IGNORED

It's The End Of The World As We Know It!

Guest Bekah

Guest Anonymous

paratusfamilia.blogspot.com , formerly livintheoffgriddream.blogspot.com

I don't know if anybody reads this hypervigilant fundie blog, but it's kind of terrifying. I was directed to her old blog by Zombie Apocolypse Preparation on FB, where even he qualified her as "some crazy homesteader lady out in Utah". (You know if a guy who runs a Zombie Preparedness page calls someone crazy, they've got a bad case.)

I've been browsing her page for about 5 minutes and have found 2 things so far:

1) her kitchen is filthy. Check out the fried apple pie post on her new blog: Okay, preserved apples that are old enough to have at least half an inch of dust on the lids are bad enough, but check out the mixer base in the background - d.i.r.t.y. Her poor neighbours actually ATE that food she made :puke-huge:

2) she's ready to kill anybody who comes to her house and won't barter for nothing (specifically, fencing work for soup). livintheoffgriddream.blogspot.com/2010/05/not-your-1930s-depression.html

"This isn't the 1930's. People aren't going to ask. They are going to form gangs and they are going to take what they want by force. Are you prepared to let them? Men, are you prepared to watch your wives and daughters be raped and killed? Women, are you prepared to watch your husband be slaughtered while you cower behind the door jamb? Are you prepared to go the long way around a roadblock set up by bandits so the next hapless folks that stumble into the ambush are killed, just so you don't get your hands "dirty" by taking care of the business at hand? I, for one, am not. I will not see my daughters raped, my husband slaughtered or my sons used for target practice. I, for one, will defend what God has blessed me with. This is not the 1930's. We WILL have to stand up and defend our food, our children, our very lives."

The absolute scariest part, though, is the fact that she seems to be constantly vigilant for any sign of impending disaster so as to put her "skills" to use. See paratusfamilia.blogspot.com/2011/07/teotwawki-fatigue.html: "Being a preparedness nut is something akin to always being on red alert. Whenever I go to town, I am always thinking of alternative routes home. If we plan a trip, we make sure we have plenty of food and water and other necessities so that we can hoof it home should we have to. I rarely take the freeway in the city (there is no way to get off, you know!), instead favoring back roads and side streets. I take tow straps, tie downs and jumper cables everywhere I go. My medical kit goes with me, no matter what, and my concealed holster, well, I never leave home without it. I am that girl. Always prepared, no matter what."

I understand wanting to be prepared, but this Fundie has come completely (and, if you ask me, dangerously) unhinged.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ack.

I'd be fatigued too. Can't even drive to town without the fear that the world will end while you're on the road? Yikes. I get fatigued just reading that blog.

If TEOTWAWKI happens, we'll figure something out. Well, as long as Jesus doesn't return, 'cause that's a whole different ball game. But normal TEOTWAWKI has happened pretty regularly throughout history, and humans adapt.

As far as the kitchen, though, eh, not that bad. Stored jars get dusty. You wipe them off before opening. And some crud on the mixer base means nothing except it didn't get wiped down that day. Seeing as the top part where the food goes is detachable, it's entirely possible that the important part is perfectly sanitary.

Guest Anonymous

That IS really interesting. She had a post from September 2010 that was basically a "want ad" for a husband for their eldest daughter 'lady elizabeth', with a list of attributes and stuff. Guess they got tired of waiting :P

now I have to go read that want ad.

That is one family that I would be absolutely horrified for a son of mine to marry into, even if the girl is perfectly nice. Even if they all are perfectly nice.

Oh, good. Another one who thinks being poor is the only way to build character.

We will live. We will live without a constant influx of other people's money. It will hurt. It will reduce our standard of living. But so what?! It is during times of famine and times of want that truly great people are molded. It is during adversity that character is built. Be that person. Choose to be a standard. Choose to take responsibility, regardless of what Fred, down the road is doing. It starts with one person, with one family, with one neighborhood. It starts with you saying "no". No to a free lunch. No to welfare. No to medicaid. No to a corrupt government. Say "no" to a handout and "yes" to true freedom. It isn't really us against them. It is us against us.

Starve in the streets so that big government doesn't take over!11!11!1

I looked at their 'Guide to Uncommon Diseases' . . .

"Subjects covered....

Bubonic plague, Cholera, Malaria, Radiation Poisoning, Smallpox Typhoid Fever......Recipes, treatment of symptoms, shopping lists and more.

20 uncommon diseases are covered, plus a special section dealing with home treatment of Influenza!

For more practical preparedness topics please visit my blog at paratusfamilia.com"

OK. Umm . . . IS there anything you can buy Over-The-Counter for bubonic plague? And Smallpox has been eradicated, or didn't she know. Oh sorry, wait - this is on the offchance that viral stocks kept in laboratories are looted and disseminated?

I may even have to buy this, just to snark (except I can't because I have NO available cash right now.)

She is seriously crazy. None of that will matter a dime if she's within the blast radius for a nuke. There's only a very very particular set of circumstances in which any of that will be useful, and I wouldn't place bets on it.

And looking at the wish list I feel very sorry for poor Maid Elizabeth. Don't think anyone will match those criteria . . .

Guest Anonymous

It's interesting to me that none of her plans involve any kind of corroboration with anyone else, like she expects to be the absolute only decent family left after a catastrophe. Which, I guess, in her eyes would be the case, because the only other people "worth saving" would have been likewise prepared and not need it?

She's cold.

Guest Anonymous

She basically says that HIV and AIDS is punishment for the 'sin' of homosexuality.

paratusfamilia.blogspot.com/2010/10/when-does-victim-become-culpable.html

Oh, and her adult daughter has a blog, but she writes like a typical homeskool grad - she can't spell "road", plates", "rough" or "throw" (" I just had to through in some pictures of my two youngest siblings"): scarletthreadmidwifery.blogspot.com/

I don't normally nitpick these things, but she writes worse than my 6th grade niece and she's in charge of the healthcare of other women and babies??

I know this sounds horrible, but I pray one of her kids gets a life threatening condition that she can't afford to treat without medicaid. I want to see her let her own flesh and blood die, or spend the rest of their lives living with less than nothing to pay off the bills. I WANT too see her eat her words. Bitch.

Isn't it fun when narcissism, paranoia and grandiosity meet in one person? :shock:

Real Risks of Smallpox Debated Dec. 19, 2002 medscape.com/viewarticle/446692

The real risks from smallpox are addressed in several reports released online early today, to be published in the Jan. 30, 2003, issue of the New England Journal of Medicine ( NEJM).

Concerning Bioterrorism:

"Suppose the worst case: the aerosolization of live smallpox virus applied to a substantial population, say into a shopping center," Dr. Mack said. "Maybe if there was some way to keep it in the air, then, yes, under very extreme circumstances you could infect a large number of people. But the average number of people they infect is not going to change [from what we've seen in natural epidemics]. They don't get smallpox from weaponized virus any more, but from somebody's mouth. If they are put in hospitals, they will be dangerous. But once a first case appears, every community will find a place to put people away from the general hospital population."

About Epidemics/Active Infection

63% of Americans think there's been a case of smallpox somewhere in the world in the last five years. And 30% think there's been a recent case of smallpox in the U.S. The reality: there hasn't been a case of smallpox since 1977 — anywhere...

"There hasn't been a smallpox case in the U.S. — or in the world — in recent years," Dr. Blendon told Medscape. "Many people think there's been a recent case and it makes them more nervous. And people have to understand that there is not an effective treatment — some 80% think there is — so they may not understand the importance of early vaccination. They are not aware of the biggest public health message. That is, if you think you are exposed and get vaccinated in two or three days, you won't get symptoms."

I don't have access to JAMA online. This is from an article that is basically evaluating whether it is efficacious and safe to revive smallpox vaccinations for the general public.

I know this sounds horrible, but I pray one of her kids gets a life threatening condition that she can't afford to treat without medicaid. I want to see her let her own flesh and blood die, or spend the rest of their lives living with less than nothing to pay off the bills. I WANT too see her eat her words. Bitch.

I don't think that they would feel bad. They'd feel like martyrs instead. This is the high price suffered for their belief system which is higher and better than everyone else's which gives them purpose in life and adds meaning to it. Without this stuff, it would only be a normal life.

A bad trauma can make you start thinking like this if you don't have resources (internal and otherwise) to help you heal and move through it, because you get stuck in survival mode in your brain. If you take away the paranoia about feeling unsafe and being unsafe in the world (aren't Christians supposed to have that?), they are left to deal with their original trauma which terrifies them.

For those who get recruited into this stuff, sometimes the hook is merely that they are better than everyone else. Some people look at life and believe that there is only a limited amount of power, money, fame, comfort, ect. to go around. If someone has power (or _____ fill in the blank), they feel threatened because, somehow, that means that they have less. So this kind of thinking is also appealing to people who view power and resources as finite rather than believing that there is enough of whatever to go around.

That doesn't mean that if you live in San Francisco that you shouldn't have a weeks worth of water stored up in case of earthquake as is recommended, or the prudence of having two weeks or more worth of food on hand in general if you can afford that. But this paranoia is hoarding and it is not Christian. Jesus said not to do this kind of thing.

Oh, and her adult daughter has a blog, but she writes like a typical homeskool grad - she can't spell "road", plates", "rough" or "throw" (" I just had to through in some pictures of my two youngest siblings"): scarletthreadmidwifery.blogspot.com/

I don't normally nitpick these things, but she writes worse than my 6th grade niece and she's in charge of the healthcare of other women and babies??

Oh my her spelling is atrocious, simply horrible! I think I tagged 20 or more spelling errors before I had to click on "older posts"...her grammar is not much better!

M.

The daughter is a real piece of work. She had a post up called the smell of welfare, or something of that nature. It was basically a post about how she as a EMT could tell which homes were on welfare based on how bad the place smelled. Yeah, a real charmer. I wrote a comment calling her out on how judgmental that was and the post magically disappeared.

Are you prepared to go the long way around a roadblock set up by bandits so the next hapless folks that stumble into the ambush are killed, just so you don't get your hands "dirty" by taking care of the business at hand? I, for one, am not.

"You, for one, are an idiot."

She's a survivalist who at once thinks it's prudent, or even possible, for a couple of people to successfully challenge and dismantle a blockade? Anyone with half a brain would, if given the chance, simply plant a warning flag then go around the road-block.

Obviously what we have here is someone who pretends she's a realist even while living in a demented fantasy about post-apocalyptic heroism.

Oh great, another fundie who wants to look educated by having Latin words in her web address but fails to understand basic adjective-noun agreement.

I have an emergency pack to prepare for the zombie apocolypse - it contains cigerettes & chocolate.

I just gotta say it.

Six o'clock - TV hour. Don't get caught in foreign tower. Slash and burn,

return, listen to yourself churn. Lock him in uniform and book burning,

blood letting. Every motive escalate. Automotive incinerate. Light a candle,

light a motive. Step down, step down. Watch a heel crush, crush. Uh oh,

this means no fear - cavalier. Renegade and steer clear! A tournament,

a tournament, a tournament of lies. Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives

and I decline.

It's the end of the world as we know it.

It's the end of the world as we know it.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine...

*rocks out*

So now we know what education will look like in 20 years after fundy style home "skooling". The daughter writes and spells on a 3rd maybe 4th grade level and she wants to be a midwife!?! I am really worried about any mother placing her safety in this very uneducated girl's hands. Do you have to know how to read, write, spell and be able to do higher mathmatics to be a midwife? I don't know but I know I would want the person in charge of mine and my baby's care to be able to know the difference in words and spellings as it really could mean the difference between life and death in case of having to look up medicines or medical care.

Guest Anonymous
So now we know what education will look like in 20 years after fundy style home "skooling". The daughter writes and spells on a 3rd maybe 4th grade level and she wants to be a midwife!?! I am really worried about any mother placing her safety in this very uneducated girl's hands. Do you have to know how to read, write, spell and be able to do higher mathmatics to be a midwife? I don't know but I know I would want the person in charge of mine and my baby's care to be able to know the difference in words and spellings as it really could mean the difference between life and death in case of having to look up medicines or medical care.

That's the thing - to be an actual legitimate midwife requires an actual legitimate education, via a direct-entry midwifery program or a nursing education. What we have here is a budding LAY MIDWIFE. THIS is the reason homebirth is dangerous in so many states, because homeschool educated lay midwives are the only option for women wanting to birth outside of the hospital. It is criminal (and is treated as such here in Ontario).

This is very scary. I am a CNA, the very lowest on the rung of nursing/medical education and the first 1/2 of our textbook (8 or 9 chapters) was deadicated to infection control. When I tested for my liscence we even had to be tested for properly washing our hands - proper technique, time under water, how to turn the sink on/off, the whole 9 yards.

While homebirthing can be a wonderful experience for some women if done right - I would not want anyone trusting the birth of their baby to a "godly young woman" who reads and writes at a 3rd grade level and doesn't know a thing about medicine.

Archived