IGNORED

The Midterm Elections

fraurosena

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

The Green party dude in OH

My heart sank when I saw the Green Party candidate on the ballot yesterday.  I've voted Green from time-to-time, but not in elections where this much was at stake.  My precinct, which is located on the central urban tip of the OH12 gerrymander, is really Blue-Green, with very few Repugs. From the yard signs, you'd never guess we vote in a district demographically weighted toward the Reds.  We're just north of the OSU campus.  Lots of idealists in this section of the gerrymander.  You can bet that Greens will be taken to task for showing up on the ballot.  I've already seen the recriminations start among locals on my FB feed.

Call me stubborn, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel until some 8500 provisional ballots are counted.

3 hours ago, Drala said:

Call me stubborn, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel until some 8500 provisional ballots are counted.

My rule is don't give up if it's still mathematically possible for your preferred candidate to win. :pb_smile:

Since every member of the US House is up for reelection in November, I look at this race as a sort of dress rehearsal. Neither side should relax because of how this special election finally turns out.

11 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

The Green party dude in OH

In other words, he's a scientologist.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/08/09/ohio-finds-nearly-600-uncounted-votes-in-too-close-to-call-special-election/23499049/

Ohio officials have discovered 588 uncounted votes in this week’s special election for the 12th Congressional District, further tightening the already too-close-to-call race.

“The votes from a portion of one voting location had not been processed into the tabulation system,” the Franklin County Board of Elections said in a press releaseWednesday. The uncounted votes were from a Columbus suburb.

Prior to the discovery, Republican Troy Balderson led Democrat Danny O’Connor by more than 1,700 votes. With the 588 votes included, the margin narrows to 1,564, according to the Cincinnati Enquirer. 

President Donald Trump prematurely declared victory for Balderson on Tuesday night.

But O’Connor said he won’t concede until all the votes are counted. The campaign is waiting for 1,722 provisional ballots and 1,750 absentee ballots to be tallied, a spokesperson told HuffPost on Tuesday night. 

Whatever happens in this special election, the two candidates will meet again in the November general election. But Republicans may be concerned that a district Trump won by a margin of 11 percentage points in 2016 has required a big mobilization of national resources.

The Franklin County Board of Elections will certify the final results on Aug. 24.

I had completely forgotten about this jackass:

Thread about him:

Colbert did a segment on him:

Don't look now but there was a mistake in Kobach's favor in the election count he is supervising. 

I'm sure it's just a coincidence 

On one hand if she'd be the first it would be great but on the other hand it's terrible that she'd be the first.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present Corey Stewart:

@GreyhoundFan, would you please give us a heads up about any debates he agrees to particpate in? I'd love to watch if there's a livestream available.

If nothing is done about this, there is no chance of fair elections.

If this can be done now, you can bet your last dollar that it was done in 2016.  

On 8/10/2018 at 11:32 PM, Cartmann99 said:

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present Corey Stewart:

@GreyhoundFan, would you please give us a heads up about any debates he agrees to particpate in? I'd love to watch if there's a livestream available.

Of course I will. He was in one a while back. The audience actually started mocking him. It was priceless.

This is great: "Goodlatte's son donates to Democrat running to replace him"

Spoiler

A high-ranking Republican lawmaker's son donated the "maximum amount" to a Democrat running to replace his father.

Bobby Goodlatte, son of House Judiciary Committee Chairman Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.), made the surprise announcement on Twitter Sunday night. Goodlatte is retiring after 13 terms in Congress.

"I just gave the maximum allowed donation to Jennifer Lewis, a democrat running for my father's congressional seat. I've also gotten 5 other folks to commit to donate the max. 2018 is the year to flip districts — let's do this!" Bobby Goodlatte wrote on Twitter, where he describes himself as a product designer and angel investor based in San Francisco.

President Donald Trump carried the central Virginia district with nearly 60 percent of the vote in 2016, and Mitt Romney did the same in the 2012 presidential election. Goodlatte received two-thirds of the vote that year.

Republican nominee Ben Cline starts with a base of support in the district after 16 years in the state House of Delegates. Cline previously served as Goodlatte’s chief of staff. He has outraised Lewis more than 5-to-1 through June 30, the end of the most recent Federal Election Commission reporting period.

Bobby Goodlatte's donation comes as Democrats across the country edge toward flipping the House and gaining a majority. Lewis beat three Democratic competitors in the state's primary election in June, grabbing 48 percent of the vote.

Goodlatte's office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

• Destiny locked this topic

Archived