IGNORED

Recommend me a TV Series!

Maul the Koala

So thanks to technology I can watch a lot of current TV shows through apps on my iPod. As a result I'm looking for new shows to add to my viewing list and potentially buy as DVDs. I'm looking for the dirt cheap DVD sales at this time of year as well. This is especially important if I end up moving out for school (*fingers crossed I get in*) since I probably won't get cable hooked up. That is even if I get a TV.

So far I have:

That '70s Show (Seasons 1-7)

Greg the Bunny

Smallville (yes... I am ashamed) (Seasons 1-4)

The Tudors (Seasons 1, 2 and 4)

Supernatural (Season 1)

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (Seasons 1-4)

Frasier (Season 1)

Shows I like:

Raising Hope

Up All Night

The Simpsons

South Park

The Good Wife

Cold Case

Angel

So FJers, this is your challenge. I like shows I can watch over and over again (hence the DVD situation). I'm willing to try out other genres but I do like comedies a lot. I really like the Tudors even though I dislike most 'historical' fiction. It is important to note I have the attention span of a 5 year old but I already know of Yo Gabba Gabba and can watch the clips on Youtube. ;)

Bring on the suggestions!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On DVD:

Pushing Daisies (comedy)

Life (a police drama that was only on for one season a couple of years ago)

Action! (a comedy starring Jay Mohr that was only on for one season)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Wonderfalls (comedy that I can't recommend enough)

Arrested Development (the king of all comedies)

Current shows:

Community (comedy)

Parks and Rec (comedy)

Revenge (soapy drama)

Suburgatory (comedy)

Ringer (drama)

Walking Dead (zombie drama)

30 Rock (comedy)

Mad Men (new episodes in March according to a very high Jon Hamm)

I love TV so I'll probably think of more, eventually.

I love The League- it's totally raunchy however, but hilarious!

Psych is awesome- one of my favorite shows. It's a USA network show, Netflix streams seasons 1-5 I believe.

Dexter, Weeds, Nurse Jackie, Shameless (not the BBC version though)- HBO/Showtime series lots of sex and drug references

Party Down- Starz series about a catering company

If you like Angel, you must like Buffy the Vampire Slayer since that's where it came from. You also may like Charmed, it's along the same lines as Angel and Buffy.

I second Once Upon a Time for a current show. Also Game of Thrones and True Blood are among my favourites.

I do like Buffy, the re-runs are on in the afternoons here. I should consider getting the DVDs though. I watched Charmed when it was first run, my mom watches the re-runs all the time. Now I watch it once in a while and it was like they used any excuse to get Rose McGowan and Alyssa Milano near naked. The actor that played Leo is terrible. How did I not see that the first time around? The earlier seasons are pretty good, it's the later seasons that make me scratch my head.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I tend to not watch a lot of first-run shows and if I move out I'm not getting cable. I watch Big Bang Theory once in a while. I don't have the Arrested Development DVDs but I have borrowed from friends. So funny.

Fun fact, Nathan Fillion (Castle) is from my hometown.

I do like Buffy, the re-runs are on in the afternoons here. I should consider getting the DVDs though. I watched Charmed when it was first run, my mom watches the re-runs all the time. Now I watch it once in a while and it was like they used any excuse to get Rose McGowan and Alyssa Milano near naked. The actor that played Leo is terrible. How did I not see that the first time around? The earlier seasons are pretty good, it's the later seasons that make me scratch my head.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I tend to not watch a lot of first-run shows and if I move out I'm not getting cable. I watch Big Bang Theory once in a while. I don't have the Arrested Development DVDs but I have borrowed from friends. So funny.

Fun fact, Nathan Fillion (Castle) is from my hometown.

One of the reasons I liked Charmed was seeing Alyssa Milano near naked so much. I have season 1-4 DVD of Charmed and watch them constantly, but I don't actually like season 5-7. Defnately reccomend the Buffy DVDS, have those too and have fun with them. I think I would also recommend a Canadian Show, Lost Girl, which is similar again. I met/interviewed the lead actress so i may have a soft spot for it. True Blood does have sort of a Buffy type vibe to it, and there are 4 seasons already so it can last you a little while.

If we're going to go old school, how about Babylon 5?

If you like goofy style mysteries, I'm a big fan of Psych and the earlier seasons of Monk (I felt it fell apart a bit in the end), along with the aforementioned Castle. Ooh, and White Collar... but mostly because the actor who plays Neal is, um, extremely attractive. (REALLY.) Lately I've been watching Grimm, although it's a little meh.

If you don't mind cartoons, there's always Gargoyles. (Actually, all those shows from back then are on DVD now, and I fully intend to get some Darkwing Duck next month for my birthday. My nieces don't know what decent kid's TV is.)

There's always Firefly, and recently I watched the original BBC version of Being Human (although that gets dark).

Before I go to sleep... DARKWING DUCK! Let's get dangerous! I loved that show when I was little.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think the best thing is all of them are syndicated so I can get a feel for a few episodes before I commit (before I leave my parents' house anyway). Hmmm... must get watching.

And CanadianHippie... Corner Gas is so funny. Apparently that's what small town Saskatchewan is like. :)

On DVD:

Pushing Daisies (comedy)

Life (a police drama that was only on for one season a couple of years ago)

Action! (a comedy starring Jay Mohr that was only on for one season)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Wonderfalls (comedy that I can't recommend enough)

Arrested Development (the king of all comedies)

Current shows:

Community (comedy)

Parks and Rec (comedy)

Revenge (soapy drama)

Suburgatory (comedy)

Ringer (drama)

Walking Dead (zombie drama)

30 Rock (comedy)

Mad Men (new episodes in March according to a very high Jon Hamm)

I love TV so I'll probably think of more, eventually.

I second Buffy and Life, which actually ran for two seasons.

If you like That 70's Show and Raising Hope, you might like Grounded For Life. It's one of those sitcoms that I discovered in reruns after it was canceled, but I've probably seen every episode. Hysterical.

Battlestar Galactica - start with the 2003 miniseries before beginning the DVDS of the tv show proper. It's excellent.

Seconded. You HAVE to watch this show over and over to get it! Skip razor, it sucked.

Homeland isnt on DVD yet but it was awesome.

6 Feet Under is my all-time favorite TV Series. It is sometimes dark but also very moving, funny, etc. If you watch it, I'd recommend starting from the beginning because the plot and character development can be better appreciated that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Dance Moms. OMG if you want to feel superior as a person of common sense and self-respect, ANY of the dance moms will serve as "how not to" examples.

Well, Holly may be a little more above-it-all than the rest.

I started out finding Abby Lee (coach) to be squicky. I still think she's icky but I do respect her for having built her business and having the 'nads to keep a bunch of stage moms in line!

Because I refuse to give up my childhood.. There's "Ahh!! Real Monsters," love that show.. lol

Family Guy, Jekyll, Ruby Gloom, Beavis and Butt-Head.. $#!@ My dad says is a good show, but I'm not sure if it's out on DVD. My "guilty pleasure" viewing would have to be Beauty and the Beast. I LOVE that show. Yeah, it's sappy, but it warms the cockles of my lil cold heart.

I second 30 Rock. It cracks me up every single time.

I also second Weeds. Darkly funny and completely awesome.

As far as crime shows go, have you tried Criminal Minds? It's my absolute favorite of the crime shows, but that might just be the psych major dork in me coming out to play.

In the no longer on tv category I'll throw Dead Like Me into the hat. It's a dark humor show and it's fantastic.

Dead Like Me

Rescue Me

New Girl

Downton Abbey

How I met Your Mother

Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Skins (UK)

Archived