IGNORED

Visionary Woman: U Cannot Haz Placenta Casserole!

Witsec1

I just found this post!

What the fuck is a Wemmick?

Wemmicks are the little wooden people in Max Lucado's stories. They are the people who go do dumb or mean or pointless stuff because they don't have a relationship with the wood carver. It's her condescending way of referring to non-Christians.

I don't mean this to be offensive to anyone who derives benefit from Max Lucado. I'm grateful that he doesn't want to burn or stone people who don't live up to the right standard, so more power to him. I've picked up books of his on two occasions, and frankly, not only did I feel like I needed a shot of insulin thereafter, I felt like I could feel my brain shrink with each word. I'd rather chew on sticks of wood...

That said, I'm not all that impressed with the intellectual acuity of the chick who decided that pregnant Christians everywhere can't wait to sink their teeth into their placenta. And for heaven's sake, if you do stuff like this, it's America. You can do it. Please just don't tell us about it.

For heaven's sake, there are herbal supplements that work very nicely for hormone replacement, and you can eat liver.

I think I should clarify that Natalie uses the word "Wemmick" to refer to everybody, Christians and non-christians alike. It's the whole Calvinist total depravity shtick. Of course, she is a Wemmick with a magic decoder ring that lets her decipher the Absolute Truth from the Word of God so she can tell other Wemmicks exactly what God wants them to do. But as long as she abases herself and calls herself a "a big fat failure" as she did in a recent post, it's all OK and she is maintaining humility.

What's odd is how she uses it all the time - so confusing to new readers.

Since I lived in the San Francisco Bay Area in the 70's, I've known several hippies who did this. I always had a chuckle over this bit of logic - "Vegetarians can eat placenta because it's the only meat you don't kill".

See, my placenta turned on me when I had my second child, so the only thing it deserved was to be thrown against the OR wall! :evil:

A friend of mine bought a kit that allowed her to dehydrate her placenta and put it in capsules. She took so many per day for a few weeks after the birth. Her anecdotal experience is that this is the first baby in which she did not get PPD; she did not even get the standard weepy Baby Blues. I don't know if I would try it personally.

The Bible does not mention a lot of things. Like cars, one dollar bills, etc. Does not make them evil.

Fun fact of the day:

According to Jewish dietary law, one is forbidden from mixing meat and dairy products. ('You shall not boil a kid [baby goat] in its mother's milk' - Ex. 34:26). Hence, we divide all food products into three categories:

- Chalav: dairy

- Basar: meat

- Parve: 'neutral' (this includes fish, eggs and vegetables - you can have these either with meat or dairy)

Human body products are considered 'parve': such as human blood (i.e. imagine sucking your finger after a papercut and then drinking a glass of milk) and breastmilk (yes, your baby can have some beefstew and then nurse).

So... by extension, this also extends to the placenta.

Placentaphagy: the only way in which a kosher-keeping Jew could have a cheeseburger.

Chew on that, folks! :lol:

I had a neighbor who was pretty crunchy (old school Boulder for those of you that understand), and she told me she made soup with her placenta with her daughter about 25 years ago and ate it. She wasn't very religious, and went to a menonite church, so I think it was more for hippie reasons than religious.

Man I just could not do the soup. I knew folks that did the freeze dry and the soup. I do know some weirder tales of salted pressed and dried placentas in hand turned vessels, very wowie zowie shit.

I found some good recipes online:

Spiced Placenta Fricassée

1 placenta (fresh or frozen)

2 large onions, cut into eighths

4 cloves garlic, crushed

4oz plain flour

tspn Thai 7 spice seasoning

tspn paprika

1 cup water

pinch salt

oil

barley(optional)

Method:

Heat the oil in a flat bottomed pan

Mix the flour, salt and spices well

Cube the placenta, roll the cubes in the spiced flour and set it aside.

Once the oil is smoking hot, fry the onions and garlic for 2 minutes until they begin to brown

Add spiced placenta cubes and sear for a further minute.

Add water, a little at a time, until the placenta and onions are boiling in a placenta gravy.

Add barley if required, depending on number of guests.

simmer for 8 minutes or until done.

Roast Placenta

1-3lb fresh placenta (must be no more than 3 days old)

1 onion

1 green or red pepper (green will add colour)

1 cup tomato sauce

1 sleeve saltine crackers

1 tspn bay leaves

1 tspn black pepper

1 tspn white pepper

1 clove garlic (roasted and minced)

Method

(Preheat oven to 350 degrees)

1. Chop the onion and the pepper & crush the saltines into crumbs.

2. Combine the placenta, onion, pepper, saltines, bay leaves, white and black pepper, garlic and tomato sauce.

3. Place in a loaf pan, cover then bake for one and a half hours, occasionally pouring off excess liquid.

4. Serve and enjoy!

Placenta Lasagne

Ingredients:

1 fresh, ground, or minced placenta,

2 tblspns olive oil

2 sliced cloves garlic

1/2 tspn oregano

1/2 diced onion

2 tblspns tomato paste, or 1 whole tomato

Method: use a recipe for lasagne and substitute this mixture for one layer of cheese. Quickly sauté all the ingredients in olive oil. Serve. Enjoy!

Placenta Spaghetti Bolognaise

Ingredients:

1 fresh placenta,

1 tblspn butter

1 large can tomato puree

2 cans crushed pear tomatoes

1 onion

2 cloves garlic

1 tblspn molasses

1 bay leaf

1 tblspn rosemary

1 tspn each of: salt, honey, oregano, basil, and fennel

Method: cut the placenta meat into bite-sized pieces, then brown quickly in the butter and olive oil. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer for 1-1.5 hours. Serve. Yummy!

Placenta Cocktail

Ingredients:

1/4 cup fresh, raw placenta

8oz V-8 juice

2 ice cubes

1/2 cup carrot

Method: blend at high speed for 10 seconds. Serve. A tasty thirst quencher!

Breakdown of her thinking:

Somebody who is not in my group is doing it = everybody not in my group is doing it = it's another facet of the evil conspiracy to drag the world to Hell.

I didn't think of it first and I also think it's icky = I cannot force myself to find a Bible verse that can be misapplied to "prove" that everybody should be doing it = it's another facet of the evil conspiracy to drag the world to Hell.

I think it is gross, have you seen placentae? I cannot believe I have lived for so many months of my life with something that gross inside me!

My friend who did the whole dried/encapsulated placenta thing was really embarrassed, but she was rather desperate because the PPD has been so bad with all of her births. She swore me to secrecy and even her husband did not know!

As far as I know, I did not have a placenta, with my child.

Well, to be truthful, I MUST have had one because she has a belly button (pierced, my little heathen) and she was born healthy. But I have no memory of seeing it or feeling it come out, so as far as I know, it did not exist, although it must have!

I do not practise Christianity, nor read Leviticus, but if we had a placenta, we were not defrauded by it, nor tempted to eat it. (I say we, as I think it also belonged to my daughter - or at least kept her alive, so was rather important to her. I am an EBIL single mother.)

We were considering saving the placenta to plant with a tree, but when it came to it, I realized that I was going to be extremely busy and also the freezer was packed. So no go.

I think placentas are interesting because of what they do, but they're sure not the prettiest things on Earth.

Placentas are pretty gross looking, but also so fascinating. I'm a doula, and I always dart over to the watch the placenta be examined after the birth. The docs are always happy to show an interested person, and I've seen some really interesting ones - variations of cord insertions, calcifications (smoker's placentas are gross). the side that goes towards the baby is pretty cool looking, with all the veins spreading across it - it looks like a tree to me, and it's why I think placenta prints are very neat-o.

I won't embed them because some people might be grossed out, but these are some cool pictures of placenta prints.

media.photobucket.com/image/placent%20prints/raeben/DSCF4862.jpg

babble.com/CS/blogs/strollerderby/2008/08/16-22/placenta%20print.jpg

Mine didn't work out so well because I was in a research study that pulled blood from the cord after the birth and basically emptied the placenta of all the extra blood so the veins were really flattened and didn't stand up enough to print well.

***Full disclosure**** I did NOT eat my placentas, but I DID make prints of them, frame them and hang them on my wall. because I think placentas are really, really, really super cool. Does that make me a Wemmick?

I think placentas are super cool too :lol:

Archived