IGNORED

Degrassi

StarrieEyedKat

So, I just realized that I missed ALL of season 11 over the summer, and I can't find out when it's going to be on teennick again and I can't find it anywhere online. I feel like crying.

Anyone else too old to be unhealthily addicted to this teenagers soap opera?

Oh, my god. Me. Although in my defense, I've been addicted since I was just a year or two older than the first main cast of The Next Generation. I like Degrassi: Original Version too, but I didn't get into that until much later. I'm sure they'll marathon season 11 before 11.2 starts in November, so just keep an eye out in a week or so.

Who's your all-time favorite cast member? Who's your favorite current cast member? Let's fucking talk about it.

Yes!!! I've watched since season 3. I miss the old cast! I loved the episodes with Paige, Spinner, Darcy, Ellie, Liberty, and J.T. Netflix really needs to put the old seasons on instant watch...they had them up for a few months then removed them :(

I've lost interest, I have to admit. It used to be part of my mandatory weekend TV watching. I had a huge girlcrush on Manny, even though she was way too young for me.

Oh, my god. Me. Although in my defense, I've been addicted since I was just a year or two older than the first main cast of The Next Generation. I like Degrassi: Original Version too, but I didn't get into that until much later. I'm sure they'll marathon season 11 before 11.2 starts in November, so just keep an eye out in a week or so.

Who's your all-time favorite cast member? Who's your favorite current cast member? Let's fucking talk about it.

Yeah, I first saw it at like, 3am when I was babysitting overnight for a teacher in high school, so at one point it was totally age appropriate for me to watch. I've never really watched the original version, but I've seen bits and pieces of it. I've got an eagle eye on my TV guide, right now they're repeating some earlier Next Generation episodes. (Drake will always be Jimmy to me.)

I hate myself for it, but I really liked Ashley, especially as she got older. Emma too, of course - I finally got my husband to watch all of the older episodes (he refuses to watch the newer ones) and I think either Emma or Ellie was his favorite. Oh, Emma and Spinner getting married? HATED THAT! I like Holly J and Fiona now. Claire and Eli and Adam are ok. I reserve the right to change my mind after I watch season 11.

I really appreciate that the show is willing to go as far as it can. I know when Manny got her abortion they wouldn't air it in the US, which pisses me off.

Yes!!! I've watched since season 3. I miss the old cast! I loved the episodes with Paige, Spinner, Darcy, Ellie, Liberty, and J.T. Netflix really needs to put the old seasons on instant watch...they had them up for a few months then removed them :(

Oh god, I HATED Darcy. Paige and Liberty I could tolerate, but they both got on my nerves. I really liked Alex and Paige when they first got together.

Also - Degrassi made me absolutely love Kevin Smith.

I've lost interest, I have to admit. It used to be part of my mandatory weekend TV watching. I had a huge girlcrush on Manny, even though she was way too young for me.

I lost interest in the 'Mia" years, but with the newer cast I've been more intrigued. I do wish they'd go back to a more realistic looking cast. They're all too pretty and polished compared to the original Next Generation kids.

I lost interest after Mia came along. Haven't seen the show since that season.

I couldn't stand Ashley, I grew to like Paige, Liberty would sometimes get on my nerves, Darcy pissed me off from her first appearance, but I never did hate any character as much as Ashley. She made my Canon Sue detectors go off. As does Emma.

I really do miss JT though. He was usually the one who could make me laugh when I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle every other character. Along with Toby.

Yeah, it's been a long time since I've seen the show.

I lost interest after Mia came along. Haven't seen the show since that season.

I couldn't stand Ashley, I grew to like Paige, Liberty would sometimes get on my nerves, Darcy pissed me off from her first appearance, but I never did hate any character as much as Ashley. She made my Canon Sue detectors go off. As does Emma.

I really do miss JT though. He was usually the one who could make me laugh when I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle every other character. Along with Toby.

Yeah, it's been a long time since I've seen the show.

I know what a Mary Sue is, what's a Canon Sue? If it is what I think it may be, I completely agree, even though I liked both characters.

I know what a Mary Sue is, what's a Canon Sue? If it is what I think it may be, I completely agree, even though I liked both characters.

It's a Mary Sue that's already in the canon.

Hey, what season did emma and spinner get married? i must have completely missed that. I grew up with that show and then I kinda lost track when I went to college because i didn't have the channel.

season 11 was ok. still good to watch.

Hey, what season did emma and spinner get married? i must have completely missed that. I grew up with that show and then I kinda lost track when I went to college because i didn't have the channel.

I think it was in the 'movie' after... season 9/before season 10? Not sure, though.

• 11 months later...

Wow, they're actually going to give Adam a significant story line. I was thinking they bit off more than they could chew with that character. It was such a good idea and then they just never went anywhere.

However, I don't believe for a minute the homophobic preacher's daughter would date a transgendered male. I could see if they were friends, but I hardly think she would be able to jump from hate to love.

I liked Bianca better when she was still a nasty little bitch. She took Alex's place, and Alex was a great character.

I miss the old cast, but they had to move on. Once the kids go off to college, it isn't degrassi anymore. Its whatever university they go to. I do appreciate how they have distinct characters and don't just recycle old personalities. I also like how all the kids have good and bad character qualities.

I think they did a good job handling Emma's eating disorder. I wish they had stretched it out more, over maybe a quarter of the season. Her flipping out over Manny eating pizza and food being "dangerous" is something I remember all too well.

I loved the original series, and the new series until Emma et al grew up. I haven't been able to get into the latest cohort.

I loved the original series, and the new series until Emma et al grew up. I haven't been able to get into the latest cohort.

I've watched the newest one on and off, but the original Degrassi High and Degrassi Jr. High are my favourites as well. When I find the time, I'll try and catch up. I'm interested in the Adam storyline, as it's one thing the original series never addressed.

Glad to know I'm not the only adult to watch Degrassi! I started w/ Degrassi TNG and had serious love for Jake Epstein (Craig) despite being 10 years his senior. Once they stopped showing the original cast, I lost interest but I still like to read.the show summaries:)

I have no idea what age the actors/characters are from the years I like (with JT, Sean, Toby, Emma, Manny, Paige, Ellie, etc etc... before the college years). Okay, no, I just looked them up - and I'm aware I could've deleted my first sentence - and I'm a couple of years younger than the original New Generationers. So I'm age appropriate.

I pretty much don't like it after the JT fiasco, and by no means do I know anything about the newer seasons. Ellie might be my favorite.

I've watched the newest one on and off, but the original Degrassi High and Degrassi Jr. High are my favourites as well. When I find the time, I'll try and catch up. I'm interested in the Adam storyline, as it's one thing the original series never addressed.

I grew up with the original Degrassi Junior High and remember watching the episode where Emma was conceived. I haven't watched TNG.

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched Degrassi since the 80s. Honestly, nowadays it doesn't seem like the same show. In some ways it's trying to be more like an American soap opera than it is a show about a group of average teens struggling to grow up. Plus the fanbase is getting younger and crazier (either that or I'm getting older and grouchier).

Still, I do watch it if only for the LGBT* positive message it spreads.

I've watched Degrassi since the 80s. Honestly, nowadays it doesn't seem like the same show. In some ways it's trying to be more like an American soap opera than it is a show about a group of average teens struggling to grow up.

That is why I couldn't get into it. And the fact that Spike looks so average. I pictured her being somewhat toned down but still standing out from the crowd as an adult.

I've watched Degrassi since the 80s. Honestly, nowadays it doesn't seem like the same show. In some ways it's trying to be more like an American soap opera than it is a show about a group of average teens struggling to grow up. Plus the fanbase is getting younger and crazier (either that or I'm getting older and grouchier).

Still, I do watch it if only for the LGBT* positive message it spreads.

I agree with this. The show 90210 was patterned after the original Degrassi; in watching it now, it seems that Degrassi has returned the favour. I preferred the original.

i still like to watch it. i started watching tng right when it started and i cant stop now. but i must say my favorite episode is the old school degrassi movie. it was so much like real life. and i dont think anyone who watched it will forget the infamous "you Fucked Tricia Campenelli?!'', ever. best ever wtf degrassi moment hands down

i adored early degrassi. i think i said it before but the whole ashley/manny/craig triangle was so close to the joey/tricia/katelyn triangle. i thought it was so neat that craig could go to two of the players of the previous triangle for advice. it showed that times do change, but the problems still stay the same

I read somewhere that in the original Degrassi there was no cast wardrobe and the kids were filmed in whatever they wore to the set that day. Contrast that to the current season, with the pretty faces and fashionable clothes, and I just can't get into it.

Degrassi TNG during the Emma years was the best.

Archived