IGNORED

The Duggars and glasses?

Guest LilaFowler

Guest LilaFowler

Has anyone ever noticed any of the Duggars wearing glasses? It's remarkable that out of 21 duggars, none of them need eyeglasses. Or maybe some of them do, but it's just for reading.

Good point. I seem to remember seeing one of the girls in glasses a long time ago. Maybe they wear contacts?

I vaguely recall hearing that Jessa or Jinger wore contacts.

Boob and Michelle are at that point where they should need readers, but since we never see them read, there's no reason to see them wearing glasses. They can also afford lasik surgery and Michelle is vain enough to do it. I can picture Boob relishing wearing a pair of Ben Franklin readers during Bible Time; they would accentuate the authoritative, patriarchal look.

I vaguely recall hearing that Jessa or Jinger wore contacts.

Boob and Michelle are at that point where they should need readers, but since we never see them read, there's no reason to see them wearing glasses. They can also afford lasik surgery and Michelle is vain enough to do it. I can picture Boob relishing wearing a pair of Ben Franklin readers during Bible Time; they would accentuate the authoritative, patriarchal look.

I agree Boob would love that look to go with AquaNet hairstyle.

Nearsightedness is actually largely genetic, and it's really not caused by sitting too close to the tv or reading too much. So it really doesn't surprise me that so many kids from the same family don't apparently have eyesight issues.

In all my Duggar reading, watching, etc I've never noticed anyone with glasses even in shots of kids doing school work. Contacts are very likely--like most of the British Royal Family!!!!

Personally, if my vision were appropriate for lasik and I could ditch my heavy glasses I'd do it in a heart beat and wouldn't blame the Duggars for doing that either. Glasses are a pain.

Hopewell, I am SOOO with you. Can't wear contacts; can't do Lasik. Grrrrr...

As an athlete, wearing glasses is beyond annoying. I have the sports goggles, which make me look like a snorkeler who got lost on a soccer field, but even those are annoying after 20 minutes or so. When vision or depth perception isn't that critical (e.g., just running), I'll often go without. Seeing the world in a hazy blur is preferable to glasses straps or goggles or any other means of keeping the damn things on my face.

Yikes. We're making a big assumption that they read. The only thing we've seen them read is the bible and skool worksheets, and I could see one of the Duggarettes disguising vision loss because of vanity, or even in the spirit of self-sacrifice (Jill, anyone?).

I'm pretty sure one of the twins (Jeremiah, I think) wears glasses. I vaguely remember a clip of him wearing glasses on the bus.

Must have missed the twins.....

Anyway, I sure wish Josh/Anna would buy MRS KELLER some glasses from this CENTURY for Christmas!!! I'm all for wearing your own style and fashion be dam_ed but there are limits....

Anyway, I sure wish Josh/Anna would buy MRS KELLER some glasses from this CENTURY for Christmas!!! I'm all for wearing your own style and fashion be dam_ed but there are limits....

I agree! I personally hate contacts because the idea of having to put something on my eyeball grosses me out, so I've always worn glasses. My whole family has them though, my mother is nearsighted and my father is farsighted. I'm nearsighted, but being nearsighted is also a common problem among premies. Once they are taken off the oxygen, the eyes can experience some damage. At least that's what my doctor told me. So I wouldn't be surprised if little Josie needed glasses at some point in her life.

There's no way those fugly glasses are less than 15 years old. I hope she's at least getting the RX glass in them changed.

I wouldn't be surprised if Josie eventually needs glasses as my youngest cousin who was a premie has worn glasses since he was very young. I've also worn glasses since college, as do most people in my family. I don't wear contacts because I don't like the idea of putting something on my eyeballs on a daily basis, and right now, I can't afford the Lasik surgery. I do have an uncle who has had the surgery and was able to get rid of his glasses and take the restriction off his driver's license.

I wouldn't be surprised if Josie eventually needs glasses as my youngest cousin who was a premie has worn glasses since he was very young. I've also worn glasses since college, as do most people in my family. I don't wear contacts because I don't like the idea of putting something on my eyeballs on a daily basis, and right now, I can't afford the Lasik surgery. I do have an uncle who has had the surgery and was able to get rid of his glasses and take the restriction off his driver's license.

Contacts really aren't so bad once you've had a little practice, you might be surprised. I wore the disposable ones for years and loved them. Once I got into my 40's though, my eyes started to dry out a bit and I had trouble tolerating them. Between that and needing reading glasses, it was time to switch to progressives. I do miss my contacts though.

Because of the severity of my prescription and my astigmatism, if I wear contacts, I need to wear gas permeables, but I have kinda dry eyes, so those are out. And I'm too nearsighted for LASIK, so my only options are glasses or Inter-ocular lenses. Which is a little like a contact they surgically implant. Oh, the joy.

Because of the severity of my prescription and my astigmatism, if I wear contacts, I need to wear gas permeables, but I have kinda dry eyes, so those are out. And I'm too nearsighted for LASIK, so my only options are glasses or Inter-ocular lenses. Which is a little like a contact they surgically implant. Oh, the joy.

My Nana has those. She told about the surgery. It seems like it would be a very unpleasant experience.

And the thing is that it's not even that expensive to get some nicer frames. Around here I keep seeing ads for a special where you can get two complete pairs of glasses for $100, even if it's for two different people. I know $100 is a lot of money for some people, but it seems like they could manage to scrape together $50 over the last decade and go halfsies with someone else. And they could even donate the old frames to charity to feel better.

I'm just blind enough that I would likely still have to wear contacts after getting LASIK, so I don't see why I should bother. I'd love to, though, if it meant giving up contacts and glasses.f Luckily, my somewhat severe astigmatism still falls into the range of Toric lenses, which suck the moisture worse than regular ones, but are still preferable to glasses on most days.

And the thing is that it's not even that expensive to get some nicer frames. Around here I keep seeing ads for a special where you can get two complete pairs of glasses for $100, even if it's for two different people. I know $100 is a lot of money for some people, but it seems like they could manage to scrape together $50 over the last decade and go halfsies with someone else. And they could even donate the old frames to charity to feel better.

I wandered into Wal-Mart's vision center to look for the sunglasses that attach to eyeglasses and they have some seriously cheap, modern frames. I'm talking $20-30.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the kids need glasses. Kids usually don't know to asked for glasses because they assume everyone sees the same way they do. They might not be aware that anything is blurry. I certainly wasn't when in the fourth grade a vision check-up required that I get a fairly hefty prescription. I thought my vision was great and I had adapted to doing things without it. I had regular annual eye care visists all from the time I was 3 or 4. In the course on a single year I went from 20/20 to embarawssingly blind and hadn't noticed a thing. That is one reason so many schools do eye exams at the beginning and mid way through the school year. If the parents took the kids to regular check-ups every year it wouldn't be an issue but that doesn't seem like it would be on the duggar radar until a kid was stumbling around.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the kids need glasses. Kids usually don't know to asked for glasses because they assume everyone sees the same way they do. They might not be aware that anything is blurry. I certainly wasn't when in the fourth grade a vision check-up required that I get a fairly hefty prescription. I thought my vision was great and I had adapted to doing things without it. I had regular annual eye care visists all from the time I was 3 or 4. In the course on a single year I went from 20/20 to embarawssingly blind and hadn't noticed a thing. That is one reason so many schools do eye exams at the beginning and mid way through the school year. If the parents took the kids to regular check-ups every year it wouldn't be an issue but that doesn't seem like it would be on the duggar radar until a kid was stumbling around.

Good point. I forget about all the things the evil school system does that the kids miss out on. But at least all of them who are of driving age have to pass the vision test at the license branch. Not that it's a thorough exam, but I don't think you could pass it if your vision was all that bad.

I was 14 when I had to get them. I was having a lot of headaches. I think I knew I couldn't see as well. I got contacts at 16 and only wear glasses if I HAVE to.

it occurs to me that perhaps she is the charity people donate to...

Archived