's the pursuit of purity. Maybe this drives a bit of anti-vax sentiment, too?

For more on this subject, I recommend Jonathan Haidt's TED Talk on the moral roots of liberals and conservatives. He discusses the core value of purity in terms of sex AND FOOD.

False negatives to Celiac testing is very common. I was lucky I manifested the skin symptoms which are easier to biopsy.

I had a postive biopsy, I just had my blood work done Saturday for Celiacs.

So hey the prayer circle worked for Icky Emma....maybe if the bitches around here would pray for us, we could eat some gluten for 6 months!

Why does she need so many damn blogs? One for each of her personalities? Is even one of her personalities sane?

Compared to this whack job Emily and Zoozoo seem almost sane.

:roll:

I have a friend like this, who always has a different illness to tell me about. She searches the internet for diseases she might have. I think she's one of the healthiest people I know, but a visit to a mental health practitioner might not go amiss, you know? She told me a few weeks ago she thinks she's allergic to rice. Is anyone really allergic to rice? I thought it was "safe" for pretty much everyone.

And...I have 8 blogs. :oops:

I have a friend like this, who always has a different illness to tell me about. She searches the internet for diseases she might have. I think she's one of the healthiest people I know, but a visit to a mental health practitioner might not go amiss, you know? She told me a few weeks ago she thinks she's allergic to rice. Is anyone really allergic to rice? I thought it was "safe" for pretty much everyone.

My late mother was very allergic to white rice as her sister still is. There is nothing on this planet that someone, somewhere isn't allergic to. My oldest sister while in Germany became allergic to the water. She couldn't drink it, bathe in it or even cook with it without having breathing problems and hives inside and out. It wasn't the water but something in the water and she had to take pills everyday just to stay alive. So yes, someone can be allergic to the oddest/dumbest things.

And you aren't batshit crazy abusing kids.

Where does she get so much Diflucan? Don't you get prescribed just a single pill for a yeast infection? She had at least 6 doses at home, apparently.

Oh my gosh, yes! I've had people look at me appalled that I'm not trying every new Autism diet under the son. But eating isn't my kids problem. His Autism symptoms aren't caused by leaky guy, or anything else. It's a difference in his brain. And all the diets in the world aren't going to cure him. If it works for someone else's kid, more power to them. But that's not my kid, and my focus is on giving him the skills he needs to navigate the world he lives in, plus the knowledge that he is loved and accepted just the way he is, for who he is, with Autism.

But there are people out there whose kids are totally healthy and they're still looking for all the crazy allergies and such. Why? I don't get it.

Yep, had the same thing. Now there is a connection with chronic constipation and diarrhoea and autism but it is nothing to do with allergies and intolerances. Hypotonia (low muscle tone) is very, very common in autism. It doesn't just involve the muscles of the legs and arms where you would typically be able to see the results. It involves all the muscles including the muscles of the bowel. Low muscle tone in the bowel causes chronic constipation and paradoxically diarrhoea as the liquid poo squeezes pass the impaction of hard poo and then causes diarrhoea. Impaction can also cause inflammation of the small and large bowel walls and inflammation causes pain and bleeding. Now obviously if you can deal with the chronic constipation your child is going to feel a whole lot better. So it's not wonder that autistic symptoms improve if you deal with the constipation. You know yourself if you are seriously bunged up you are miserable.

Personally I am thrilled at the knowledge of nutrition and other alternative health topics that has come from the autism community, especially considering much of it was driven by parents desperate for help for their children.

Emma's stuff is pretty mainstream for the alternative health bunch. Mold problems can cause all kinds of symptoms, as can food "allergies" (I agree, there needs to be a different word used; at the same time, the issue needs to be taken seriously). However, reading through the blog, I thought there were all sorts of other reasons why her husband might be suffering from depression and lost the will to live. Namely her. And why continue to have babies when her husband had such serious medical issues?

I absolutely HATE it when people think you can treat or cure mental disorders by changing your diet. It's especially irritating when distant acquaintances deign to recommend these "treatments" to me, even though I've had great success with traditional CBT.

Also, it really sounds like Emma has hypochondria or Munchhausen syndrome. Mystery Diagnosis is an interesting show, but when you start to think that you have every obscure disease, you need to just turn off the tv.

i'm starting to smell munchausen by proxy, kids.

eta: shoulda read page two...i see you all are already on it!

I absolutely HATE it when people think you can treat or cure mental disorders by changing your diet. It's especially irritating when distant acquaintances deign to recommend these "treatments" to me, even though I've had great success with traditional CBT.

I'll admit that personal experience has made me sensitive to this, too. I've had friends, acquaintances and even strangers recommend all kinds of MS diet "cures" based on the flimsiest anecdotal evidence. Then they often get so hurt when I don't take their advice because it couldn't harm me and could possibly help - am I really committed to improving my life if I don't try everything?! But if I followed everyone's advice, I wouldn't be able to eat anything! I think this stems from a kind of magical thinking, where if THEY were diagnosed with MY condition, they'd be better off than I am because THEY'D know to pursue the special diet cure, or whatever. Seeing this obnoxious behavior as motivated by a fear of being vulnerable makes it easier to tolerate.

Anyway. I'm not sure if I'd suspect Munchausen's by proxy, because I think Emma's dietary restriction is motivated by her excessive desire for control rather than a desire for attention. When she starts experiencing manic highs and lows, she can turn to a suite of diet rituals to steady herself. Focusing on food can make life seem so much more manageable, since one's diet is an activity of narrow scope and predictable effect. As Wendy indicates upthread, diet can be a way to "cleanse" oneself.

It also lets her extend control over the rest of her family even when she's not around. If her kids go someplace without her, they have to adhere to this whole list of things they can and cannot eat.

Her last post on atifamily.com before it was locked described a special trip to the beach with her youngest daughter.

Building relationships is one of our number one priorities in our home. In order to allow each of my children to build beautiful memories of their childhood I developed “Kid DAYS! “

Yesterday we had a special day at the beach just me and my youngest gal. We sat and watched the waves and ate fresh baked goods for lunch. She was excited about her Gluten Free Muffin because she normally doesn’t eat items that contain egg, but today was an exception. Boy, did she enjoy it!

I find it telling that Emma writes of "allowing" her children to build beautiful memories of their childhood via a system she "developed." And while having a special meal or snack sounds like a great idea for a fun day out, that sad little muffin in her pictures did not look like much of a treat. I mean, she's set the bar really low for herself when it comes to "spoiling" her kids.

Archived