IGNORED

Recommend me a TV Series!

Maul the Koala

In the no longer on tv category I'll throw Dead Like Me into the hat. It's a dark humor show and it's fantastic.

Did you see the movie?!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yup! I own it actually (and the series). I was so sad that:

Rube wasn't there.

I agree - I was also angry with

The girl they got to replace Daisy

Though the ending was awesome.

I'm glad that George got Rube's job.

I want it back so bad!

I'll put in another bid for Pushing Daisies (seriously this so is SPECTACULAR, I can't believe it only ran for two seasons), Parks and Recreation, Arrested Development, and How I Met Your Mother.

30 Rock-it remains funny and fresh even though it's been on for many seasons

Raising Hope-Charming, sweet with a wee bit of snarkiness. Plus, Martha Plimpton rocks.

Parks and Rec-I love how this show features working women who are smart and for the most part very professional. Plus, they work in a non-glam industry.

Community-Great cast and perfect writing. I'm so glad this show is coming back in spring.

Definitely take a look at Psych (fake-psychic detective) and Leverage (con men who use their skills to help people who were wrongfully screwed over). They're hilarious, but they also have heart.

Oh, and Game of Thrones, obviously.

I just finished watching Blackpool last night. A BBC crime drama/musical with David Tennant. Great writing, the musical parts were hysterical and well staged, good tunes, and the plot and dramatics excellent.

Just started watching "Burn Notice" which isn't my typical cup of tea, but I absolutely love it. Jeffrey Donovan plays the main guy, and while he kinda has a snotty look to him, his character is awesome and I've basically fallen in love with the show. It's about a "burned" spy that is trying to get back into the fold. Action, intelligence missions, a bit of comedy and slight hints of sexy time make it a good one to watch. Netflix is streaming seasons 1-4 right now.

There is a fabulous series running on PBS right now on Saturday evening at 7pm (East Coast) called Lark Rise to Candleford. The lead character is a strong, independent, feminist woman. I can't recommend it highly enough. It is my favorite hour of the week!

Done but on dvd:

Six Feet Under

The Wire

currently stilll on:

Dr. Who

Torchwood

Person of Interest

• 1 month later...

I second Mad Men, Fringe, and 30 Rock

Okay, Gossip Girl too.

I will add Parenthood, Glee and The Office. Sorry if those were mentioned above.

Oh, and my two favorite short-lived series', Freaks and Geeks and Life Unexpected.

I second New Girl and Suburgatory.

I love Blue Bloods. I'll admit that I only started watching it because Donnie Wahlberg's in it, but I really, really like this show.

Firefly - only 1 season so it might be frustrating but well worth it.

Babylon 5 - the entire series was thought out before hand even the movies so the plots all follow through from first episode to last. It's got everything funny episodes, serious ones, romance

MASH

Castle, NCIS, NCIS LA are all good and current

• 2 weeks later...

My particular tastes in TV run more towards quirky than realistic, but if you're down with that, I'd recommend:

Light Quirky - Nth-ing the rec for Pushing Daisies! It's sweet and witty without getting stale or hipstery. And I lust after Chuck's wardrobe. <3

Midtone Quirky - Due South. An oldie from the early 90s, but still remains one of my favorites. It's about a Canadian Mountie named Benton Fraser who... Well, the way he tells it is, "I first came to Chicago on the trail of the killers of my father and, for reasons that don't need exploring at this juncture, have remained, attached as liasion officer to the Canadian Consulate." He has a detective best friend named Ray, a deaf half-wolf named Diefenbaker, and is haunted by the ghost of his aforementioned dead father, legendary Mountie Sgt. Bob. They fight crime!

Dark Quirky - Twin Peaks. In a tiny town in Washington State, the homecoming queen is brutally murdered. Special Agent Dale Cooper, Tibetan Buddhist and coffee enthusiast, is sent to solve the case. Even though the question on everyone's lips is "Who killed Laura Palmer?" a better question might involve a what instead. Deals with some bleak subject matter, but it's a magnificent tapestry of a murder mystery with one of the best ensemble casts I've ever seen. And it's directed by David Lynch, so don't watch it right before bed.

I like Bones and thanks to Netflix I've been watching it in order from the beginning (also it has David Borneaz from Angel who is quite easy on the eyes).

I second (or third or fourth) 30 Rock- I can be in the worse mood and watch any episode and I will crack up! Also I have huge crushes on Alec Baldwin and Tina Fey.

My husband has been obsessing over Game of Thrones, but I want to read the book first.

Community is fantastic. Everyone should watch it.

I will also agree with recommending Twin Peaks, at least the first season.

American Horror Story was creepy as fuck. The first season is over now, but I imagine you could find it somewhere.

I haven't read the whole thread, but you said you like comedy. How I Met Your Mother is hilarious, and it's pretty long. They're on season 7 now, with all 6 out on DVD.

Also, my favorite TV show of all time is Lost. I think it's an amazing series. Six seasons, all out on DVD. And they're pretty cheap now, I saw them all at Walmart during spring break for $20 each.

• 2 weeks later...

If you liked the Tudors you'll probably like the Borgias. Great, opulent, historical soap. Season 2 is about to come out.

I liked Damages and started watching The Killing, which will lead in to Mad Men.

• 2 months later...

I'm definitely gonna say Lost Girl. It's my new favorite show.

Also anything created by Joss Whedon, and Veronica Mars is great as well. Yeah, even the third season.

Archived