IGNORED

Theonomy mom "breaks will" of 16 month old

I posted a video clip from this mom here:http://freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7213

I found a comment from her on Generation Cedar in May 2009, maybe it was talked about on the old board but that was before my time. This mom is new for me, the first time I encountered her was on visionarywomanhood.com when she posted on the evils of paper money.

She is a hard-core Rushdooneyite. She didn't come for the feminine frocks and stay for the Dominionist theology, with her it seems the other way around.

Anyway here's the comment:

Leah says:

May 29, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Hi there, I’ve just started reading your blog and I’m so glad I came across it. One can never have enough encouragement in the area of loving biblical discipline. I’m convinced that effective training is more about the parent exercising self-discipline than it is about implementing it to the child. It takes a lot of self-discipline to be consistent! It’s about training ourselves to train in a biblical and appropriate fashion and then it seems that is when our children respond in the way we hope.

Just an observation from my own experience :)

I have a 3 year old and a 16 month old and one due any second now! Both are very strong willed and stubborn. I’m working very hard with my 16 month old daughter right now to break her will, which is very obstinate. Yesterday she spent 2 hours in the highchair until she would submit and say “please†for her drink. Between talking, spanking and laying my hands on her in prayer, she finally submitted. It’s amazing how prevalent the evil, sinful nature is in young babies and toddlers. And I too believe that if we don’t get on top of that right away at that age, it will be bad news from there on out.

Thanks for your words and encouragements!

To their credit, a couple of Kelly's readers did not hesitate to call this abuse. Kelly herself said nothing. Leah responded on an old blogspot blog that is no longer available. Leah now blogs here leahslabyrinth.wordpress.com and just posted again after a long silence.

ETA link and bolding

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading this makes me so sad for that poor little girl. I wish people who didn't truly want nor love children would please stop having them. Horrible, horrible woman.

More beating of a baby. I cannot even imagine. And if she was making her remain in the high chair, was she taking her out to spank her and forcing her back in, or just hitting her willy-nilly? Either option is absolutely nauseating.

I tell you, these people should all get together and write a book called, "How to Screw Up Your Children in Easy-to-Follow Steps".

Poor baby. I wish I had not just eaten last night's leftover pizza.

Why is this complicated????

Smaller: "Dwink."

Bro: "Oh, you want a drink, Smaller? Do you know what to say? P....?"

Smaller: "Pwease dwink."

Bro: "Oh, what a clever girl! Here's your drink!"

Takes about two minutes, she sees her dad's smiling face and her family's smiling faces and smiles back happily. No two hours hitting, talking and praying involved.

More beating of a baby. I cannot even imagine. And if she was making her remain in the high chair, was she taking her out to spank her and forcing her back in, or just hitting her willy-nilly? Either option is absolutely nauseating.

I tell you, these people should all get together and write a book called, "How to Screw Up Your Children in Easy-to-Follow Steps".

Poor baby. I wish I had not just eaten last night's leftover pizza.

I think probably keeping her in the chair and hitting hands and legs, probably with a "rod" of some kind.

Takes about two minutes, she sees her dad's smiling face and her family's smiling faces and smiles back happily. No two hours hitting, talking and praying involved.

Exactly! Positive reinforcement gets cooperation much more quickly and joyfully for everyone involved. I'm not into breaking my kid's spirit. I'm into making him a polite and thoughtful person who knows how to treat others. Smacking him around does not teach him that ...

Oil. I will say, some kids have a super strong will, and will sit there all night (as I did with my mom...and nothing caused more mutual resentment as well). I mean, you don't want your kid to be a brat but sheesh, you shouldn't want to break their will either? I think you are just asking to have a kid who could easily be abused and controlled by not just yourself but others as well.

We handled the high chair discipline issue by not having a high chair. Instead my husband built a tiny table from a piece of oaktag and four pre-made legs and used an activity cube for a stool. When our toddlers were done, they got up. That's not the best solution for everyone--we have easy-clean tile floors--but note that absolutely no smacking was required. Also there was much less flinging of food.

Oil. I will say, some kids have a super strong will, and will sit there all night (as I did with my mom...and nothing caused more mutual resentment as well). I mean, you don't want your kid to be a brat but sheesh, you shouldn't want to break their will either? I think you are just asking to have a kid who could easily be abused and controlled by not just yourself but others as well.

Isn't that the goal in this culture, especially for daughters?

May that little girl bury but keep her obstinant spirit and one day let it loose to gain her escape.

Meanwhile, I cannot imagine a fate horrible enough for that "mother".

Is it too late to call CPS on this bitch?

Yeah, is there a way? Does anyone know in which states evil mom lives in? Could be a start. I remember a few yrs back someone called CPS on a mom just by going on what said mom wrote on a blog, so it can be done.

she's 16 month old she might just not want to say anything that day. and that's ok Why would you insist for 2 hours? Most probably she forgot the issue that they're hitting her for. this is the most stupid thing I ever heard. It breaks my heart to see parents who can do that.

Jeez many 16 months old don't even say enough words to say please! be glad that she says it from time to time... argh.

What breaks my heart is that "Leah" thinks that evil inhabits babies and toddlers, so parents have to "beat it" out of them.

Crazy bitch indeed.

That post was from 2009, I hope that the kids don't live with her anymore. Yeah right, wishfull thinking on my part...

I posted a video clip from this mom here:http://freejinger.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7213

I found a comment from her on Generation Cedar in May 2009, maybe it was talked about on the old board but that was before my time. This mom is new for me, the first time I encountered her was on visionarywomanhood.com when she posted on the evils of paper money.

She is a hard-core Rushdooneyite. She didn't come for the feminine frocks and stay for the Dominionist theology, with her it seems the other way around.

Anyway here's the comment:

To their credit, a couple of Kelly's readers did not hesitate to call this abuse. Kelly herself said nothing. Leah responded on an old blogspot blog that is no longer available. Leah now blogs here leahslabyrinth.wordpress.com and just posted again after a long silence.

ETA link and bolding

I worked in a daycare with toddlers and it seems completely absurd that a 16mo would sit in a high chair for two hours. They can be stubborn, yes, but two hours?! Most little ones I have come across readily say please and thank you with a reminder. This mother was doing something wrong and I usually refrain from critique in such areas, but that's not normal in my experience with tots. The evil, sinful nature stuff skeeves me out. I know some people believe infants are born sinful, but I have never met anyone who tried to "break the will" as a result. It's why people baptize their newborns. I always think of "Carrie" when I hear such things about evil babies who are sinners and hellbound if not properly disciplined.

Yeah, of all aspects of childrearing, this seems least problematic.

As above posters say, you forgive lapses and reward politenesses and soon they want to be polite all by themselves. Small (Smaller's big sister) had more trouble with this and would shout "No gonnae say it!" To which we responded "No gonnae get it, then" and calmly continued with what we were doing. If she really needed a drink she would get water, not juice.

When she did say it we complimented her. "What a good girl you are, Small, how polite! What a good example to your wee sister!" We used to do rounds of applause too, and she would sit and beam.

Now it's automatic with her, and she will grab Smaller's hand and say "You know what to say! Now, be a good girl! You are good, Smaller."

These are kids with multiple issues. I strongly doubt Leah has had to deal with a kid like that. And they show their nice and kind natures once encouraged, not demonised.

Oh, they have one, it's called To Train Up a Child. Why reinvent the wheel, after all? :puke-front:

Archived