IGNORED

The Duggar Kids have the power to END reality tv

CynicMom

Okay, I've been thinking about this for awhile. Networks like doing reality TV shows because:

1. No actors to pay

2. Non-union crew

3. No writers to pay

4. No children that have to have special privileges (like pay or eduction)

When they all grow up, the Duggar kids have the power to bring a lawsuit that would permanently cripple #4. The cameras have filmed for all to see how the pressures of keeping up ratings encouraged the parents to pretty much stop homeschooling entirely. So no education. They also haven't been getting the interventions we all suspect several of them need. The kids haven't been paid when everyone knows the draw of the show is the kids not the parents.

The Gosslin kids had stress, but at least they get typical educations and a BETTER lifestyle as a result of the show. The Duggar kids it could be argued have had their lifestyle substantially worsened.

Think about the younger ones like Jed/Jer or Johanna. They have no earnings, no education, and substantial competitive pressure (got to bring those ratings)! Basically all the same problems of real child actors without the benefit. So I comfort myself with the idea that eventually the Duggar kids will KILL the whole genre that spurned them.

From Paul Petersen's website, A Minor Consideration:

The problem confronting the Industry is that "reality shows" are, by their nature, considered a different production specie. It's a fallacy. All of us know that 7 global conglomerates dominate the Industry. It is certainly not in children's interests to allow global conglomerates to unilaterally define the workplace when it comes to popular entertainment, let alone for kids to suffer global tabloid press coverage. The textile and shoe manufacturing conglomerates didn't get away with it. We don't permit the meat packing industry to define the workplace, and the coal mining industry has prohibited children for two hundred years. All of us…the unions and the major producers…recognize that the rules for children are different. Reality shows are packaged and sold, produced based on a preconceived concept that often employs writers, professional filmmakers, and casting directors. All of the people involved in production, from film crew to publicists, are under the direction and control of a corporate entity.

When a cast member of the "Survivor" reality show fell into a blazing fire pit on a remote beach no one lifted a finger to help the endangered performer. When Tom Forman, the Producer of the series was asked why even the camera man didn't drop his camera to help, he replied as follows: "If the camera man had stopped filming to help I would have fired him on the spot."

Is this what children employed on a reality show can expect if danger threatens? Is this acceptable to America's audience? Education is mandatory in America, but set-teachers are not part of the production crew in reality show production. Age-appropriate time limits are a commonplace feature on union productions using kids, but not on reality shows. Financial remuneration (a salary) is an accepted part of all television production, but not with reality shows. Court-Approved contracts are a reality for all minors employed on long-running series, and in California, the Coogan Accounts are mandatory. If you pretend that kids in reality shows are just "participants" all the rules go out the window…and with them, any semblance of responsibility and accountability.

The whole essay is here: http://www.minorcon.org/when_children_work1.html

I had such a crush on Paul Peterson when I was a kid. Still do, kinda.

He lives in a very suburban neighborhood in Gardena CA. I've seen him at my local Petsmart buying dog food and at the local Vons. He's very low key. I think he's done a great service for child actors to make the laws protect them. Too bad the laws can't protect the Duggar kids.

He lives in a very suburban neighborhood in Gardena CA. I've seen him at my local Petsmart buying dog food and at the local Vons. He's very low key. I think he's done a great service for child actors to make the laws protect them. Too bad the laws can't protect the Duggar kids.

Really? How cool, thanks for the stalking tips info! :lol:

I think the Gosselin kids will sue.

I agree, and I hope they do. The Duggar kids wouldn't even know how to do something like that and they would never go against their daddy unless they ran away completely, in which case suing a tv show would be less important than many other things.

Normally, I would agree that reality television is bad for kids. But for the Duggar children, I actually think it's the best thing that could have happened to them.

Before the show, they were crammed in a tiny, overcrowded house and living a totally isolated, fundamentalist lifestyle. Since the show, the children have been exposed to more diverse people and places than Jim Bob and Michelle would ever have allowed before, and had more opportunities than they would ever have been willing to give them.

As the show goes on, their lives are getting less restrictive. I mean, next season, they are even letting the children go to Space Camp. Space Camp! With real science and everything. Since the children are being exposed to all these things, I think there's a very good chance many of them are going to be able to envision a life beyond fundamentalism for themselves.

I even think that it's possible the show has helped the children's schooling. Jim Bob and Michelle were never going to let the children have a decent education, and in the early days, the kids only learned from Wisdom Booklets. At least since the show has started, they've made a tiny bit more of an effort (although still pathetic) by including things like Switched On Schoolhouse and College Plus.

Reality television still sucks, but for kids who are being raised in a restrictive cult, I think it has more advantages than drawbacks.

I agree, and I hope they do. The Duggar kids wouldn't even know how to do something like that and they would never go against their daddy unless they ran away completely, in which case suing a tv show would be less important than many other things.

Personally I hope the Gosselins and the Duggars just run away from mommy and daddy as fast as their legs can go once they hit 18.

does it mean they have to sue the parents at the same time? What if daddy dies early can they sue? Coz me thinking they'd try to get some money if there is some to make!!!

I think the Gosselin kids will sue.

Really? I always got the impression quite a few of them loved being on TV and were likely to want to break into the industry when they're older. Admittedly I try to keep my exposure to all Gosselin productions to a minimum, but whenever I've seen them on TV (the older girls in particular) seem to really be hamming it up for the cameras.

Normally, I would agree that reality television is bad for kids. But for the Duggar children, I actually think it's the best thing that could have happened to them.

Before the show, they were crammed in a tiny, overcrowded house and living a totally isolated, fundamentalist lifestyle. Since the show, the children have been exposed to more diverse people and places than Jim Bob and Michelle would ever have allowed before, and had more opportunities than they would ever have been willing to give them.

As the show goes on, their lives are getting less restrictive. I mean, next season, they are even letting the children go to Space Camp. Space Camp! With real science and everything. Since the children are being exposed to all these things, I think there's a very good chance many of them are going to be able to envision a life beyond fundamentalism for themselves.

I even think that it's possible the show has helped the children's schooling. Jim Bob and Michelle were never going to let the children have a decent education, and in the early days, the kids only learned from Wisdom Booklets. At least since the show has started, they've made a tiny bit more of an effort (although still pathetic) by including things like Switched On Schoolhouse and College Plus.

Reality television still sucks, but for kids who are being raised in a restrictive cult, I think it has more advantages than drawbacks.

Yes, tv has benefited the Duggar kids in many ways, from providing a house, to exposing them to outside viewpoints, to even preventing their mom from hitting and yelling so much. But unless you actually experience that kind of thing, it's hard to imagine just how horrible it can be. Having cameras follow you around will affect you more than you expect. I haven't been through that so I can't really judge if the benefits outweigh all the negatives though.

Really? I always got the impression quite a few of them loved being on TV and were likely to want to break into the industry when they're older. Admittedly I try to keep my exposure to all Gosselin productions to a minimum, but whenever I've seen them on TV (the older girls in particular) seem to really be hamming it up for the cameras.

The Gosselin kids had "ham it up" moments and also miserable crap that should never have been on TV, especially regarding Mady. They started kindergarten a year late to allow for filming ffs. Their first crap is on Youtube. They spent their early years acting for an audience and they will never see a red cent. Yeah, I think they could sue.

The only episode I ever watched ended with the twins in the confessional, and one of them saying impatiently, "Can we go now?"

Archived