IGNORED

Jinger 34: Now with Hol(e)y Jeans and Pregnant!

samurai_sarah

• Replies 603
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the topics in the last thread was swimwear. I have an ordinary one-piece swimsuit. (It's a lap suit style.) The main reason I would get a more modest style suit, or 2 pieces, would be for wearing outdoors. I always end up wearing a cotton t-shirt over my suit to prevent sunburn, so why not get a short sleeved swim top? 

As a non-religious modest dresser, I've long been a fan of the burqini, originally designed for Muslim women but which can be worn by anyone.

https://ahiida.com/home.php

It's about as sun-safe as you can get, in a variety of colours and styles. No I don't work for the company, just a big fan :)

Thanks for the links ladies!
I'm not a modesty dresser for religious reasons either, but I'm a super pale white girl, who burns easy - and I need to be prepared for next summer when my boys will want to start spending more time by the pool (my oldest is five, and he's already asking for a beach pass to one of the 10,000 Minnesotan lakes) :D

JCPenny also sells swimsuit separates.

Years ago, Bali used to sell swimsuit tops according to bra size. So you could actually buy a swimsuit for a D, DD, DDD cup. 

The burqini's are cute. I have pale skin as well, and I don't like men looking at my body in swimsuits because it makes me feel naked and uncomfortable. I stick with my boring black one piece.

Rashguards are the best thing on earth. I love mine. 

Seriously if you're ever looking for more coverage I highly recommend picking one up, they can be cheaper than swimwear that's specifically marketed as modest and they work well with any type of bottoms. 

I fell in love with them the summer I was working as a camp counsellor and rafting every week, having something between my skin and the life jacket was a God send. 

I'd highly recommenced a rashvest/rashguard too. You can get some really fashionable ones. I have two that have zips down the front (way, way easier than trying to pull a wet one over your head!) and different sleeve lengths depending on how much coverage you want. Not only do the keep the sun off, but they also keep you a bit warmer if the water is chilly. 

Also, many have sun protection ratings of 50+. So not only will you feel more comfortable, but your also doing yourself a favour and keeping your skin protected! This is an Australian site, but it gives you a good idea of some different brands and styles you can look into: https://www.theiconic.com.au/womens-clothing-swimwear-rash-vests/?page=1

You can wear your swimsuit of choice underneath, and then just add a pair of boardshorts if needed! (Great for those of us that want to cover our behind a bit more too!) Finding fashionable and comfortable boardshorts is pretty easy now days too.

13 hours ago, Cactus said:

As a non-religious modest dresser, I've long been a fan of the burqini, originally designed for Muslim women but which can be worn by anyone.

https://ahiida.com/home.php

It's about as sun-safe as you can get, in a variety of colours and styles. No I don't work for the company, just a big fan :)

I saw a lady wearing one of these on the surf simulator on the cruise we were on last year :)

My granddaughter with albinism had to wear a rashguard when she swims or is at the beach as well as wearing sunscreen over all over her body.  It's great that wearing these are becoming more common.

@Kangaroo

Thanks for the tip-off! How did I not know these things existed?!? Swimwear that looks cute AND comes with SPF? That's like...you mean, I can get away with NOT immersing myself and marinating in sun-block? Sold! :) 

1 hour ago, samurai_sarah said:

@Kangaroo

Thanks for the tip-off! How did I not know these things existed?!? Swimwear that looks cute AND comes with SPF? That's like...you mean, I can get away with NOT immersing myself and marinating in sun-block? Sold! :) 

Obviously you'll still need to add it to any exposed skin, but I know right! Given how many times you need to reapply during a day at the beach, they're a good investment. Less sunscreen, more consistent protection and modesty if that's what you want :)

3 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

I have two that have zips down the front (way, way easier than trying to pull a wet one over your head!)

That would be helpful. The first time I tried to put one on I couldn’t get the damn thing over my head. I had to go to multiple stores to find one.

My brother also has a “one size fits all” hat that he sort of has to perch on top of his head...I guess big heads run in the family?

38 minutes ago, HarryPotterFan said:

That would be helpful. The first time I tried to put one on I couldn’t get the damn thing over my head. I had to go to multiple stores to find one.

My brother also has a “one size fits all” hat that he sort of has to perch on top of his head...I guess big heads run in the family?

The zips are amazing. Even a half zip makes so much of a difference. It took me a long time to find ones with zips too, I'm surprised they aren't more common because the make wearing them so much better.

Very timely - Aussies, I was in BigW today - they have women’s LS rashies with zips for $20. SPF 50+ as well.

Yep, I bought one!

https://www.bigw.com.au/product/wave-zone-core-long-sleeve-rashie/p/BIGW592545/

Sorry to be Aus-centric but I have another recommendation. I’m only 40 but have had skin cancer already. This is the oncologist recommended sunscreen - it’s available in pharmacies and is (IMO) brilliant. I can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s fine for babies over 6 months old and is perfect for sensitive skin.

http://www.sunsense.com.au/products/sensitive-spf-50/

I do actually like some of the shorter burqinis. I probably wouldn't buy one as I don't swim that often, and I love the feeling of water on my skin. 

3 hours ago, Firebird said:

I do actually like some of the shorter burqinis. I probably wouldn't buy one as I don't swim that often, and I love the feeling of water on my skin. 

I really like those too, If thy had one with short sleeves I'd so wear that, as a full figure gal i would feel so much less exposed. and I like the the shirt isn't form fitting. 

8 hours ago, adidas said:

Sorry to be Aus-centric but I have another recommendation. I’m only 40 but have had skin cancer already. This is the oncologist recommended sunscreen - it’s available in pharmacies and is (IMO) brilliant. I can’t recommend it highly enough. It’s fine for babies over 6 months old and is perfect for sensitive skin.

http://www.sunsense.com.au/products/sensitive-spf-50/

De-lurking because I find this an interesting coincidence.  I'm American, but I visited Australia last year because my cousin and her family are living there for her husband's job, plus I've wanted to see Australia since I was a little kid.  I randomly chose this exact sunscreen at a discount chemist in Sydney before heading up to Cairns for the second leg of my trip.  I didn't get any sunburn (and I am very pale), so I figured I picked a good one, but it's nice to hear it confirmed!  I'm still using that sunscreen, too, and I'm kind of dreading running out of it (I call it my "crazy Australian sunscreen").

Since I live in the UK there is little call for sunscreen (although son is a bit gingery so I slather it on him anyway!). However when I’ve travelled I have always found Aussie sunscreens are the best. There is a brilliant stick by Australian Gold which I love.

As a family of five,  living on the coast,  we go through a ton of sunscreen. Rash guards are a must for the kids or it takes ages to get ready and a bucket full of sunblock.  I love Australian Gold as well. It is inexpensive, rates pretty well on the EWG, and we can get it in mineral only since one kid is allergic to a chemical sunscreen component. 

5 hours ago, spacecase33 said:

De-lurking because I find this an interesting coincidence.  I'm American, but I visited Australia last year because my cousin and her family are living there for her husband's job, plus I've wanted to see Australia since I was a little kid.  I randomly chose this exact sunscreen at a discount chemist in Sydney before heading up to Cairns for the second leg of my trip.  I didn't get any sunburn (and I am very pale), so I figured I picked a good one, but it's nice to hear it confirmed!  I'm still using that sunscreen, too, and I'm kind of dreading running out of it (I call it my "crazy Australian sunscreen").

I wonder if you can buy it online. If not, I could send you some. 

Fun fact - the only time I’ve ever seen Australian Gold sunscreen was in the US :D

13 minutes ago, adidas said:

I wonder if you can buy it online. If not, I could send you some. 

Fun fact - the only time I’ve ever seen Australian Gold sunscreen was in the US :D

It probably is online somewhere - I should take a look before I run out!

23 minutes ago, spacecase33 said:

It probably is online somewhere - I should take a look before I run out!

It's on Amazon. Not cheap, but sounds like it's worth it? I may get some before summer. I am fair, have sensitive skin and am covered in moles. So sunscreen is a must. Is this one scented? 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived