Jump to content

South Korea: Cats and stoves don't mix


Recommended Posts

Bad kitties


Pet owners in South Korea have been warned to stay on their guard after more than 100 fires were started by cats over the past three years, according to fire officials in the capital Seoul.

A statement Thursday from the Seoul Metropolitan Fire and Disaster Department said cats caused a total of 107 house fires between January 2019 and November this year.

The cats are believed to have started the fires by switching on electric stoves, the department said. Cats can turn electric stoves on by jumping on touch-sensitive buttons -- and once overheated, the appliances can catch fire.

Four people were injured in the fires, just over half of which started while pet owners were out, the statement added.


  • Upvote 2
  • Rufus Bless 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My parents nearly had a similar experience:  some 30 years ago, they lived in an apartment that had an old-model gas stove.  The pilot light was under the center of the cook top and had a small vent hole over it.  Their cat sat on the edge of the stove to look out the window and draped his tail over the vent.  Luckily my mom was home and could smell what turned out to be scorched tail fur and quickly put it out.  
Training commenced immediately to deter Kitty from sitting on the stove.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.