IGNORED

Even weddings can't be enjoyed...

emeraldskull

So, recently someone posted about the very TMI birth experience, so I went perusing the blog from whence it came, and stumbled across this post: subjectbydesign.blogspot.com/2010/01/thou-shalt-not-bear-false-witness.html

She rambles a bit at the beginning about telling the truth and whatever... then comes out with the real reason for the "bearing false witness" stuff...

I said all of that to say this: Why does going to weddings get me so irritated? Well, I know why, but why can't I just go along and get along like everyone else? Why can't I fawn and oooo and ahhhh and talk about how beautiful the bride was? Why must I find fault with nearly every aspect of the wedding ceremony? One reason, really. Truth. We should be truth tellers. We should not be false witnesses when called to testify. My personal opinion about most weddings, and I mean Christian weddings, is that they are blasphemous. I don't even know why I say "most", because I haven't been to one yet where the truth was spoken.

She sounds super bitter, and I don't even know about what! So it's bad to have a day that is just for you and your hubby, a ceremony and celebration to share with your friends/family your life together? Oh, and then...

Marriage was instituted by God. But wedding ceremonies, filled with their lies, must come straight from the father of lies.

Wedding ceremonies are not essential for marriage. They are not even mentioned in the Bible. (Wedding feasts, yes, wedding ceremonies, no.) Therefore, if we must insist on performing them, shouldn't we be using them as a vehicle for delivering truth? Not every aspect of a wedding needs to be infused with sacred meaning, and for heavens sake please don't invent stuff to make you feel more holy for doing this or that during your wedding!

Wedding ceremonies have always been (even in Bible times), strictly cultural. So our culture loves big ceremonies with dancing and having fun to start a married life... I don't see anything in the Bible promoting OR prohibiting that.

What is with the Unity Candle? From what in Scripture do people get the notion that lighting two candles then using them to light a third candle symbolizes a man and woman coming together as one flesh? It makes about as much sense as having the bride and groom each bring in a pint of ice cream and then mix them together. Or each bring in some mud from their parents' yards and mix that. The TRUTH is... God designed sex as the symbol and the means whereby two become one. But we are too squeamish for that, so we make up our own symbols and the truth be damned!

So... the couple should have sex right there in order to show their unity? :mrgreen: :doh:

Guest Anonymous

I like the ice cream mixing - milkshakes for all at my wedding!

This woman doesn't get the difference between symbolic and sacred.

See? Joyless hag.

That is extremely un-Christian actually. Scriptures say that joy is one of the "fruits" that Christians should display.

She probably thinks wedding ceremonies are lies because she assumes that most people have slept together already. Which is true for most typical people. So what? Yes, the bride walks down the aisle in white which is supposed to signify virginity, and that's not always (often?) the case. So is that the "truthtelling" is she talking about? Maybe the groom should turn to the congregation in the middle of vows, and say, "Hey, you know what? I nailed her after our second date, just in case you were wondering" ? :D

I should probably not even start in on her "unity candle" opinion. . .

:lol: Thank you for the laugh!

Someone should ask her how her weddig was and if she had sex in front of people. (Is she married?)

Well, apparently everyone else was offended too, because she stopped blogging in January. Her fundie friends probably read that entry and thought, "But... but... I invited her to my wedding!"

It makes about as much sense as having the bride and groom each bring in a pint of ice cream and then mix them together. Or each bring in some mud from their parents' yards and mix that.

In some cultures, it is common for the wife to bring a bucket of water from her parents' well to dump in her husband's well, as symbol of their unity. But I guess this fundie's never heard of that before.

I like the ice cream mixing - milkshakes for all at my wedding!

This woman doesn't get the difference between symbolic and sacred.

Bahaha! I had a similar thought when I read that... it would be so awesome to bring 2 pints of ice cream, mix them up and both take a bite! Haha! :-D

And yes, I thought the same thing. Sure (according to the Bible) the unity is sexual relations. Why can't you symbolize that in your wedding with whatever means you choose (aside from the act itself :shock: )?? I just don't get why her brain isn't connecting the dots there...

And now that I think about it, I think she would have approved of the Botkin wedding, it was just what she wants everyone to do! 2 hours of sermons and everything having some sort of "biblical" connection. Blech.

well, i guess i can get onboard because i think the unity candle is kind of lame. we skipped that one completely. probably because my mom might have been tempted to light my MIL on fire.

i wish i had thought of mixing rum and coke at my wedding instead though- that would have been awesome.

We didn't do the unity candle, but I've seen people do colored sand or rice where they mix them together and seal the jar. And I really want to know what her wedding (or lack of wedding) was like.

We didn't do the unity candle, but I've seen people do colored sand or rice where they mix them together and seal the jar. And I really want to know what her wedding (or lack of wedding) was like.

Yeah, I have seen the sand as well. Personally, I think it is just a preference thing. Some people like the symbolism of the candles/sand/rice/whathaveyou. Other people may not want to do that at their wedding. I don't see why this woman thinks that somehow what SHE thinks is right/wrong in a wedding makes all weddings utterly unenjoyable to her. What a joyless way to live, that's for sure. :-P

I have a friend with whom I go to weddings, and we like to judge them. It's pretty fun. But we usually consider our opinions just our opinions, not the Truth that needs to be broadcast, so we keep our negative opinions to ourselves till we're out of earshot so we won't be jerks. I have a lot of fun at weddings, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't want to be ungrateful to the hosts by announcing exactly what I think of Unity Candles. Way to poop a party.

Not every aspect of a wedding needs to be infused with sacred meaning, and for heavens sake please don't invent stuff to make you feel more holy for doing this or that during your wedding!

Considering how ruffled her feathers seem, this statement really makes no sense. Which way does she want it for pete's sake? :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Maybe she is one of "those" fundies who don't believe in an actual marriage ceremony/government recognized contract? Just had Dad hand over authority, boinked. and voila - married!

Maybe she is one of "those" fundies who don't believe in an actual marriage ceremony/government recognized contract? Just had Dad hand over authority, boinked. and voila - married!

From reading her post, that seems like what she is saying... a "real" marriage involves "giving" of the woman by an authority figure, a public announcement, and consummation. No ceremonies, no license, no vows... :-P

Guest Anonymous

oh, read on, there's another entry about how she believes that it is acceptable that marriages be arranged by the father and how taking a woman sexually (as long as she's a virgin and unmarried) constitutes marriage...

From reading her post, that seems like what she is saying... a "real" marriage involves "giving" of the woman by an authority figure, a public announcement, and consummation. No ceremonies, no license, no vows... :-P

She would have HATED my wedding! Well, first of all, I'm Catholic, so there's that. Second, I'm Byzantine Catholic, and in our tradition, no one gives anyone away, the bride and groom are met at the back of the church by the priest and led down the aisle together, to symbolize that THEY are going into this union together of their own free will.

oh, read on, there's another entry about how she believes that it is acceptable that marriages be arranged by the father and how taking a woman sexually (as long as she's a virgin and unmarried) constitutes marriage...

yeah, I saw that. It seemed like with that post, that she was saying a woman can't really get married if she is not a virgin. Weird...

One of those people you make a point NOT to invite to your wedding. :-P

I have a friend with whom I go to weddings, and we like to judge them. It's pretty fun. But we usually consider our opinions just our opinions, not the Truth that needs to be broadcast, so we keep our negative opinions to ourselves till we're out of earshot so we won't be jerks. I have a lot of fun at weddings, but even if I didn't, I wouldn't want to be ungrateful to the hosts by announcing exactly what I think of Unity Candles. Way to poop a party.

Everyone needs a friend like that. :lol:

OH.MY.LORD. Could she possibly be any crazier??????

I know, right? One of the most joyless hags I've ever seen... And I really don't understand the juxtaposition between her "modesty" post and that "birth experience" post. Like "oh, you must be modest, cannot flaunt teh boobies", but then... "Birth ohhhhh oral stimulation ohhhh"... um... yeah. :shock:

was that birth story posted from a daughter's point of veiw?!? I am gagging thinking about a daughter being told that mom and dad were getting their rocks off. Ewwwwwww! :puke-front::puke-huge:

was that birth story posted from a daughter's point of veiw?!? I am gagging thinking about a daughter being told that mom and dad were getting their rocks off. Ewwwwwww! :puke-front::puke-huge:

I'm pretty sure it was the mom, using third person description of herself...

Archived