IGNORED

Harold Camping Says Prediction Was 'Incorrect And Sinful'

doggie

Harold Camping Says May 21 Rapture Prediction Was 'Incorrect And Sinful'

Harold Camping

the old fool try to make himself look humble.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/0 ... 33023.html

(RNS) Radio evangelist Harold Camping has called his erroneous prediction that the world would end last May 21 an "incorrect and sinful statement" and said his ministry is out of the prediction business.

"We have learned the very painful lesson that all of creation is in God's hands and he will end time in his time, not ours!" reads the statement signed by Camping and his staff and posted on his ministry's website.

"We humbly recognize that God may not tell his people the date when Christ will return, any more than he tells anyone the date they will die physically."

The "March 2012" letter, which included multiple mea culpas, was released with a note from the board of California-based Family Radio. The group intended to mail it to listeners first, but immediately posted it "to avoid confusion" after it was leaked online.

Camping said people have continued to wish for another prediction, but he is now convinced that critics were correct about the biblical admonition that "of that day and hour knoweth no man."

"We must also openly acknowledge that we have no new evidence pointing to another date for the end of the world," he wrote. "Though many dates are circulating, Family Radio has no interest in even considering another date."

The letter makes no reference to Camping's explanation last year that he had miscalculated by five months and the world would instead end on Oct. 21, 2011.

The dual predictions landed Camping in the No. 7 spot of the Religion Newswriters Association's list of the top 10 religion stories of 2011.

The Bible says that false prophets should be stoned.

I bet we'll hear no fundie calling for that particular punishment, although they'd be a-okay with stoning teh ebil gay.

I bet we'll hear no fundie calling for that particular punishment, although they'd be a-okay with stoning teh ebil gay.

so true.

Or the evil single mothers who are ruining the fabric of society :roll:

I guess it took Camping almost a year to be able to swallow his pride and offer this lame "oops" letter. Even after all this, I bet there are still plenty of suckers still sending him their hard-earned money.

I say Harold Camping is incorrect and sinful. I should know; I sat through Bible study led by him every Sunday for 2 years when he was at the height of his popularity (but before he broke off and formed his wackadoo church). It took my parents years of me hammering at them to come around and realize Camping was indeed a false prophet. They just had stars in their eyes because this big radio celeb lived in our backyard and if he taught bible study, his theology had to be correct.

I didn't listen to any of it, but being held in the sanctuary, my only other means of entertainment was pulling a bible out of the pew and reading for entertainment. Camping was the final nail in the coffin that turned me away from organized religions for good.

False prophets generally are already stoned. ;)

Don't know what Harold Camping is on, but whatever it was must have been potent.

I feel terrible for the people who gave up everything to follow this man and preach his false prophesies. I want to say well, it's their own damn fault, but I can't.

I view them the same way I view victims of financial scams, they were just looking for a spiritual payout instead of a monetary one.

I don't see him paying back any of the money he accepted over the years for this. People were wiped out financially by this guy and his claims. If he's so sorry, he'll take what he still has and divide it among the people who gave him their money.

I feel terrible for the people who gave up everything to follow this man and preach his false prophesies. I want to say well, it's their own damn fault, but I can't.

And those who commited suicide/murder because of what this man said. A man not 5 blocks away from me killed his wife, 3 year son and himself because of what Camping predicted. Camping should be held responsible for his words.

I wonder if he's being sued by anyone. I know they wouldn't have case, but it seems like something that might happen.

I have trouble hating on him. I don't get the sense that he was being malicious or deceptive. I don't know a ton about him, but he always seemed to me to have as many issues as the people who followed him. They were all equally delusional. It's just very tragic.

I wonder if he's being sued by anyone. I know they wouldn't have case, but it seems like something that might happen.

I have trouble hating on him. I don't get the sense that he was being malicious or deceptive. I don't know a ton about him, but he always seemed to me to have as many issues as the people who followed him. They were all equally delusional. It's just very tragic.

His followers still believe him. Adults that choose to follow him are to be held responsible. No matter how much we want to bust this fruit cake or gothard they only keep going because people choose to throw reason away and follow. The parents of children that suffered the parents should be held accountable. But the only thing that stops people like this besides gay sex is that people use their brains and don't follow idiot preachers. but man has been doing that since the beginning of time and only ignorance keeps it going.

Harold Camping Says May 21 Rapture Prediction Was 'Incorrect And Sinful'

Harold Camping

the old fool try to make himself look humble.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/0 ... 33023.html

(RNS) Radio evangelist Harold Camping has called his erroneous prediction that the world would end last May 21 an "incorrect and sinful statement" and said his ministry is out of the prediction business.

"We have learned the very painful lesson that all of creation is in God's hands and he will end time in his time, not ours!" reads the statement signed by Camping and his staff and posted on his ministry's website.

But wait a minute, how do we know he isn't wrong *this* time?? :?

And those who commited suicide/murder because of what this man said. A man not 5 blocks away from me killed his wife, 3 year son and himself because of what Camping predicted. Camping should be held responsible for his words.

Oh how awful!

I don't know how much responsibility Camping should have for the actions of those who listen to him. If he had actually told his followers to commit suicide because the rapture was coming, I'd likely hold him accountable for any deaths that followed. It's my understanding that he never did that but he did frighten people with his predictions. I had nightmares about the rapture when I was a kid so I know how much that can mess with someone's mind if they believe.

Is Camping senile or was he always making predictions?

well of course he was. but he got away with it. that's the advantage of using religion to justify what you do.

the thing that gets me is he pulled this crap before and people still followed him. These same people want the world to end so they can see Jesus and how sick is that? to say nothing how this idiot is not even following the bible. This is a fool and their money soon part thing.

And that's the crux of the problem right there. Harold Camping didn't experience a sudden burst of rationality. These people still believe that their deity is going to bring an end to the world. His followers are still easy targets for other charlatans who are going to exploit their supernatural beliefs.

And that's the crux of the problem right there. Harold Camping didn't experience a sudden burst of rationality. These people still believe that their deity is going to bring an end to the world. His followers are still easy targets for other charlatans who are going to exploit their supernatural beliefs.

those people want the world to end so they can meet Jesus. The idiots think that's what Jesus wants?

this pretty much sums it up.

photo-30.jpg

Just wondering, what is a false prophet? Someone who really believes he's a prophet but is wrong, or one who intentionally deceives people knowing full well he isn't a prophet?

If he really believed he was a prophet but got it wrong, and he deeply apologizes, I forgive him. If he knew he wasn't a prophet and just spewed shat t get followers for his own gain, all bets are off.

Camping would be #2. When he broke off from the Dutch Reformed church my parents attended until they died and started his own "church," he had both a platform AND was able to collect money every week. A charlatan of the first degree.

Just wondering, what is a false prophet? Someone who really believes he's a prophet but is wrong, or one who intentionally deceives people knowing full well he isn't a prophet?

If he really believed he was a prophet but got it wrong, and he deeply apologizes, I forgive him. If he knew he wasn't a prophet and just spewed shat t get followers for his own gain, all bets are off.

I would agree with this, generally speaking. (I'll admit I don't know how the verse was actually intended. I always skipped over the prophets in the Bible, as this is where I would always realize that the OT is boring as shit, and then I'd want to fast-forward to Jesus. I've been meaning to read them lately, though, as I've learned more from Biblical scholars about how their verses are popularly misquoted and used out of context to make it appear that Jesus fulfilled the old Jewish prophesies.)

Sounds like Marmalade knows a lot more about Camping than has been in the news, though, so he might just be a genuine article dickwad.

That is terrible! He really should be held accountable, but even if someone did try to sue, I doubt they'd be able to make a case.

Camping would be #2. When he broke off from the Dutch Reformed church my parents attended until they died and started his own "church," he had both a platform AND was able to collect money every week. A charlatan of the first degree.

Wow! I don't know anything about his history.

I've been looking for forums where his followers would be, to see how they feel about him now, but I can't find anything. FamilyRadio doesn't have a forum. If anyone knows where his people post, please let me know.

Archived