IGNORED

JinJer 47: Sparking J-O-Y

Georgiana

If it's not useful or beautiful, out it goes.

except for my husband

*who I do love but am mad at right now*

• Replies 610
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Bethella said:

We know that they didn't vaccinate for chicken pox because most of the kids got it around the time Josie came home from the hospital.

I’m the same age as Josh and was never vaccinated. I don’t think it was too common to vaccinate for Varicella until the late 90s or even later than that. My daughter is 2 now and Varicella is, thankfully, part of the normal vaccination schedule. 

6 hours ago, QuiverDance said:

To be fair, a lot of people didn't vaccinate for varicella at that time, and IIRC it is not a "mandatory" vaccination (i.e. for school).  This isn't to say I think it is EVER a good idea to forego vaccination.  Just... I get it for chicken pox, specifically.  (I DID vaccinate for chicken pox.)

I believe Varicella is actually required for school in my state (Connecticut.) The state still allows medical and religious exemptions though - I agree with medical exemptions, but I don’t really get the religious exemptions to be honest. 

5 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I waited quite a while for the Varicella vaccine, as I did for Gardasil.  The Varicella vaccine was approved for use in the US in 1995 and Gardasil came out in 2006.  I didn't want my kids to be guinea pigs for untested vaccines, or for the long term effects of what getting these vaccines would mean. the varicella vaccine didn't become mandatory for school until my kids were in upper elementary so that is when they got it, and Guardasil still isn't mandatory, so I'm letting my now adult children choose if/when they get it. 

I'm not anti vaccine at all, but I do think that they give too many vaccines to infants at once sometimes. DS got sick at his 4 month well child visit after being given several vaccines at once, so we spaced the rest of his out over more visits, and we just gave them to DD as a slower rate, to avoid a reaction.  I was home with my kids so I didn't have to follow a strict vaccine schedule,  They still had all their vaccines they were just about a year behind on getting them, and we had medical excuse for preschool and they were caught up by the time they started kindergarten so no big deal. 

My mom, on the other hand, had us get the Gardasil vaccination as soon as we could, I believe because of family history on her side. I was probably a Senior in High School or Freshman in college at the time, so I technically could have said no. It’s been 13 years and so far we haven’t had side effects*.

*Which obviously means nothing because it’s a personal anecdote rather than actual data. Lol!

I just had my daughter vaccinated against HPV, and prior to doing so I researched it pretty heavily, including reading several articles by anti-vaccination people.  The data was overwhelmingly in the pro-vaccine column.  The incidence of adverse effects per dose of Gardasil or other HPV vaccine is infinitesimal!

My sons were both vaccinated for HPV.

Chicken pox may not be the worst disease you can get, but shingles is godawful.  Truly.  I had a fairly mild case about 20 years ago and can still feel residual pain.  The people I know who have had it severely say it is the worst illness they've ever dealt with.  Anecdotally, my sibling had a very serious case last year---after having dealt with a knee replacement that turned into sepsis, which required months-long iv-antibiotics, removal of the knee replacement, more IV antibiotics, and eventually a new knee---it was a year or so in all with the knee, including months of not being able to walk. Still, the shingles was much, much worse. :(

What really sucks is that many insurance companies won't pay for the shingles vaccine, even though the CDC recommends it for age 50+.  Also, in some areas, there is a shortage.

6 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I waited quite a while for the Varicella vaccine, as I did for Gardasil.  The Varicella vaccine was approved for use in the US in 1995 and Gardasil came out in 2006.  I didn't want my kids to be guinea pigs for untested vaccines, or for the long term effects of what getting these vaccines would mean.

Bold mine.

I understand and respect your caution in deciding what gets injected into your kids---I certainly did my research, too and asked a lot of questions.  However, it isn't really accurate to say the vaccines were untested.  They do go through testing before they are released to the public.  Again--I get what you are saying here, but just wanted to clarify that point.

I’m 36 years old and just had my first dose of HPV vaccine. I was a little older than the recommended age when it was first became widely available so I couldn’t get it then. (It was approved for for people with cervixes age 9-26 in 2006 - I was 24 at the time of approval, but it took a few years to become available in my community). They raised the age limit last year, and I’ve always had clear Pap tests and HPV blood tests, so I happily got the shot when my doctor offered. I’m also really happy they recommend it for boys/people with penises now as well - HPV can cause penile cancer, as well as mouth/throat cancer. Everyone benefits from herd immunity.

12 minutes ago, mpheels said:

I’m 36 years old and just had my first dose of HPV vaccine. 

Hold the phone--they're letting people older than 24 get it now? I am so on this at my next doctor's appointment. Thank you for letting me know.  

3 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Hold the phone--they're letting people older than 24 get it now? I am so on this at my next doctor's appointment. Thank you for letting me know.  

Yep, up to age 45 now. I think the powers that be are finally coming to terms that it’s a herd immunity issue, and we benefit from vaccinating everyone who doesn’t already have HPV but is at risk for getting it.

From my previous reading on gardisil, is the reason why they capped it at 26 (in Australia) was because most people have been exposed to the HPV  strains that cause cancer (and the ones that don't) within three years of becoming sexually active. My readings told me that HPV is the "common cold" of stds and that 80 percent of people within three years of losing their virginty have been exposed to it. Hence why they get kids so early as to beat them before sexual activity. I aslo read that is why there was a "religious" backlash against the vaccine as it was seen to promote sexual promiscuity. I was a few years above the 26 (or was it 24???) when it first came in and was not eligible to get it for free. I had been sexually active for awhile and most probably had been exposed.

They especially recommend it for women who have had only one (or very few) sexual partners as their odds for having caught HPV are lower. I had the vaccine at 24, only had one long-term relationship at that point so it seemed like a no brainer. Both my children will receive it when they are the appropriate age.

59 minutes ago, mpheels said:

I’m 36 years old and just had my first dose of HPV vaccine. I was a little older than the recommended age when it was first became widely available so I couldn’t get it then. (It was approved for for people with cervixes age 9-26 in 2006 - I was 24 at the time of approval, but it took a few years to become available in my community). They raised the age limit last year, and I’ve always had clear Pap tests and HPV blood tests, so I happily got the shot when my doctor offered. I’m also really happy they recommend it for boys/people with penises now as well - HPV can cause penile cancer, as well as mouth/throat cancer. Everyone benefits from herd immunity.

Can I ask where you live and how much it cost? I inquired about the HPV vaccine a few years back and was told it would cost me nearly $1000 for all three shots. I'm about as low risk as you can get, so I decided against it. I would reconsider if the cost were substantially reduced, though.

2 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

Can I ask where you live and how much it cost? I inquired about the HPV vaccine a few years back and was told it would cost me nearly $1000 for all three shots. I'm about as low risk as you can get, so I decided against it. I would reconsider if the cost were substantially reduced, though.

I’m in Massachusetts, and didn’t have any out of pocket costs, but I work for a hospital and have ridiculously good health insurance that essentially covers anything/everything a doctor recommends as long as I’m getting care through my employer’s provider network.

The age guidelines just changed a few months ago, so it’s possible your cost would be lower now.

I feel like my doctor told me at my last appointment (like a week ago) that I could get the HPV vaccine.  (I don't think I'll ever have a different / new partner, but I feel like this is a no brainer.  It's preventing cancer.) I am 46.  She mentioned getting a DPT  booster as well.  I am supposed to follow up with her in a month.

1 hour ago, singsingsing said:

I paid about $600 out of pocket for it back in the day, like 10 years ago, for all 3 shots. I thought the cost had fallen, either that or more insurance is covering it since I know quite a few people who had the shots recently and none of them complained about the cost.

5 hours ago, potato said:

I've been vaccinated for chicken pox (as have my siblings) but my one sister and I still got chicken pox as children. 

And to clarify (because this is the internet): I'm not saying that this is what happened with the Duggars by any means, especially with their questionable medical history.  

Just seconding this post!

I was vaccinated, and still got it as a child.  My doctor explained that at that time, it was probably bc I had two shots, versus the three they do now.

But to be fair, I have some genetic health issues, and do not create many antibodies (sometimes not even enough to register on the test - even if i had gotten it just a months earlier).  So I *definitely* understand the need for medical exemptions.  But I do really appreciate when the people around me vaccinate ;)

2 hours ago, Satan'sFortress said:

My sons were both vaccinated for HPV.

Chicken pox may not be the worst disease you can get, but shingles is godawful.  Truly.  I had a fairly mild case about 20 years ago and can still feel residual pain.  The people I know who have had it severely say it is the worst illness they've ever dealt with.  Anecdotally, my sibling had a very serious case last year---after having dealt with a knee replacement that turned into sepsis, which required months-long iv-antibiotics, removal of the knee replacement, more IV antibiotics, and eventually a new knee---it was a year or so in all with the knee, including months of not being able to walk. Still, the shingles was much, much worse. :(

What really sucks is that many insurance companies won't pay for the shingles vaccine, even though the CDC recommends it for age 50+.  Also, in some areas, there is a shortage.

Bold mine.

I understand and respect your caution in deciding what gets injected into your kids---I certainly did my research, too and asked a lot of questions.  However, it isn't really accurate to say the vaccines were untested.  They do go through testing before they are released to the public.  Again--I get what you are saying here, but just wanted to clarify that point.

I was referring to long term effects like what would happen in 10 years after the vaccination was given, remember this was the height of the vaccines cause Autism when guardasil came out, and they honestly weren't 100% sure they didn't yet. And there was a lot of misinformation on the internet so it was hard to tell what was real and what was junk science.  Unless you had young children at that time you don't know what went through parents minds and what some of you aren't understanding from the down votes is that my son had a reaction to vaccines, he had a high fever and was very ill for a week, at 4 months old. When your kid reacts badly to a vaccine you second guess getting anymore. This was very scary, thankfully he was fine after that week, but the doctors weren't sure it was an allergic reaction or if he was just one of those babies who couldn't handle getting 6 different vaccination at once. He only had low grade fevers and sight rashes from vaccines after that. My daughter also had low grade temps and sight rashes after vaccines, so she was given an alternate vaccine schedule as well. This was what drove my decision, to delay the chicken pox vaccine until they HAD to have it so they didn't get anymore vaccines until they absolutely had to have them. My kids are fully vaccinated, my son chose to get the Gardisil vaccines when he turned 19 my daughter declined them, but she's had all the other shots required by schools and recommended by doctors. 

1 hour ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I was referring to long term effects like what would happen in 10 years after the vaccination was given, remember this was the height of the vaccines cause Autism when guardasil came out, and they honestly weren't 100% sure they didn't yet. And there was a lot of misinformation on the internet so it was hard to tell what was real and what was junk science.  Unless you had young children at that time you don't know what went through parents minds and what some of you aren't understanding from the down votes is that my son had a reaction to vaccines, he had a high fever and was very ill for a week, at 4 months old. When your kid reacts badly to a vaccine you second guess getting anymore. This was very scary, thankfully he was fine after that week, but the doctors weren't sure it was an allergic reaction or if he was just one of those babies who couldn't handle getting 6 different vaccination at once. He only had low grade fevers and sight rashes from vaccines after that. My daughter also had low grade temps and sight rashes after vaccines, so she was given an alternate vaccine schedule as well. This was what drove my decision, to delay the chicken pox vaccine until they HAD to have it so they didn't get anymore vaccines until they absolutely had to have them. My kids are fully vaccinated, my son chose to get the Gardisil vaccines when he turned 19 my daughter declined them, but she's had all the other shots required by schools and recommended by doctors. 

I totally get this. There is so much misinformation that it is hard NOT to be apprehensive. I really did a lot of research to feel comfortable with HPV vaccine, which is not my normal. I did not just take my ped’s word for it, and normally I do! 

I remember getting the HPV vaccine at school when I was 14. I also remember coming out of the building where they were being done and seeing one of my friends lying on the ground, I assumed she fainted though I didn’t see it. We were advised to sit down for a bit following getting done. 

When I was a kid, I used to really hate being vaccinated and would really scream, like worse than a normal kid would. Perhaps it was related to my ASD (was diagnosed at 22, so well after I’d left school). Thankfully I’d matured by the time it came to the HPV vaccine :pb_lol:

To all the parents who inform themselves and their kids about HPV (and sexual health in general) THANK YOU! Y'all are doing the Lord's work. 

I was never told about it.  When I first asked my GP about it a year ago (after very confusing research)  she told me "Just don't have sex until you get married". Yes, she literally said that. She then told me I might get very sick, get permanent brain fog and that it didn't work anyways. 

I'm considering getting it now but I've read research that it's less effective for black women & Caribbean women because we tend to get strains not covered by the vaccine. Black women are also more likely to die from cervical cancer than their white counterparts (with screening). And turns out the Caribbean is considered a high-risk population ?

Well, I didn't listen to my GP and learned all about HPV effectiveness and risks for black women about a month ago right after I first became sexually active (which I tried to do as safely as possible), so now I'm terrified that God is going to punish me with cervical cancer. Yippee. 

22 minutes ago, Jinder Roles said:

To all the parents who inform themselves and their kids about HPV (and sexual health in general) THANK YOU! Y'all are doing the Lord's work. 

I was never told about it.  When I first asked my GP about it a year ago (after very confusing research)  she told me "Just don't have sex until you get married". Yes, she literally said that. She then told me I might get very sick, get permanent brain fog and that it didn't work anyways. 

I'm considering getting it now but I've read research that it's less effective for black women & Caribbean women because we tend to get strains not covered by the vaccine. Black women are also more likely to die from cervical cancer than their white counterparts (with screening). And turns out the Caribbean is considered a high-risk population ?

Well, I didn't listen to my GP and learned all about HPV effectiveness and risks for black women about a month ago right after I first became sexually active (which I tried to do as safely as possible), so now I'm terrified that God is going to punish me with cervical cancer. Yippee. 

Your DOCTOR told you that?!!!!!? Wow. That’s awful. Even if she doesn’t think the vaccine is a good idea- why the hell would she give such an inappropriate response? I’m sorry you had that experience.

*been lurking, but vaccines are my love so here I am*

I was born in the lat 80's to (I feel) one the most pro-vax women on this planet (thank you mom). Still at the time I think the chicken pox shot either was not a thing in AR or was not covered by insurance? Either way I caught it when I was 2 and it was so bad I was nearly hospitalized. So yes chicken pox is and can be very serious. I am ashamed that I didn't really understand and waited so long to get my own child vaccinated against chicken pox. Everything else was no question, but it really took my mom explaining how bad it was when I had it and my own reading about shingles and what a serious case of chicken pox can do to you to make me realize how important it is. I am appalled that the NHS does not offer it and in my FB baby groups it is heartbreaking to see photos of so many 7-9 month olds with chicken pox already. I am literally afraid to take my baby outside. He will be getting the shot as soon as he is old enough (it is offered in Germany and paid for by insurance and we are moving back at just that time).

I cannot believe I did not know the HPV vaccine age has been raised!! Is there some sort of test you can do to see if you would benefit from having it? I wonder if it has been raised in Europe? My husband and I have been discussing having our oldest son vaccinated against HPV and how much it would cost and where to get it, but it looks like last year (or going into effect this year?) Germany has jumped on the "ah, yes, boys need this too". I am excited that he can get it and we have spoken to him about needing to refrain from even deep throat kissing until then (he is 14 and while don't preach abstinence or anything, we did ask him to be very honest with us about that for the vaccine).

My sister is twelve years younger than me, so born in 98 and I was in 86. She received a vax for chicken pox and never had it, I did not. I had chicken pox in kindergarten. I wasn't even aware until I was older (adult) that they had a vaccination for it and was initially surprised my sister never contracted it. I was still part of the crowd where mothers would go ahead and purposely infect their children all together if they knew someone who had it to get it over with because it was seen as an inevitability. 

14 hours ago, mpheels said:

I’m in Massachusetts, and didn’t have any out of pocket costs, but I work for a hospital and have ridiculously good health insurance that essentially covers anything/everything a doctor recommends as long as I’m getting care through my employer’s provider network.

The age guidelines just changed a few months ago, so it’s possible your cost would be lower now.

I just want to say how lucky you are. I work in healthcare and the insurance is only so-so and that's WITH seeing the providers at our own clinics. They offer a "2nd tier" network for when you get care outside the organization but then they double everything from the deductible to coinsurance to out of pocket max. Really sucks when you have to see a specialist that your own organization doesn't offer so you feel like you are being punished by having to pay double. And I'm still bitter about them not covering infertility treatments or offering any kind of paid maternity leave (and we are a "baby friendly" hospital, what a joke). Sadly its a trend around here and not just where I work because my sister who works for another healthcare organization experienced the same thing. Its sad that many people who work at hospitals choose to go on their spouses insurance because it usually covers more.

I was born in 91' and was one of those kids who was purposely exposed to the chicken pox to "get it over with". I did get first of the HPV series when I was 18 but never went back for the other two. The doctor never explained the vaccine to me or really even asked me if I wanted it- he just said I should get it and sent me down the hall to the nurse to get injected. I barely knew what I had been injected with by the time I walked out. Then I got the bill for $150 for just that one and being an 18 year old college student knew I couldn't afford to come back and pay that two more times. 

I think a lot of vaccine thoughts are determined by when you grew up. I was born in 89, and I got the chicken pox before there was a vaccine available. Luckily I was young enough not to remember it. I don't think it was a serious case, definitely no hospitalization. My brother was born in 94, and the doctors recommended to wait and see if he got chicken pox on his own. He hadn't by the time he was 7 or 8, so they vaccinated him then. Now I don't think my parents would wait, they'd just get him vaccinated from the start. Herd immunity is so important, and shingles are no joke. My college roommate actually got shingles when she was 20. It's pretty rare to get them that young, but it can happen. She had these sores on her hip that itched and hurt like crazy. It makes me want to get the shingles vaccine now, though I don't think I can at 29....But the chicken pox was not seen as a big deal when I was younger, so it took a while for the vaccine to gain momentum.

As for the HPV shot, I was 16 or 17 when it first came out and I liked the idea of being a guinea pig for the vaccine. I did a whole school project on the scientific, political, and social background surrounding it. I'm grateful that when I asked my parents to let me get the vaccine they were on board. I don't know if they had to pay a lot for it or if it was covered by our insurance. They didn't say.

I also have a lot of friends who are pro-vaccine, fully vaccinated otherwise, but refuse to get the flu shot every year because it's "not worth it", etc. The flu shot wasn't available when we were all young, and it was always touted as optional when it first came out. It's only the last few years where everyone is strongly recommended to get one for herd immunity. But it's so ingrained as optional now, it's hard to overcome people's perceptions. Maybe with time, as children who are used to getting it every year get older, the vaccination rates will go up.

And of course, now that the internet is the way it is, misinformation can get spread so easily. Even though all the solid research shows that vaccines are much safer than the diseases they protect against, and how much good they do when everyone who is able to gets them, people still don't want to. It's hard, because I feel very strongly that everyone deserves bodily autonomy, but vaccines are such a benefit to public health. I wish they didn't have such a big PR problem.

9 hours ago, Jinder Roles said:

I haven't read up on HPV vaccine in a long time but I thought I recalled that it wasn't effective once you were sexually active, or has that changed?  I saw the other day they have something called Guardasil 9 but I didn't get a chance to read up on that. 

14 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I can see being cautious with a new vaccine, and I'll admit that, while I was in the target range when Gardisil came out, I didn't get it partly because I was curious how the general population would do first. I still haven't actually gotten it and at this point I don't know if I will, as I'm married and monogamous. Maybe if I'm ever in a position where I might be involved with a new partner I will, but until then I don't know if I'll bother, especially with having to get the series rather than only one shot.

I also missed the chicken pox vaccine, but that was more timing than intent. I had chicken pox at age six and I don't think the vaccine was available yet. I'm not sure if my parents would have gotten me it even if it was, but probably.

For my kids, unless there is a physiological reason like the reaction @allthegoodnamesrgone cites above, they're getting the full vaccine series on schedule. My son's already gotten chicken pox, MMR, rotavirus, etc., because I'd rather risk a vaccine reaction than the full disease, especially since he hasn't had any reactions yet. I'm not sure how I'm handling Gardasil; depending on the recommended age, I suspect I'll talk it over with my husband and probably the child, as well.

He gets flu shots, too, as does my husband. I kind of fall down on those, unfortunately, because son gets them at regular doctor's appointments and husband gets them at work, but I have to arrange childcare and an appointment at the drugstore or doctor's office for mine. I made an effort this year, though, since I'm pregnant and we have a new baby in the family, and I am NOT going to be responsible for getting a newborn sick if I can help it!

• Georgiana locked this topic

Archived