IGNORED

NieNie skiing 7 months pregnant

Beeks

I have no idea whether this is normal as I am not a skier. It seems dangerous though. Do a lot of skiers continue far into pregnancy? Don't they worry about taking a bad fall? I know Nie was/is a really good skier but it seems....reckless at best.

Is it downhill or x-country? I suppose it depends on the terrain etc.

It's interesting how nowadays pregnancy is no longer a barrier to being active. When I ran the Chicago Marathon last year I saw a heavily pregnant woman running...turns out the woman was in labor and had the baby a few hours after the race!

http://espn.go.com/chicago/story/_/id/7084374/oh-baby-woman-runs-chicago-marathon-gives-birth

Now, running a marathon is hard enough on your body when you are in tip top shape...I can't imagine when you are in labor and have a huge amount of weight sitting on the front half of your body.

If it's downhill skiing, then no, she definitely should not be doing it.

I had plans to snowboard all winter but found out I was pregnant in early January. My dr told me no, no way, not even in the first trimester. The risk of falling is to high.

Cross country would probably be just fine though.

I surfed up to my 8th month, I stopped merely because my center of balance was hard to compensate for, that was back in the dark ages. My Dr. never said a thing to me about it, I did continue ocean swimming.

I surfed up to my 8th month, I stopped merely because my center of balance was hard to compensate for, that was back in the dark ages. My Dr. never said a thing to me about it, I did continue ocean swimming.

I'm a swimmer and swam through my pregnancies as well (with doc's blessing). It just seems like running and swimming are in a different league than downhill skiing. If you fall while skiing - yikes.

My SIL (who gave birth this week, woo!) was downhill skiing in December. It was at an event a local ski slope does where everyone dresses as Santa. She ended up on the Travel Channel. A giant pregnant skiing santa sort of draws attention :-P

I'm a swimmer and swam through my pregnancies as well (with doc's blessing). It just seems like running and swimming are in a different league than downhill skiing. If you fall while skiing - yikes.

Swimming is a great work out for a pregnant woman. I'm tiny and weighed about 116 when I delivered. It was so wonderful to float with ease.

I was also told absolutely not by my OB when I was pregnant. And was it in Utah? I live in Utah ("and no, I'm not"), and we've had a shallow snowpack this year - more chance of injury than usual even, because the snow isn't very deep.

I skied too at that time in my pregnancy. I did stick to the bunny slopes. It was the last time that I skied for a long time.

I skied too at that time in my pregnancy. I did stick to the bunny slopes. It was the last time that I skied for a long time.

She never mentions the types of slopes she's on so maybe she sticks to bunny slopes too. I guess that's not too bad.

DH's family full of hard-core skiers and we go to Utah every year for a big family trip. His sisters always ski when they are pregnant and my BIL actually took a video of my SIL and "little monkey on his first ski trip!" when she was about 7 months pregnant. They are VERY good skiers and rarely fall, even on double black diamond runs. they were cautious but certainly didn't avoid difficult terrain. It made me uncomfortable to watch but there are a lot of nieces and nephews by this time and all are well...

I am not a strong skier so wouldn't do it but I am guessing that NieNie, growing up on the slopes, is a good skier and probably is okay. (although she was traveling at slow speed, her video shot last year showed great skillz)

DH's family full of hard-core skiers and we go to Utah every year for a big family trip. His sisters always ski when they are pregnant and my BIL actually took a video of my SIL and "little monkey on his first ski trip!" when she was about 7 months pregnant. They are VERY good skiers and rarely fall, even on double black diamond runs. they were cautious but certainly didn't avoid difficult terrain. It made me uncomfortable to watch but there are a lot of nieces and nephews by this time and all are well...

I am not a strong skier so wouldn't do it but I am guessing that NieNie, growing up on the slopes, is a good skier and probably is okay. (although she was traveling at slow speed, her video shot last year showed great skillz)

She used to be a ski instructor - she's really good. I guess I'm just paranoid!

I haven't really followed Nie Nie except by the threads on FJ, but are her spelling mistakes typical for her? 'Beauitful," and "thier," all in one post.

I haven't really followed Nie Nie except by the threads on FJ, but are her spelling mistakes typical for her? 'Beauitful," and "thier," all in one post.

Very typical. She got married at 19 and I'm pretty sure being a wife/mom was her entire life's goal. She was never focused on school or education. Nothing really wrong with that I guess.

I skiied that long but I did take it easy and I am an expert skiier/ski patroller and never fell. I stopped as soon as I found out he was breech. Even though I had the doctor's permission to ski it was probably not the greatest idea. That was 26 years ago and I am still a patroller.

Yes. Very typical for her. Thank goodness she doesn't rely on SOTDRT.

Nah, she'd be too concerned with her kids messing up her picture-perfect Anthropologie house to get any school work done.

A dear friend of mine lost her baby from a skiing accident and she wasn't very far along as she didn't know she was pregnant. She did the slamming into a tree which could have killed her also but thankfully she was fine even though she did lose the baby while being medivac out. So I don't think skiing is the safest choice but I'm not the one making that choice, so none of my beeswax. :snooty:

I went on a trip to a ski hill with my sister when she was seven months pregnant and she didn't ski.

edited when I found out there are actually pregnant women who do ski. The more you know...

I guess because of her difficult situation she is under constant medicatl care. And since she's so much longed to become pregnant, she'll certainly nothing that could potentially harm her baby. It's amazing how much better she is now, compared to even a year ago.

Has anybody read her new book?

I guess because of her difficult situation she is under constant medicatl care. And since she's so much longed to become pregnant, she'll certainly nothing that could potentially harm her baby. It's amazing how much better she is now, compared to even a year ago.

Has anybody read her new book?

I don't think the book has been released yet, but I plan to read it.

Archived