IGNORED

Trolls are butthurt over new She-Ra design

47of74

The new design for She-Ra came out recently. 

Of course there are some butt hurt basement dwellers all bent out of shape about the new design.

There’s so much to be excited about. The original She-Ra told the story of Princess Adora, the long-lost twin sister of Prince Adam (aka He-Man). She’s able to transform into She-Ra via the Sword of Protection, the parallel to her brother’s Sword of Power. The show was an over-the-top 80s joy, and Stevenson is such a fantastic choice to bring us a more modern but equally fantastic version. The new animation style totally reflects that. It’s so cool to see a more realistic-looking She-Ra, with muscled arms and a more practical (but still gorgeous) outfit. Plus, in the original, Adam and Adora were 16-year-old children. I’m not sure if that will be true of the reboot, but it’s nice to see a youthful, playful-looking She-Ra.

Not everyone is happy about the new design, of course. A whole bunch of grown-ass dudes have felt the need to let us all know this new She-Ra–a character from an animated children’s show–doesn’t sufficiently impress them and their potential boners. I don’t even want to give these weirdos the attention of embedding their tweets, but boy, they are super mad that She-Ra no longer lives up to the scale of hotness they demand from what is, again, a show for children.

She-Ra and Babylon 5 creator has weighed in on the man babies whining about the new design...

But a certain segment of the Internet took issue with the fact that this character intended for a cartoon no longer had the mile-long legs, shapely figure, and scant costume of their “ideal” woman, the original She-Ra. And of course, they kicked up a furious fuss about it.

Enter Straczynski, with a wise, sensitive, and illuminating Twitter thread. We talk a lot about the growing fan toxicity over all sorts of properties that dare update themselves from what these men imagine were the halcyon days of their early years, when women wore less just for their gaze or else were barely present at all, where people of color held token roles or were otherwise invisible.

There’s been a call, answered particularly after the sexist and racist harassment faced by Star Wars actress Kelly Marie Tran, for creatives to become involved themselves, and help push back against the angry noise. Thankfully, this is a growing trend—Tran had powerful defenders come out on her side, as well as legions of loving fans.

In a thread on Twitter, J. Michael Straczynski gave a masterclass in how a creative can best respond to manbaby furor. I hope that all of Hollywood and all fans everywhere are paying attention.

• 4 weeks later...

Its a stupid thing to get upset about. They also rioted about the Thundercats redesign. Star Trek. Superman ... etc, Actually, every reincarnation of an existing property is met with some resistance from a certain crowd for various reasons.

On 8/11/2018 at 8:35 PM, Bluenoser said:

Its a stupid thing to get upset about. They also rioted about the Thundercats redesign. Star Trek. Superman ... etc, Actually, every reincarnation of an existing property is met with some resistance from a certain crowd for various reasons.

Yeah, I've noticed that.  I've noticed quite a lot of butt hurt about the strong female characters in the sequel trilogy.  Especially Rey and Princess Leia in the Last Jedi. 

• 2 weeks later...

"no longer lives up to the scale of hotness they demand" 

= We are outraged by this new design because we wank to cartoons

Archived