IGNORED

Betty Bowers explains abortion

Black Aliss

If you're anti-choice, skip this.

In this episode of Bible Study with Betty Bowers, she explains God's position on abortion

If you're anti-choice, skip this.

In this episode of Bible Study with Betty Bowers, she explains God's position on abortion

Not to threadjack, but I am always curious what pro-lifers think about all the infanticide and abortion in the Bible. I can guess a few responses, but none of them really make sense.

Not to threadjack, but I am always curious what pro-lifers think about all the infanticide and abortion in the Bible. I can guess a few responses, but none of them really make sense.

Not exactly related to abortion but I was discussing religion with one of my nursing instructors and pointed out (as an example of some of the horrible things in the Bible that led me to become an atheist) the killing of innocent children. Her response was that they were the children of the enemy tribes so God, being all-seeing and all-knowing, knew that they would grow up to become like the adults of their tribe. So, basically, even though they were innocent children at the moment, it was okay for God to order them to be slaughtered because he knew they'd grow up to be evil if they weren't killed. Ice cold.

Not exactly related to abortion but I was discussing religion with one of my nursing instructors and pointed out (as an example of some of the horrible things in the Bible that led me to become an atheist) the killing of innocent children. Her response was that they were the children of the enemy tribes so God, being all-seeing and all-knowing, knew that they would grow up to become like the adults of their tribe. So, basically, even though they were innocent children at the moment, it was okay for God to order them to be slaughtered because he knew they'd grow up to be evil if they weren't killed. Ice cold.

I have heard the enemy tribe thing. My immediate argument is that this must mean it is okay for non-Jews to have abortions. ie, your goy kids clearly are not worth jackshit to God. Does not sound Godly, does it? Even if Christians consider themselves the new Chosen People, they still should rejoice in nonbelievers having abortions.

Another one I heard is that God magically changed between the OT and the NT. The Eternal, Unchanging Word just *changed*. And we are not talking about going through a pizza phase and then deciding you are sick of Italian and want tacos... we are talking about whether it is okay to kill what pro-lifers consider babies. That is not something God would change... and if it is, then it is just not that important.

Man, that God's not very loving, is He?? It seems quiet contrary to the old "I was a horrid Sinner before I met Jesus, but I'm Born Again! I got a second chance so I can't be blamed for anything I did yesterday!!!" Which is not to say that religious conviction in and of itself is horrid, rather that this shows a dichotomy in the belief system that is interesting.

Ask them what they think when God commanded genocide in the Old Testament. They'll be all like, "What are you talking about?"

I have heard the enemy tribe thing. My immediate argument is that this must mean it is okay for non-Jews to have abortions. ie, your goy kids clearly are not worth jackshit to God. Does not sound Godly, does it? Even if Christians consider themselves the new Chosen People, they still should rejoice in nonbelievers having abortions.

Another one I heard is that God magically changed between the OT and the NT. The Eternal, Unchanging Word just *changed*. And we are not talking about going through a pizza phase and then deciding you are sick of Italian and want tacos... we are talking about whether it is okay to kill what pro-lifers consider babies. That is not something God would change... and if it is, then it is just not that important.

So really God isn't so all knowing then? Apparently along that line of thought he even second guesses himself and comes to new conclusions! So who's to say that God hasn't changed his positions again in the past few millenia. And then...if he's so damn fickle why should we be listening to him to begin with?

Well. So much for the idea of free will.

Christians make their god out to be such a complete dick.

And it's only non-believers who ever have abortions, so walla! The abortion problem has been solved for them and they can stop bugging all of us now.

This is the problem with people taking texts which were written within very specific historical contexts by fallible humans interpreting things in light of their own cultural norms and trying to take them literally and apply them without analyzing or interpreting. :roll:

Even if Christians consider themselves the new Chosen People, they still should rejoice in nonbelievers having abortions.

Especially since those babies will go right to heaven without the risk of being raised by non-Christians and given bad ideas that'll send them to Hell. (And without even being beaten!) Abortions for everyone!

Archived