IGNORED

It's The End Of The World As We Know It!

Guest Bekah

Another tip from our local gummint that I bet you won't see on prepper blogs: If services go down in winter and you have some source of heat, one of the first things you should do is collect as many neighbors as possible. More people make more body heat to supplement your backup wood stove or what have you. Have them bring the contents of their fridges and have a potluck. Share. Interact. Take care of each other. Pool your resources.

Most of us in this area have wood stoves as our main source of heat anyway. And I don't want my scary neighbor in the same house as me, thank you...

But I did pool my resources with neighbors and they helped me plow my driveway and we had conversations to keep from going crazy about not being able to get out. (there were trees down in the highway.) This isn't normal to be without power for days here, but not unheard of, so we're ready for it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW. I just read the daycare post. The things they can't do in daycare? Sleep in some nasty dog bed and play with real guns? Gosh, my son has been really missing out all this time- when he was at home full-time I wouldn't let him do those things and he can't do them now that he's in daycare!

SMH. Poor widdle Enola Gay had her feelings hurt by FJ, but compares day care to prostitution. Thankfully my fee fees aren't nearly as sensitive as hers are.

And Enola- it's FULFILLING, not full filling, you freaking moron.

ps- thanks for advertising the shoddy training your daughter is receiving, I found a few CPMs on my list of local midwives that graduated from that crackerjack school. I can now warn my fellow potential homebirthers who they should avoid.

It's disturbing how much these people long for something terrible to happen that would justify their paranoia and hatred. They long for strife the way a thirsty person longs for water or a dying man longs for heaven. When the deficit ceiling issue is settled, they will find another thing to prepare for and they will never get to see the end of the world they so fervently desire.

That is what irks me the most about these people. They want the worst to happen. They are not simply preparing for it - they need it and crave it in order to continue on with their sense of being right while the rest of us lesbian heathen whatever they call us suffer. They are not preparing in order to survive. They are preparing so they can gloat. Nothing would please them more than if the global economy really does crash.

You got it exactly right. They're pissed (extremely) that after 6 years of total domination by the Republicans in the use govt. (2000-2006) that gayness, abortion, muslims, public school, taxes, and all of their other bugaboos aren't outlawed. They fucking hate it and all the liberals that caused it and TEOWAWKI is their favorite revenge fantasy. Where the intellectual homos (that's us :D ) get our faces blown off by the manly Xian soldiers. Just back from their sometimes wet romp in the jungle.

Ok, I'll come out of the prepper closet! We've been into the lifestyle since just before the market crash of '08. We are definitely not fundie, nor right-wing, nor paranoid nail-biters. We ARE slightly past middle-age, so statistically if there's a lay-off chances are slim of being re-hired any time soon. we have teenagers at home eating butt-loads of groceries, and elderly parents who are still well enough to be in their own home, but are barely able to afford it for much longer. We have adult children who are facing long-term layoffs, foreclosures, and bankruptcies. My husband hasn't had a raise in 7 years but our expenses have gone up. Utilities are eating us alive. No credit cards anymore, I no longer get my hair done or nails. We go seldom go out to eat or movies and this year we splurged on the first vacation in four years. We were able to do it because we had stored enough food over time so we could save the money for vacation. We burned wood exclusively this winter saving us $200 a month off our electric bill. That's about a $1000 savings over our mild winters. Being only a couple counties over from the Alabama tornadoes, I was able to donate a large amount of the items they needed, because I had them on hand. I've learned a lot of new skills and I'm working on new ones. I cook 90% of my food from scratch, and we are never sick anymore. We raise our own poultry and I can butcher, clean and pressure can my chickens. We have fresh eggs daily and barter them with the neighbors. I know my chicken meat is cleaned well, healthy, and humanely killed. I can cook indoors or out during a disaster either with the wood cook-stove or the propane stove. I have propane refrigeration. I can also hand-pump water for laundry, bathing and cooking. My wood stove has a reservoir that will heat enough water for a decent hot bath or load of laundry. We are in a very rural area so in the event of an extended power outage, we'll be the last ones who's power is restored. To us, a personal TEOTWAWKI would be economic. Having to take in another set of family members would really strain us. I think it's different sets of problems for everyone whether a layoff or a catastrophic health crisis. Just taking my 2 teenagers for cleaning and fillings was $1200 this Spring, grateful to have some crappy insurance coverage for that. Hit a dog last Summer out on a country road,$500 deductible at the same time as the huge electric bill came in, the air conditioning went out and 6-month car insurance bill was due. Was able to pull out of that tail-spin BECAUSE we could go into our pantry and skip buying groceries. These are minor disasters, but could have put us in a hairy financial spot if we hadn't planned ahead. :whistle:

Ok, I'll come out of the prepper closet! We've been into the lifestyle since just before the market crash of '08. We are definitely not fundie, nor right-wing, nor paranoid nail-biters. We ARE slightly past middle-age, so statistically if there's a lay-off chances are slim of being re-hired any time soon. we have teenagers at home eating butt-loads of groceries, and elderly parents who are still well enough to be in their own home, but are barely able to afford it for much longer. We have adult children who are facing long-term layoffs, foreclosures, and bankruptcies. My husband hasn't had a raise in 7 years but our expenses have gone up. Utilities are eating us alive. No credit cards anymore, I no longer get my hair done or nails. We go seldom go out to eat or movies and this year we splurged on the first vacation in four years. We were able to do it because we had stored enough food over time so we could save the money for vacation. We burned wood exclusively this winter saving us $200 a month off our electric bill. That's about a $1000 savings over our mild winters. Being only a couple counties over from the Alabama tornadoes, I was able to donate a large amount of the items they needed, because I had them on hand. I've learned a lot of new skills and I'm working on new ones. I cook 90% of my food from scratch, and we are never sick anymore. We raise our own poultry and I can butcher, clean and pressure can my chickens. We have fresh eggs daily and barter them with the neighbors. I know my chicken meat is cleaned well, healthy, and humanely killed. I can cook indoors or out during a disaster either with the wood cook-stove or the propane stove. I have propane refrigeration. I can also hand-pump water for laundry, bathing and cooking. My wood stove has a reservoir that will heat enough water for a decent hot bath or load of laundry. We are in a very rural area so in the event of an extended power outage, we'll be the last ones who's power is restored. To us, a personal TEOTWAWKI would be economic. Having to take in another set of family members would really strain us. I think it's different sets of problems for everyone whether a layoff or a catastrophic health crisis. Just taking my 2 teenagers for cleaning and fillings was $1200 this Spring, grateful to have some crappy insurance coverage for that. Hit a dog last Summer out on a country road,$500 deductible at the same time as the huge electric bill came in, the air conditioning went out and 6-month car insurance bill was due. Was able to pull out of that tail-spin BECAUSE we could go into our pantry and skip buying groceries. These are minor disasters, but could have put us in a hairy financial spot if we hadn't planned ahead. :whistle:

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think most people have any problem with being prepared. I say, "Good for you" and "More power to you". I think you're talking about something a little different than the blogger we're discussing here, which is fine, but a lot of people live pretty frugally here and make a lot from scratch and are very resourceful. No one is saying that is weird or bad in and of itself.

I agree with Austin that this isn't at the level that the blogs we have discussed here. This is frugal and cautious. I do the same thing (I've canned so much jam, jelly and pickles already this summer, and I'm getting a wood stove next month.) You're not stocking up on guns thinking that the zombie hoards are going to attack your house.

Wolfie, I live out in the middle of East Jesus on a dirt road and the Zombie horde lives behind me in a doublewide. they are a family of meth users/dealers/ manufacturers who seem to be related to someone in local law enforcement. I and the neighbor lady across the road are alone all week. We've both had to run them off our property at night. One of them is constantly scouting for things to steal and sell, the brothers then come and get it. Yes, we are armed.

Still, Cliodna, it sounds like you are taking wise precautions for your life. As opposed to preparing to kill everyone you see if disaster strikes.

I keep a several week supply of unperishable food in my tiny apartment. That's not being a prepper; it's being smart. Also, it kind of came about naturally because we occasionally get food from food banks and some of it is not stuff we eat. I put those items in the back of the pantry for "just in case". So if there is ever a disaster, we'll be living on Spam and canned peas (eeewwwww) but we will nonetheless have food.

Wolfie, I live out in the middle of East Jesus on a dirt road and the Zombie horde lives behind me in a doublewide. they are a family of meth users/dealers/ manufacturers who seem to be related to someone in local law enforcement. I and the neighbor lady across the road are alone all week. We've both had to run them off our property at night. One of them is constantly scouting for things to steal and sell, the brothers then come and get it. Yes, we are armed.

Again- you're living realistically. (And I'm really sorry about that kind of neighbor, I've had close, but not that bad.) You know what your real threats are. You're not living in a paranoid state that the world is going to end, you must have 10 years worth of food on hand for when it happens, and masses of people from the city are going to show up at your gates trying to attack.

BTW- I have often thought that I should have some sort of gun (more than my BB gun to scare away wild predators) since I live in a rural area, so just being armed doesn't worry me. It is the number of arms these preppers have, and the amount of amunition that they hoard.

Wait a minute, are these zombies people who died but now are walking the earth looking for brains or are they people who didn't go nuts and have 10 years worth of food on hand?

If the govt shuts down, the Mayans were right, Jesus comes a callin', zombies begin attacking or Tom Cruise and his thetan minions stage a coup I have the following ready:

A couple of bottles of Absolut

A box of Twinkies

the complete Harry Potter series

I'm going to get drunk, stuff myself full of Twinkies and read.

Seriously...what do they think is going to happen? Are they worried about Jesus? Think that the govt is going to shut down and anarchy will rule? I'm honestly confused about what they think is just around the corner. And I'm not talking about those who are prepared for lay-off, etc. I'm thinking about the original blogger lady who worries about alternate routes on the way to the A&P. As if what is going to happen on her way to get groceries? The govt is going to fail and random people will start trying to attack her?

If the govt shuts down, the Mayans were right, Jesus comes a callin', zombies begin attacking or Tom Cruise and his thetan minions stage a coup I have the following ready:

A box of Twinkies

Seriously...what do they think is going to happen? Are they worried about Jesus? Think that the govt is going to shut down and anarchy will rule? I'm honestly confused about what they think is just around the corner. And I'm not talking about those who are prepared for lay-off, etc. I'm thinking about the original blogger lady who worries about alternate routes on the way to the A&P. As if what is going to happen on her way to get groceries? The govt is going to fail and random people will start trying to attack her?

Love your plan! Twinkies and booze, I'm with you! :)

A box of Twinkies

:shock: How can you have twinkies in the same room and not scarf the entire box down? Is that even possible? :?:

A box of Twinkies

I'll add some butter-loaded popcorn and good chocolate and then I'm right there with you!

Wait a minute, are these zombies people who died but now are walking the earth looking for brains or are they people who didn't go nuts and have 10 years worth of food on hand?

The second option.

I think people have different theories. For me, the main thing I prepare for is bad weather, but also have plans/preps in case of a pandemic disease or infrastructure collapse. The causes people worry about are anything from governmental shutdown to invasion by the Chinese (really) to the government imploding due to monetary collapse or some sort of civil war or insurgency. I think most people realize all these are far-fetched, but some seem to think each new disaster is inevitable (see Y2K, flu pandemic, Harold Camping "rapture", etc). I don't think most are worried about Jesus, but there are some who do believe that Christians will live through the Armageddon/Tribulation and will have to be prepared to live through it.

Really, most preps are suitable to almost all disasters. You'll need shelter, water, food, medical supplies, tools, fuel/power, sanitation, weapons/defense, and communications. That's why some of the people who were prepping for peak oil or government shutdown did pretty well dealing with Hurricane Katrina and the aftermath. It's also why some people are into the whole zombie thing. I've never noticed the thing that someone here mentioned about calling non-preppers zombies, but my husband is a zombie movie freak and his "litmus test" for everything is would it work in or survive a zombie invasion.

I really don't get the whole isolationist/fearful attitude combined with Christianity though. The Bible tells us not to fear or worry about the future (although I don't think that absolves us from responsibility to plan or prepare). The Bible also seems to support helping one another (or even sending aid/relief) rather than looking out for yourself alone. There was is prophecy of a famine in Acts 11, and the church responded by sending food & supplies to the Judeans who were going to be affected by it. Also, people survive better in groups and cooperative communities than they do trying to wing it on their own - I've seen it myself in ice storms and hurricanes, and also in Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina, but it should be common sense.

This lady reminds me of someone I used to work for, though my former boss was afraid of TEOTWAWKI, but more ordinary, every day problems, like being sued, or robbed, or...I don't even remember or know of all the fears. But it was pretty extreme and seemed to occupy a LOT of her time and energy, to the point where she was making poor business decisions. My layman's opinion is that it's likely some form of mental illness. Extreme OCD maybe?

Sacrilicious, it is probably a mild form of generalized anxiety. That's what I have. I don't usually worry about disasters but just the sight of a bill sends me into panic over our finances.

Having several weeks of extra food and other supplies on hand is actually a smart thing, especially since disasters can hit anywhere. The issue is that this blogger and others take the idea to the extreme where they're basically hoarders. I actually thought that blogger was Mormon at first as that church teaches preparedness, but I saw something about tea, and realized she was just a fundie.

I have nothing to offer on the whole survivalist/prepper lifestyle. But I've been taking a gander at Rural Revolution's blog. Oy Vey. This woman, Patrice Lewis, is a piece of work. I'm getting a total Barbara Curtis vibe from her, and that is no compliment.

• 1 month later...

Archived